Nazareth Powerhouse Gym / Gym Closed

1 Nazareth, PA, United States Review updated:

STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE. OWNER Mike Leone has not followed through on any promises.

The gym closed without advance warning and stuck a lot of people for membership fees. They say they "moved" but there is no gym in operation at the "new" location. They blame "zoning" problems but this seems like a serious case of poor business management.

Rumor has it they were pretty behind on rent at the old location and needed to move quickly. Seems like they didn't do much up-front work on the move and tried to move an entire gym in 4 days, WITHOUT zoning permits. Are you kidding me? The "new" location at Rt 22 and 191 near Cigars International is a boarded-up building with exercise equipment outside the building and a poorly-worded sign stating the gym is moving in a "new direction". I'll say they'removing in a new direction...down the tubes.

The Township forced them to stop citing concerns about the type of business it is and also some safety concerns with the new building. This info is per gym employees.

I was forced to cancel my credit card because they over-charged me and did not follow through on my refund. They took $270 from my wife in January for a 1-year membership and $30 enrollment fee and there is no way for her to get a refund because the phone goes unanswered.

Stay away from this place until new ownership takes over, if that happens.

Mi

Comments

• Te
      23rd of Mar, 2009

The gym closed and we are out $600.00.
    The owner refuses to refund us.

The gym never had tanning or adequate space for exercise classes.
    We feel robbed and hope this does not happen to anyone else.

• Na
      23rd of Mar, 2009

Mike,

Thanks for the info, you are so right. I tired to get in touch by phone, the Nazareth Powerhouse Gym folks...Do Not Answer. I sent emails via their website...the Nazareth Powerhouse Gym folks...Do Not Answer. They must have moved in the middle of the night, telling no one. I really hope that the landloard of that building "Takes them to the Cleaners"...and then some.
    We went to the gym last thursday and found doors locked no one there. When we looked through the windows and saw all the computers gone and egg boxes on the floor, we quickly drove to the bank to stop payment and change out debit cards. Remember this name - Michael B Leone - he is the ring leader and laughable CEO.

• Na
      25th of Mar, 2009

My husband and I are having the same problems with this place. We have tried calling, emailing and calling ABC financial who handles our monthly automatic withdrawal and we are getting no where on this issue. We've stopped by the "new" gym several times and it's all boarded up with no information other than a phone number on the wall that no one answers. This place is horrible even if they aren't really going out of business like they say, it will only be a matter of time since they are handling this situation so badly; since everyone is going to quit who is a member. Who treats their customers like this?

• St
      26th of Mar, 2009

Unfortunately all this is true. I am very sadden by this situation. I have only been a member of the gym since December but I felt totally comfortable and enjoyed working out there. I was even willing to give the new place a try...went the first day they opened (only to find out they were closing back down the next day). The towsnship has shut them down, and I don't see how they can reopen. The owner claims he has a plan B is he is unable to get through zoning but whatever at this point.
    What has upset me the most is a "rumor" that I heard about our personal information being in a filing cabinet that was left outside with people going through it. I didn't think anything of it because a rumor is that a rumor, but when a friend of mine who works at county dispatched emailed me to let me know he was there when the call came in, I started doing some phone calls. I called Bethlehem Township police and it was CONFIRMED that YES police were called to the Powerhouse on 191 and 22 in regards to a filing cabinet in the parking lot. I don't whose info is in the filing cabinet but it was confirmed that personal info was in there. The police seized it and notified the owner who as of the last time I spoke to the police, has not come to get the filing cabinet. I have had to cancel my bank card (which I did anyway so I cannot be charged the monthly fees), put red flags on my account, and contact the credit reporting agencies to hopefully prevent indentity theft.
    I was totally willing to stick this out because of the supposed plan B but nope not willing too now...there is no way I can trust these people after learning and confirming that they left our personal info in a filing cabinet in a public parking lot (Thanks to whoever it was that called the police and getting involved).
    Oh I also spoke to ABC financial who said that there is nothing they can do because they have been told the Powerhouse is shut down because of zoning and the Powerhouse is working on it all. I was then told by ABC Finanicial that late fees will accrue if I don't pay and that they cannot guarentee that it will not go to collections. I am not willing to possibly have my credit ruined over someone who is definitely bad at business, so I have filed a bad report with the BBB of Eastern PA.
    At this point, even if the Powerhouse is going to reopen...there is NO WAY I would allow this man, the owner, to have any of my info...I am afraid to even give out my debit card info to anyone...to the point that I didn't even have the bank send me a new one. This whole situation has been handled poorly and the owner should be totally ashamed of himself. Oh and before i stop, he does owe people money...I know of an employee (ex employee) who is owed $900.

