Navy Federal Credit Union [NFCU] / horrible experience/ discrimination at jax beach location

Atlantic Beach, FL, United States

To whom it should concern,

This is a complaint on a woman named : kay!

I am writing today as a very upset member of nfcc (Navy fedral credit union). I recently visited one of your locations located in jacksonville beach 961 atlantic blvd, atlantic beach fl, 32233. I visited the location at 9am on saturday june 17, 2017. When I arrived I went straight to a teller who was very friendly and proceeded or at least attempted to deposit a check that was mailed to me from discover bank for a personal loan that I had applied for in the amount of $21, 000.00. Upon handing the check to the teller she then passed it along to several other tellers asking their opinion on whether or not it was fake and one of the tellers must have asked me why I had this check and why do I want to deposit a fake check. This was said out loud and I was embarrassed. After about 10 minutes of this going on they then called for a manger. This is when the insults and extreme unprofessionalism that has no place in an industry that is so face to face with customers/ members began. This manager’s (Not sure if she was actually a manger or a shift leader) attitude and constant insults and insinuations is the reason for my letter and the reason why I will never step foot into another navy federal credit union again and will promptly be closing my account and taking my business to another institution that tends to treat service members or anyone better than how I was treated june 17th.

She did not introduce herself whatsoever but instead grabbed the check and said this is fake. She said so several times and said so very loud on the teller line. I told her that I could show her on my phone that it is legitimate and so she grabbed my phone but still was not satisfied. She then proceeded to tell me that I was a victim of a scam and told me that I needed to not deposit the check because it looked fake and said “ I will tell you right now that this will be returned and if I were you I wouldn’t deposit it” out oud again. She also said that I would be charged a fee once it is returned. I told her to cal and verify or to go online to verify she then rolled her eyes and grabbed her pitch fork and said “go sit in the lobby and I will be right there once I call”. Very rude woman.

After 10 minutes waiting in the lobby as the entire bank just looked at me as if I was trying to commit fraud, the woman came out and boy did she insult me and embarrass me also. She came out and said that they are unable to verify the check because the department was closed which I understood so I told her to please deposit it and do what you must and I will wait for however long for it to clear and she then pretty much refused and below are the questions that followed outloud in the lobby waiting area while others were sitting and waiting (Please review cameras at about 915am (06/17/2017) should this be denied and watch the bent necks toward my direction.

She asked the following:
• why would you get this loan? It is way too high for an unsecured loan for you (I never told her it was unsecured). I am not sure what she meant by saying it was way to high for an unsecure loan but I have had higher and took insult as she looked me up and down saying such.
• what is your credit score? I am certainly sure thi sis none of her darn business. Why would she ask me my credit score? She then told me that the highest credit score possible was an 860 and I responded with “ first of all the highest score you can get is an 850 not 860 and my credit score is a 760”. She then rolled her eyes. This question was especially insulting and I can only think at this point I am being highly discriminated by this one because of a number of factors going through her head. None of the questions about my credit were relevant.
• she then said if we deposit this we will come after you for the $21, 000. (I would think I f I deposited it and it cleared into my account that I could use it as I pleased… am I wrong?
• she then said “if I were you I wouldn’t spend a dime”. She is obviously not me because I would never make such offensive veiled comments to a guest in my business.
Please remember this is happening in a lobby in front of others
• she then instructed me to call all of my credit bureaus and to put a block on my social security number because I was surely being scammed. She said that I should do it as soon as I leave. I was not going to the bank to get incorrect credit advice from someone who was providing unsolicited incorrect information. Could you imagine had I listened to her went through such a large project??? She is certainly not qualified to give such advice.
• she then said she has never heard of this bank and certainly has never heard of discover personal loans. She insisted that I was being scammed over and over and over again out loud then I replied with “ I consider myself to be highly educated and can determine when something is a scam “ and she simply shrugged her shoulders.
• she finally gave in and accepted my request then once again suggested I not deposit. She made it very clear that she was going to put the maximum hold on the check 10 day and said “ I hope you don’t need this soon”. I really think this woman should be removed from customer service.

When it comes down to it, I think this woman was incredibly offensive, insulting and discriminative towards me. I hold multiple bank accounts in different institutions across the country and chose nfcc as one of them. This is no more. It was not only obvious that her line of questioning to include my credit score was in direct correlation to my feeling that she was discriminating against me due to my age and possible low age of credit history. I am a hispanic male who happens to hold multiple degrees who just also happens to be ex military and also young. I should not have to deal with a woman who is obviously ill educated on how to treat people. Not only did she provide incorrect information but she also was backing them up with veiled threats of coming after me for the 21k. When I go to a bank I expect to be treated with the respect I give others.

I will be sending a hand written version of this letter to the heads of nfcc and will be emailing it to multiple outlets within nfcc to include online messenger and any other place that I am able to provide a review of my experience. I am almost certain that multiple policies and procedures and rights or even perhaps laws within the banking industry were violated and hope that nfcc chooses to fix the sore in this location. I shared my experience with the lending institution and they were as appealed as I was. If anyone was curious please refer to my account where my deposit was made to my account and just as soon as it hits zero I will be closing this account for good.

Wm