NCO Financial Services / Repeatedly calling my cellphone looking for a wrong person

I had bought a new cell phone and got a new number in Dec 2006. Starting from day1 I have been receiving calls from an unknown number where a automated voice speaks, asking me to call back at a [protected].

I came to know this is NCO financial and I promptly called them. They told me they are looking for a person (lets call him "X" ) about a bill he had not paid.

I told them that I am not the person they are looking for and that the number they have in their records must be old and incorrect , so kindly remove the number. Despite that complain, I keep getting calls everyday asking me to call that 877 number.

Later I kept getting calls from "Unknown" number, this time a human voice at the other end. I told them "again" that they are reaching a wrong person and they should remove the number from their list. The person was apologetic and assured me that the number would be removed and they would not call me.

The next day I got a call "again" looking for Mr "X" . When I told them what had happened, I was told that it takes 24-48 hours for the number to get deleted and he apologized. The moment I hung up my phone, I got a call "Again" from an "Unknown" number. I had it, this time I lambasted the person on the other end and he "again" assured me that this will not happen "again".

Well guess what, I got a call from them again, 2 days later. This time I had to be rude and bluntly tell them that they don't understand English and had to teach them a couple of cuss words. Its been a month and the calls haven't stopped. I get more calls from them, than my relatives and friends.

I am fed up, I don't know how and who to approach regarding this issue.

Comments

2nd of Jul, 2007

NCO fined by Pennsylvania - January 30, 2006

NCO Group, Inc., a leading provider of business process outsourcing services, announced today that it entered into an Assurance of Voluntary Compliance with the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Under the terms of the Agreement, NCO specifically denies that it has engaged in unlawful or inappropriate business practices, and has agreed to pay the Commonwealth $300,000 to be used towards the costs of the investigation and/or future public protection purposes. The Agreement also requires NCO to comply with consumer protection laws and to maintain certain policies and procedures designed to facilitate and monitor its ongoing compliance.

Commenting on the Agreement Michael J. Barrist, NCO Chairman and CEO stated; "It has always been our policy to work with regulators to assure that we are promptly and effectively responding to consumer issues. As the largest provider of Accounts Receivable Collection services in the world, NCO contacts consumers approximately 400 million times per year. Although we provide our services on a national basis, a disproportionate number of consumers look to the Commonwealth for assistance because we are headquartered in Pennsylvania. I am very pleased we were able to reach this Agreement with the Commonwealth since it resolves all issues to date and, more importantly, provides for a positive working relationship in the future."

They also trade on the stock exchange and are governed by the SEC so that means they have shareholders.

• Je
      10th of Jul, 2007

There is a Law that specifically addresses the use of a "computer directed dialing" call made to cell phones...

Keep track of the time and dates of these calls... then get a copy of your bill... they can be fined and you can collect... FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS PER CALL!!! But, you must be able to prove the calls took place... so it is imperative you have the bill to back you up!!!

• Je
      30th of Jul, 2007

I have had the same phone calls for months on my cell phone. When I call the number, there is no answer. The phone rings a few times, picks up, but there is no person or recording.

• Ca
      24th of Jan, 2008

I REALLY HATE NCO FINANCIAL SERVICES TOO I HAVE BEEN DEALING WITH THEM SINCE SETEMBER OF LAST YEAR MY STORY GOES MY MOM AND DAD HAD AN AMERICAN EXPRESS ACCOUNT THAT THEY ARE CLAIMING THAT THEY OWE 21,255.35 AND I HAVE TOLD THEM OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN THAT MY MOM AND DADS BALANCE IS LIKE 5,000 SOMETHING AND ALL THE OTHER CHARGES ON THE ACCOUNT ARE FRADULENT CHARGES THEY ALSO HAD TOLD ME AS OF NOVEMBER 19TH THEY HAD SENT ME STATEMENTS FROM AMERICAN EXPRESS OF THE FRADULENT CHARGES AND ARE NOT DOING ANYTHING FOR ME NOW THEY CLAIM THAT THEY WANT 5,000 DOLLARS FROM ME IMMEDITALLY OR THEY WILL TAKE ME TO COURT AND SUE ME I HAD GOTTEN REALLY NASTY WITH THEM SAYING YOU CAN DO WHAT EVER YOU WANT YOU DONT KNOW ME AND I DONT KNOW YOUAND YOU CANT DEMAND 5,000 ONE SHOT THEY DIDNT EVEN WANT TO WORK OUT A PAYMENT PLAN WITH ME I HAD IT WITH THIS COMPANY WHAT SHOULD I DO PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

• Mr
      21st of Apr, 2008

Hello there, I use to work for NCO for 2 and half years, it is "THE WORST JOB" in the history of the planet, I hate this company with a passion, they screwed me on my pay time and time again, they still owe me money but they found a loop hole in the legal system so they would not have to pay me, they also screwed up a few job opportunities for me. I have never hated a company more in my life and it's your lucky day I stumbled onto your rant. This company has made my life hell for the last 5 years now, even screwing me on my taxes. I would really enjoy helping you sue the "###" out of this company and heres how. The government installed a program called the National Do Not Call Registry or go to https://www.donotcall.gov/ and sign up right away. Wait 31 days after registering and if they call again after the 31 days go directly to the donotcall.gov website and file a complaint. I know with NCO's systems they can't get rid of the number for 90 days, so let the calls accumlate and for each time they call you after the 31 days, you can sue them $1100 per infraction/per call made to your phone. tell me if it works out for you!!!