27th of Mar, 2009

I had the same attitude as the person who commented before me. I thought I'd give it a shot, and even told people who were complaining to just relax and try the new place out. Well I never even got to the new place because it was shut down! Still, I thought I would wait and see. Well frankly, I'm tired of waiting. If Michael Leone would have sent us all an email or letter saying something like "Hey guys listen, I know this all sucks, but here is the honest truth of the situation. I will refund you for the time the gym was closed, I'm just asking you to bear with me. I messed up, filled out some wrong papers, etc, but I'm going to work to fix it. If you feel you need to cancel your membership, I will respect your decision. Here's my personal number" then I would respect him and the situation. Instead, he's nowhere to be found. I heard all the equipment is out of the new place, so where is everything??? I want to be clued in, instead we're all just left in the dark. I hope he knows that he will have no employees, and no members if he ever manages to re-open. Oh, and for goodness sakes, take the "OPEN" sign down off the old building already!!

• Ah
      27th of Mar, 2009

Yeah this definitely sucks.

The last charge on my account was March 2. I'm not sure if that payment was for February or March. If it was for March, it should be at least partially refunded, because the gym was closed for at least half of March.

You guys who say you are out $270 or even $600, he made you pay for the whole contract up front?! I've been getting charged monthly...

To everyone else who's paying monthly: when was the last time he charged you? Is he still taking payments out? I sent him an e-mail to cancel my membership. I better not get charged for April...

• Ro
      27th of Mar, 2009

We have run into the same problems. We also sent a certified letter, return receipt requested stating we wanted to cancel our membership. Letter was sent on 3/20/09 and we have no respose yet.

We also had abc financial change our billing to to a payment book don't know if that will keep further changes to our change account in April our not. We did receive the payment coupons.

abc financial also sent they would fax a copy of our contract (can't find mine) in 48 hours and we have not received that yet either. I'm not sure what the contract said but I don't feel a need to cancel a contract for a gym that is closed.

• Ir
      28th of Mar, 2009

I came across the corporate number for the Powerhouse Gym chain. It's located in Michigan. Here it is if anyone chooses to use it...248-476-2888

• Dr
      28th of Mar, 2009

This gym had to be totally mismanged from the beginning! I was one of the early members who joined when the gym was behind the dollar store before the new gym was even finished. When I joined I was made all these promises, about the free tanning, one free massage a month and "stable" membership fess as well as a family oriented gym.
    The tanning never materialized! The massages lasted 2 months, than they never returned calls to set up appts.! Membership fees fluctuated without notice! (Just found out recently that single memberships were being charged anywhere from $12 a month to $48 a month!) And the gym had become a hangout for teens and "gawkers" of female members!
    The new location is not even worth discussing it is so deplorable!
    This is such a sad situation because the old place had so much potential. The gym was well thought out except for the poor design and care of the locker room facilities and waste of space of the so called juice bar.
    I have a coupon book through ABC and do not intend to pay anymore and feel that my 30 day notice payment was incurred durring March when we had/have no use of the gym.

EXTREMELY DISAPOINTED and IRATE!

• Ho
      28th of Mar, 2009

We're in the same boat as all of you. We joined in October and thouroughly enjoyed going to the gym and participating in the classes. We heard rumors, but gave Mr. Leone the benefit of the doubt. Silly us!!! We've lost money, but will recover from that. I feel particularly badly for the employees that were hornswaggled, the young kids that stayed on without being paid. What promises were they given so that they would help keep the Nazareth Powerehouse Gym looking like a viable business entity??? Hopefully these young people have at least learned a valuable life lesson.

We will still try to get our money back and are willing to look at the possiblities of a class action suit if we are unsuccessful.

• Dr
      28th of Mar, 2009

What is even more ridiculous is that someone "planted" signs along the 22 exits near the new location and other places in the area advertising the Powerhouse Gym..SAD and DESPERATE!
    A class action suit would be a waste of time because, the gym was incorporated and has few assets which are already "leaned" against by much larger creditors!

