Nationwide Van Lines / Complete fraud

Complete fraud. Be very careful when dealing with this company.

They gave us an estimate on the phone, according to an exact list of items we intended to move. They refused to do a walk through and confirm the quote but said they had a set system to do their pricing. Of course, when the driver finally arrived, the price to move the very same items was 50% more according to some vague system based on the number of panels in his truck.

I also want to mention, we were on a very tight schedule, and the mover arrived 8 hours late on the first day. He then said he didn't have time to do the job and would come back. The office confirmed he'd come back 8am the next day. On the second day, a new guy was sent, also arriving late, this time by 6 hours. He got to work but couldn't finish the job, so it turned into a 2 day process. They finally completed everything but they were 72 hours late in total. This was a massive inconvenience for us.

We also prepaid for a platinum packaging service which was to include all items including furniture. This was important as we had some special pieces to protect. The team leader told us that he would use pads on the furniture until the shipment got to our destination. At that point he'd remove the covers and packaging it with bubble wrap and cardboard. However, upon arrival he refused to wrap the furniture as promised, lied to the recipient and said we waived our request to wrap the items, and when the recipient insisted on some protection for the items, he demanded $25 per padded cover.

The office was testy and recalcitrant when we contacted them. Very unhelpful. We had to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

And as for the BBB, I want to point out that if you file a complaint with them against this (or any) company, you cannot post a review about the company on BBB's Trust Link review site. That means that on this company's page, there are 25 reviews, only the positive experience. Unfortunately, this completely fails to include reviews from people who have had bad experiences. Very skewed and unfair.

Avoid Nationwide if possible. Don't just take my word for it. Before using this company do a web search for "Nationwide Van Lines complaints" to get an idea of this company's true reputation. There are pages and pages of complaints against them on a number of sites. Many seem to be unresolved. Use at your own risk.

Ro

Comments

24th of Mar, 2010
    Nationwide Van Lines - Rip off
    Nationwide Van Lines

I hope anyone reading this will think twice about using Nationwide Van Lines!

We contracted Nationwide Van Lines to do our move from south Florida to Vermont. We had pre-packed all the stuff so we basically just needed them to come by and take the boxes away, to our new home.

We had scheduled them for a 11am pickup but they said it would be 9am to 12pm. I took off from work to ensure I'd meet them. Nine comes and goes. 10am, 11am, 12pm, also come and go. I call Rahael at their office and was assured they were on the way and were running 2 hours late. Unfortunately this does me no good because I had to return to work for the afternoon. Now I had to sacrifice a whole extra half day to wait for them.

When they showed up finally it was at 330pm. They guys they sent looked totally unprofessional. On their website they display fancy fresh painted trucks and guys in uniforms with the company logo. I got 3 guys in dirty clothes in an unmarked white cube truck. I couldnt have been more disappointed.

They packed up our stuff and disappeared. We called the office to make sure the move was going as planned and we got the OK. Our goods were supposed to arrive 1 week later in Vermont.

We get to Vermont, wait on the precise day, but there was no delivery. The scheduled date comes and goes. I call the office and was met with a very testy response from the lady there (not sure of her name). She told us delivery was attempted but we had put the wrong address on the moving documents and thats why it was delayed.

I checked my copy of the contract and it was totally perfect. I faxed it over and she said she'd investiagte. Later she emails us saying, yes the address was correct, but they had an internal company error and that the delivery would come at any time now.

The next day came and nearly went and Nationwide NEVER called back. I called (spoke to Ron) who told me they attempted delivery but nobody was home. Blatant lies! I was there all day for days in a row. I asked where they attempted to delivery to. He could not give me an answer. When I asked where my goods were now, also no answer.

I demanded to have a firm answer about my goods in 24 hours or else I'd contact the authorities and file a chargeback with the bank. I got no reply so I filed a chargeback on the amount.

Less than two full days alter I get a very angry call from Nationwide (not regarding my moved goods, but my chargeback). They implied I'm a thief, asking why did I dispute the charge, etc...when all along my stuff is missing without any reason or explanation from the company!

The lady tells me in a matter of fact way that the goods are being "held" in Florida in their storage, pending payment. I told her I just disputed the transaction less than 48 hrs ago, because the stuff never arrived. How did it already get from Vermont to Florida in less than 2 days? She said the procedure is to immediately return the items to the shipping origin if payment is charged back.

I truly believe this is a bold faced lie. Two phantom delivery attempts and address confusion on THEIR part, and now, magically, the goods are back in Florida? No way. Either they messed up the move and never sent it, or planned all along to get more money out of me for a "second" move.

They insist I need to resend payment for delivery to happen plus an additional fee since it is, what they call, a second delivery. I told them I'll see them face to face in Florida. I plan to fly back to Florida to get my goods out. I will go with my lawyer and will contact the local sheriff if they do not release my stuff.

I have never had a worse experience with a moving company or any business for that matter, but the Israeli team here (Ron, Rachael, etc) cannot be trusted in my opinion.

• Fr
      25th of Mar, 2010

• Fr
      26th of Mar, 2010

I heard from a friend in West Palm that this company was no good and uses off the books cash labor. Companies like this need to be reported. I wish I would have done more research on them before I used them rather than after I had a problem with them. They overcharged me on my quote by 30%.