If you win a law suit, please tell me, it will make me feel good inside, BRING THOSE ###ERS TO THERE KNEES AND DON'T FEEL BAD ABOUT ###ING THEM OVER AS HARD AS POSSIABLE, NCO IS THE KINDA COMPANY THAT WOULD CUT OPEN A BABIES THROAT IF THEY THOUGH IT WOULD MAKE THEM EVEN $1!!!

• Bo
      9th of Jun, 2008

Here are 2 email addresses to use:

mike.barrist@ncogroup.com - CEO
    lisa.signore@ncogroup.com - General Counsel

I would email and fax to both of these idiots requesting validation and also write to your State Attorney General for help. These are "bottom feeding ### suckers".

• Al
      1st of Jul, 2008
    NCO Financial Services - Harassing calls
    NCO Financial Services
    Phone: 888-848-0833

NCO calls me every day, sometimes twice a day looking for somebody that owes a debt. I have spoken to them repeatedly and told them that they have the wrong debtor yet they continue to call.

• Fl
      31st of Oct, 2008

DATE:
    Sent Via Certified Mail
    TO:

RE: Cease & Desist Phone Contact
    To Whom It May Concern:
    I am writing in response to your constant phone calls!
    According to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, [15 USC 1692c] Section 805(c): CEASING COMMUNICATION: You must cease all communication with me after being notified in writing that I no longer wish to communicate with you. Therefore, I demand that you stop calling me at home, at work, on my cell phone or at any other location!
    In accordance with the federal FDCPA, now that you have received this "stop calling" letter, you may only contact me to inform me that you:
    • are terminating further collection efforts;
    • invoking specified remedies which are ordinarily invoked by you or your company; or
    • intend to invoke a specified remedy.
    Be advised that I am well aware of my rights! For instance, I know that any future contact by you or your company violates the FDCPA and that since you already have my location information, calls made by you or your company to any 3rd party concerning me violates section 805(b)2 of the FDCPA.
    Be advised that I am keeping accurate records of all correspondence from you and your company, including tape recording all phone calls. If you continue calling me I will pursue all available legal actions to stop you from harassing me and my family.

FROM:

Address:

CC: Federal Trade Commission
    Consumer Response Center
    600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
    Washington, DC 20580
    877-382-4357

Rules for collections
    • Collector may ONLY speak to the person that owes the debt or their spouse. They are NOT able to say to anyone else that they are a calling from a collection agency.
    • Can only call from 8AM to 9PM
    • Can NOT call multiple times in a day – even if you hang up on them.
    • Can NOT threaten to communicate with any OTHER PERSON other than the debtor (or their spouse) and DEFINATLY not their EMPLOYER.
    • If the Debtor is represented by an attorney, They can NOT attempt further contact with you.
    • It’s the law that a if a debtor notifies the creditor in WRITING that they wish no further communication – they have to stop, or they will be fined by the FCC.
    • Collectors can NOT threat or use obscene language, or harass the caller
    • Collectors can NOT IMPLY in ANY MANNER that they are an attorney or associated with a legal firm
    • They can NOT represent or imply that FAILURE to pay the debt will result in arrest, wage garnishment or attachment.
    • They can not legally threat any action that they do NOT intent to take, like a lawsuit.
    • The call must disclose their name & the company they are collecting for.
    • They can NOT threaten to report to a credit reporting bureau (your payment is late, it’s already reflected on your credit)
    • They can NOT use false representation or deceptive means to collect on any debt or to obtain information.

**** IMPORTANT: the statue of limitations is 4 years to legally collect on a debt. Do not EVER admit the debt is yours. Do not EVER agree to make payments. If you pay ONE PENNY, or promise, the collection clock starts all over again!!!

Keep a record of EVERY call. Get the callers NAME, Company & Address.

• Li
      3rd of Jul, 2009

I'm wondering if anyone here knows about the statue of limitations and how some collections agencies, such as the common wealth and others re-start the clock on reporting limitations for people who've they had no contact with?
    Last time I checked my report there was an item which was to be removed, according to that report on 4/10/09, and now my report says this account was opened last year. How can they do that if I've had no contact with them?

• Su
      24th of Mar, 2010

I WORK THERE AND YOU CAN ALL GO ### YOUR SELVES UP THE ### WITH A DEAD GOAT DICK

• Mo
      18th of Aug, 2010

NCO financial just called MY BOSS AT HIS HOUSE... OMG!!! I recently got laid off from my previous and was unemployed for 6 months. I thankfully found another job and have been employed now for 1 year and trying to get my finances back on track. I could possibly get fired because of this. My boss just called and asked if I knew why NCO financial debt collection would be calling him. They even gave him the reference number to my case and my name... I'm in tears right now... How can they do this???? Ruin peoples lives? How did they get his number ?

• Ly
      2nd of Jan, 2011

Are Farrell & Seldin junk buyers? Do they represent Capital One Bank or not? Cap. One sent my alleged debt to a Co. called NCO Financial who call me over and over, all day long. Now months and months later, I get a letter from Farrell & Seldin stating that they represent Capital One. I am asking for Verification of Debt. The letter also states that "no attorney with this firm has personally reviewed the particular circumstances of your account." And that they will obtain verification and mail it to me.

• Da
      1st of Feb, 2012

They call my house.. 5 times a day sometimes.. 7 days a week.. It need to stop... I have Health issues.. They need to stop..