Nazareth Powerhouse Gym / Fintess Instructors

1 859 Nazareth PikeNazareth, PA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 610-759-0208

The new year for Nazareth Powerhouse Gym sucks. Something changed. The gym is so dirty I can't take showers before I go to work. The showers are discusting and there are never towels on the floor to wipe equipment down. The classes have gone down hill. They used to be creative and energetic, now I don't know what is going on. I heard the instructors are not even certificed and it shows. They don't understand how the music count works with the choreograph one needs for step and kick classes. I have taken classes at the YMCA and LA and these classes at Nazareth Powerhouse don't even come close. When you walk in, I think a grey cloud is hovering over the gym. The employees don't even look at you and nobody smiles. When I come to a gym I want to be uplifted not thrown under a bus. Come on Nazereth Powerhouse, you better pick it back up or you will loose your members. If you are not a member, I highly suggest you get a guest pass and try the classes, check out the cleanliness of the gym and the attitudes of their employees. Good Luck.

Comments

• Mi
      9th of Jan, 2009

I don't know about you but I am always suspicious of people when they use anonymous to identify themselves. That aside, there has not been more enthusiasm at The Nazareth Powerhouse Gym since we first opened. Our members are better served by staff that cares about the quality of care that they get. Classes are over flowing with members. Our membership is soaring. Our facility is cleaner than any other in the area. Today our members have more training available than at any time previous. Take the advice of the complainer. Come on in and try our Facility... I'll bet you'll stay! And my name is on this board. Michael B Leone, Owner

• Ju
      28th of Jan, 2009

I don't usually comment on things like this ..but this one really burns me up. I agree with ANONYMOUS here!
    I WAS a member at this gym & it was a horrible experience. The gym was dirty, the classes were taught by people that have no idea how to teach a class - except PAT ..who is now down to teaching there one or 2 nights a week, the front desk people were rude and if you ever had a question GOOD LUCK getting a truthful answer- the list goes on. I hated it there ...so needless to say - once my contract expired i signed up at LA FITNESS & i absolutely love it! It is an awesome gym - tons of equipment - tons of great classes with great instructors, a pool, cardio theater - you name it they have ..AND it's super clean! Anyway -
    when i signed up for Powerhouse in SEPT of 2007 (yes 2007) they were 'selling' the gym as this huge gym with tanning rooms & aerobics rooms & rooms for classes ... well those rooms STILL do not exist & i think they are still trying to sell that to the new people that come to visit - these people have some nerve! it's such a joke!
    oh and ANONYMOUS - the reason that the classes are going down hill is because the instructors they had weren't being paid so they had to move on... hmmm?!?!? sound like a good place to give your money too????

• Te
      23rd of Mar, 2009

I agree with the complaints. The gym has closed without notice and basically took $600.00 from my husband and I.
    We asked for a refund because of the gym being closed for two weeks and counting. The owner refuses to refund us and we are basically left with no gym and a $600.00 bill.
    A very sad situation. All we want is what we paid minus the few months that we were members.

• Ri
      24th of Mar, 2009

They are still charging ppls checking accounts too! The phones have been disconnected and I can not get in touch with them and my bank wants me to pay to cancel my card so they can stop charging it! The guy needs to be sued! First he sells this idea of a great gym in Nazareth and then just ups and leaves! He is a rip off artist and needs to be stopped! He stole ppls money and feels he does not have to give it back ! What a ###!

• Cl
      25th of Mar, 2009

I agree with all the comments. He is continuing to bill members and I have heard owes a lot of money to former employees. He has filed chapter 13 and thinks he will be able to continue his business. I agree with RIP Gym Member. He should be stopped and should never be able to open a business again or continue to rip off people. Has is sure getting peoples money, but not paying anything else. What else could he be but a rip off artist. The only way into heaven is to own up to things and make it right. God is watching his every move and the way he is going he will not enter into the gates of heaven treating people, employees and members the way he is. Thing will catch up to him. If your bank is tring to charge you to stop his transaction, maybe if you report your card lost and change the card on your active accounts you can avoid the charge. Just a thought. About the instructors. There were a lot of great insturctors until around December when a lot of them walked out because they were not getting paid. Then you had, Pat, Cindy, Kim, Kim C. and Kerie left and I even heard they were not getting paid and he owes a lot of them money. Were are the labor laws to protect these employees. I work for a large company and feel I do not have to worry about this type of issue, but others are not so lucky. When you leave a business you should be paid for services rendered. So between not paying employees, businesses, monthly members and paid in full members, he needs to be accountable for these actions. What do you all think?