• Me
      29th of Mar, 2009

I recieved an email from powerhouse yesterday with still more excuses and pipe dream plans to re-open in a week to 14 days. I went to the new location for the one day that it was open and I can say that this new "gym" will be a mess even within 14 days from now. For members paying monthly, I know of several members who were let out of their contract due to the fact that the new facility does not live up to the standards set in the contract (i.e. no showers/locker rooms, location and size/equipment availiable). I have sent an email attempting to cancel with no response, however a new phone number was listed in the new email sent out by Leone. I am going to call tomorrow and I expect to be let out of the contract without penalty just like all the other members who were lucky enough to speak to a live person before the company went AWOL. The new number is 610-844-2095. Good luck.

• Ca
      30th of Mar, 2009

I just spoke with Mr. Leone and might I say that he is a rude and very bad businessman. I called what seems to be his cell phone number (610-844-2095), and he asked me to hold onand proceeded to talk to someone on another phone about a mortgage and not having the money yet... pretty shady. when he got back on the phone he apologized but i really didnt want to hear it. i wanted to know WHY i was charged my monthly $25 fee for a gym i couldnt use for the month. he said i have 3 options: when they reopen i can get a REFUND, CREDIT, or a FREE MASSAGE. Umm... no, I think it is illegal to take money out of someones account when you have no service to provide. i told him obviously i would like a refund and i believe my contract would be void. he said he didnt understand what i meant. i said i paid for the facility on 248 & 191... not 191 and 22. he said that they are opening well within the distance and within the 30 day time frame. he said they will be opening within 10-14 days from today. that would mean they would be closed for about 30 days. then he asked me to hold on again, acting like he had another call, and hung up/was disconnected with me.

basically guys, this guy is a jerk, he had a huge attitude with me and personally i dont think this guy could run a junkyard.

• Ca
      30th of Mar, 2009

suprise suprise... just tried calling that corporate number and nobody answered.

• Je
      31st of Mar, 2009

It is not a "rumor" about the file cabinet being in the parking lot with all personal info out there for everyone to see. I am the one who called the police and waited until it was loaded into the police van. Unfortunately I don't know how long they were sitting for anyone to go through! Also keep watch on your credit card - they billed me 3 times during the month of February.

31st of Mar, 2009

Yes, I called that corporate number 2 weeks ago. No answer. I left a message, and told them I had very important information that should interest them about a fraud situation with one of their branches. I told them to call me back asap and gave them my cell phone number. Of course I've heard nothing. Why? Because this seems to be a trend with the Powerhouse name. I wish I would have known that sooner. The same week the Nazareth branch closed, so did one in NYC. Only their story was published all over the news...so why isn't ours?? I guess it's too easy to own a Powerhouse gym, because since I've found out that many of them have closed suddenly with no warning or refunds. I can't believe Mr. Leone has the nerve to email us all about how everything is great and wonderful and we'll update the crappy website asap. We don't care about the "updates". We just want our money back.

1st of Apr, 2009

Has anyone successfully canceled your contract?

If so, please explain how. I feel like I'm being robbed.

• In
      1st of Apr, 2009

I can't believe this is happening ! I used to go there to work out and buy cigars at the place next door.

• Fr
      3rd of Apr, 2009

Just got off the phone with this guy - he has a HUGE attitude - I think he thinks HE is the customer. I got word from him - with a lot of waiting - being placed on hold - while he had another phone - what a joke - that he is moving into the Sears Plaza within 10 days. I have already spoke with him on s previous date to cancel my contract (3/11/09) and he said $50. I sent him a $50 cancellation fee with nothing happening since to cancel this contract. I did not mention that on the phone with this conversation - he then told me that he would charge me $100 for canceling the contract - what a joke - the story always changes. He even threatened me that he would not cancel my contract because he has that kind of power.

I recommend everyone to file a complaint with the BBB and the Attorney General. You can find the information on-line - you can only do this once the fee has been taken out of your account.

The scary thing is - he said he would be working under some physicians - but would not give me the name of the group. I hope this is not true - because that is spelling disaster for those poor patients/customers.

I recommend everyone to stay far away from this guy and keep all paperwork if you have any - I don't think he works that way - he knows how to work the system! Please don't trust him. It will end very badly - he is not here for your well being - not at all - what a complete jerk.

• Mo
      5th of Apr, 2009

I joined the gym back in October, and haven't had much chance to get in. Apparently I haven't missed much. Except my money!!! I paid like $300 for 2 years!! Now what? This is absolutely ridiculous!! I know a family member of this guy and I intend to contact him. Let his family know what a ### he is... unless they are already aware.