Navy Federal Credit Union / taking money and not authorized

Jacksonville, FL, United States Review updated:

Taking money and not authorized to take it. Not only taking money from one acconut to use in another account but taking money from a totally different bank and putting that money into a nfcu account. What they do when they have your banking account information from any bank is unbelievable.

First I had a payment that was behind which I was not aware because I was the co-signer of the loan for my husband. Therefore as soon as I found out the account was past due I went up to the bank and paid all the late fees to made the account current. Then I talked with one of the bank officers in her office. I ask her could I set up an automatic payment then she advised me that would be good. Therefore, I set up the payment for nfcu in her office to began receiving 300.00 every two weeks which the loan payment was only 269.00 a month to pay on the loan account that I only co-signed for. However, a couple of months later I notice money was being taking for the loan account it was the extra money that I was paying toward the loan. I went up to nfcu and talked with the same lady again and I said there is some money being taking off the loan payments that I am trying to pay off. She looked into her computer system and said they had been taking the extra money and paying on another account that my husband is behind on. So I asked what account is this and how much does he owe. She said, it is against their policy and she could not disclose any of that type of information. I am confused I tried to pay the loan account off, your taking the extra money that I am paying to one account and put it towards another account. You have no authorization to put this in my husband’s account that I knew nothing about. Anyway, I stop the payment and start going up to bank to pay the bill once a month $269.00 instead of every two weeks. I felt like I was caught in the middle and fighting to payoff an account.

I got caught up with trying to pay that bill and other surprise bills that were coming my way that I knew nothing about these bills. Therefore I was late on my own credit card bill (Out of 10 years I have only be late 2 (Twice) on my credit card) so they called me on my job and I gave her my account number to my other bank to pay the bill which was a 120.00 then I told her I will set up a payment for 100.00 to go to my credit card account she said she would send me a form to sign so that I can setup everything. Anyway, she took 120.00 which I authorized. She asked me if I wanted to pay the 100.00 now along with the $120.00 because the next due date was coming up soon. I told her no just only pay $120.00 and without authorization she took it upon her own to take the $100.00 anyway from my account from another bank which I did not authorize. Now 3 days ago another $100.00 has been taken and paid to nfcu towards what I do not know.

Someone needs to really check this bank out on how they treat their customers and how they handle their accounts.

Comments

• Xy
      Feb 09, 2009

Veronica,
    If you had bothered to either a) do the research on the laws and bylaws of the Fair Debt Collection act or b) bothered to have read the promissory note provided with your loan you would have noticed that everything Navy Federal is doing is responsible business practices that any and ALL successful financial institutions abide by. The first issue is that by being a joint owner/being married to someone who is late on a loan you are LEGALLY responsible for that same debt regardless of whether or not your name is on the loan. Also, on the promissory note you are advised that if you are late or past due on any outstanding debts then all attempts will be made to make that loan current. By signing the promissory note, which you have to do in order to receive the loan, you are AGREEING TO THOSE TERMS AND CONDITIONS, simply put if you do not like those terms then feel free to find a better loan with a better rate elsewhere. The reason your experience with Navy Federal has been unpleasant if because of your own irresponsible financial practices. When taking out a loan or any type of credit you should always read any and all terms associated with that agreement. The only person you should be upset with is yourself for not being responsible to read what you are agreeing to before you do it.

• Fn
      Apr 07, 2009

Dear xyitx,
    I would guess by your sarcasm and reply to Veronica that you work for Navy Federal. Let me chime in if I might. I have been with Navy Federal for almost 20 years now and am in the process of closing my account as I type. The reason for this is that Navy Federal as pointed out by Veronica will take money from your account where you are the primary to satisfy a loan to a second account, that you have not cosigned simply because the person is on that account as is the case with Veronica and myself. Now from the pure business aspect of it, can you please tell me what makes more sense, having a long time customer like myself and losing my business simply because you did not contact me prior to the withdrawal to let me know that there is an outstanding balance that needs to be satisfied. Or making that contact to keep the customer satisfied. This is not a company I choose to do business with anymore. When they do not treat me with the common decency that I have earned by being a loyal customer all these years then I WILL take my business elsewhere. Financial irresponsibility implies a pattern of bad monetary choices. Do not confuse that with the occasional oversight or miscalculation. Stop being so insulting and narrow minded and look at the substance of what she said. It is not a pattern and was acknowledged by her when she received notice (at least she got notice). It is not as though she chose to ignore it and pretend the problem existed. I hope she takes her business elsewhere as I will. Have fun with your banking institution, I can't wait to see your post when they decide to take money from your account without notification.

Former Navy Federal Credit Union patron. USAA here I come!

• Qu
      Jun 10, 2009

USAA does the same thing...don't have people on your account that you don't want to have your finances attached to.

• Pe
      Jun 10, 2009

It's a matter of being a joint owner or a co-signer. Joint owner means you are sharing a checking or savings acct. you are both equally responsible for the funds that come in or out of it. Whether you are primary or secondary it doesn't matter. From dictionary.com "shared by or common to two or more: a joint obligation. " Co-signer means you are agreeing to assume the payments if the primary applicant does not. So if the person is the sole person on a loan and has a checkign account with money in it even if they are just the secondary in that account...since the loan isn't paid then the money can get pulled from the joint account.

• Pa
      Sep 05, 2018

IT'S FREE...
    First of all you have to note that not all those out there who pose to be hackers are real, i went on google in search of how to take off eviction from my public records and most people on different forums kept talking about a professional but they are all fake until a friend introduce me to the best and reliable hacker. His response to my mails made me calm and optimistic about the whole thing. I made a down payment for the job and he cleaned my public records in 2 days. it was a relief. You can Fix your credit report by contacting his email {Speedlinkhacker At Gmail Dot Com} and by the time he's done with your job, do not hesitate to spread words about his services to people in need of a professional hacker to avoid been scammed.
    *service available 24hrs