• Fo
      25th of Mar, 2009

I agree with all the complaints listed. I understand problems occur in businesses, and what has happend is unfortunate. But the lack of follow-up and comunication from the Powerhouse Gym ownership has only made a bad situation worse.

For those of you who are sick and tired of disconnected phones, unreturned calls, boarded up doors, unanswered e-mails, and no gym to work out at, may I suggest a possible solution...

whitepages.com is a great way to locate the home phone number and address of Michael Leone, the owner of the mighty Powerhouse Gym. I suggest contacting him via phone or mail and ask him directly where your money is, or why he is totally ignoring his members questions and concerns.

• Ir
      26th of Mar, 2009

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, however there is no possible way that Powerhouse Gym will be opening up at the “NEW” Location, because that area is not zoned for an Exercise Club. Call the township and ask about the zoning for that area, it is public knowledge. If they would’ve have moved a little further up they would have been fine, but then they wouldn’t have an excuse to shut down and take our money. I signed up 4 days before they were moving and the way they talked they had this planned out for a while. If that were the case why would they need to move in the middle of the night? Then they blame it on the township….. Michael B. Leone is obviously running a scam and sucked a lot people in. I have canceled my debit card already and will be contacting the BBB.

• St
      26th of Mar, 2009

Unfortunately all this is true. I am very sadden by this situation. I have only been a member of the gym since December but I felt totally comfortable and enjoyed working out there. I was even willing to give the new place a try...went the first day they opened (only to find out they were closing back down the next day). The towsnship has shut them down, and I don't see how they can reopen. The owner claims he has a plan B is he is unable to get through zoning but whatever at this point.
    What has upset me the most is a "rumor" that I heard about our personal information being in a filing cabinet that was left outside with people going through it. I didn't think anything of it because a rumor is that a rumor, but when a friend of mine who works at county dispatched emailed me to let me know he was there when the call came in, I started doing some phone calls. I called Bethlehem Township police and it was CONFIRMED that YES police were called to the Powerhouse on 191 and 22 in regards to a filing cabinet in the parking lot. I don't whose info is in the filing cabinet but it was confirmed that personal info was in there. The police seized it and notified the owner who as of the last time I spoke to the police, has not come to get the filing cabinet. I have had to cancel my bank card (which I did anyway so I cannot be charged the monthly fees), put red flags on my account, and contact the credit reporting agencies to hopefully prevent indentity theft.
    I was totally willing to stick this out because of the supposed plan B but nope not willing too now...there is no way I can trust these people after learning and confirming that they left our personal info in a filing cabinet in a public parking lot (Thanks to whoever it was that called the police and getting involved).
    Oh I also spoke to ABC financial who said that there is nothing they can do because they have been told the Powerhouse is shut down because of zoning and the Powerhouse is working on it all. I was then told by ABC Finanicial that late fees will accrue if I don't pay and that they cannot guarentee that it will not go to collections. I am not willing to possibly have my credit ruined over someone who is definitely bad at business, so I have filed a bad report with the BBB of Eastern PA.
    At this point, even if the Powerhouse is going to reopen...there is NO WAY I would allow this man, the owner, to have any of my info...I am afraid to even give out my debit card info to anyone...to the point that I didn't even have the bank send me a new one. This whole situation has been handled poorly and the owner should be totally ashamed of himself. Oh and before i stop, he does owe people money...I know of an employee (ex employee) who is owed $900.

• Ah
      27th of Mar, 2009

Yeah this definitely sucks.

The last charge on my account was March 2. I'm not sure if that payment was for February or March. If it was for March, it should be at least partially refunded, because the gym was closed for at least half of March.

You guys who say you are out $270 or even $600, he made you pay for the whole contract up front?! I've been getting charged monthly...

To everyone else who's paying monthly: when was the last time he charged you? Is he still taking payments out? I sent him an e-mail to cancel my membership. I better not get charged for April...

• Cu
      27th of Mar, 2009

I am a "member", also, of this "gym". I say this lightly because I have paid upfront for two years for services that will never be rendered. (I only became a member in November.) I was a member of a reputable gym for 8 years, but joined Nazareth Powerhouse because of it's convenient location to my home. Boy, do I feel taken! I, too, was willing to give this thief the benefit of the doubt and drove to the new location on March 18 at 6 a.m. only to find the place dark and doors boarded up. I have filed a complaint with the BBB of Eastern PA. I am owed 480.00.

• Ir
      28th of Mar, 2009

I came across the corporate number for the Powerhouse Gym chain. They are located in Michigan. Here it is for anyone who chooses to use it...248-476-2888

• Dr
      28th of Mar, 2009

This is a VERY deplorable situation for ALL! For we the members, we are totally stuck! Who do we send our 30 day notice to, since Leone is not responding to any calls, emails or mail! I will call ABC and also write them and inform them that if they send me any past due notices or try to collect money in any form or "flag" my credit, I will file complaints against them and sue them.

28th of Mar, 2009

I stopped by the "new" location this afternoon and spoke with the owner of the building who informed me that the gym owner never paid his rent and trashed the place (which I saw evidence of) after moving out in the middle of the night. So while I understand many of us are out a few hundred dollars, at least we're not out $20, 000 like the building owner. She also told me that one of the members is looking to filing a class action lawsuit against the owner. If he has no assets, we won't get a dime but, if you are interested in calling him and being a part of the lawsuit, please email me and I'll give you his name and number. dssilfies@hotmail.com.

• Gi
      30th of Mar, 2009

i am not member, i know because i went to living well years ago . when it was at 25th street shopping center . all these young girls would come in all made up . this was gym not a pickup joint . all they do is take urr money. its a shame .

1st of Apr, 2009

Has anyone successfully canceled your contract?

If so, please explain how. I feel like I'm being robbed.

• Su
      1st of Apr, 2009

We got this in an e-mail. Leone answered the other day when we called try this. Cancel your membership. This gym will never re-open!!! They Suck!!!

We have set up a temporary phone number which will be live M-F 11am - 5pm for updates. (610) 844.2095.

Well, here's what I did:
    I went to my bank (I was getting my monthly fees debited out of my checking acct) and I told them the situation. They already knew, however. I filled out a stop payment request (at the lovely charge of $30, thanks, Michael!). They said the stop payment was good for 6 months. I'm hoping by that time, this whole mess will be sorted out. If not, I'm closing my checking acct and opening up a new one - one that won't get debited!

• Ex
      14th of Apr, 2009

I am an ex employee at powerhouse and one thing i can tell you is every rumor is true... the filling cabinet... not getting paid... etc... its all true!!! myslef as well as all the other employees are owed very large amounts of money for example we got paid during the last month of feb for the begining of jan. and that was it.. we are always promised money day after day.. and the one thing that really bothers me is we were paid under the table in cash and all of the sudden he said we were being taxed... turns out govt never got any of our papers and he was taking our taxes out and keeping them somehow... idont fullly understand the situation but its a mess stay away

• Dg
      17th of Apr, 2009

I found Michael today at the old Curves building on 248/Airport Rd. There are some bootleg yellow signs up that say "gym" right outside. The place is the size of my bathroom. It's a joke. I told him I wanted to cancel my membership and he said OK - and called some client services number right in front of me and said, ok you are cancelled. I asked for a confirmation or cancellation number and he couldn't provide either. I am sure it's a matter of time before I see a charge on my bank statement. He had a guy named Randy in there who asked me if I wanted to train there. I tried to be polite and said no thank you, I already found a new gym - and he said, "yea everyone wants a million dollar gym for $20 a month"... ok buddy, most of us would have settled for A GYM - PERIOD... and I was one of the idiots who was paying $40 a month for that turd of a place next to Giant anyway...
    it's a joke, we get it things happen and businesses fail - but let it go and do the right thing for the people who tried to support the place

• Ti
      17th of May, 2009

This "gym" if that's what you want to call it, is a BIG JOKE! It was ok when we started there in August 2008, then is QUICKLY declined. Mike Leone is the biggest JOKE of all and so is the family that is involved in this so called establishment. He is a crook, has a crooked past and is just ignorant. I saw the "NEW" powerhouse express gym today in Bath. OMG- that place is pathetic. It's connected to a gas station convenience store and hair salon. There are MAYBE a total of 6 machines, maybe. There are 2 tv's on the floor and the machines face blank walls. It is the size of a bedroom it is so small. And the guy Randy that is working there now, who claims to be a partner is way creepy. He told me even though they were closed for the evening I could come there with him and workout, seriously creepy. I was promised a 2 hour massage in exchange for the 2 months of payments we made while they were closed and relocating. That never happened. They are still charging us for each month. This man is disgusting and pathetic, I feel sorry for the people that work(ed) for him...they are just trying to earn a living. I am thankful that there is a class action lawsuit against this ###.