Nationwide Reader Service / Magazines

1 Moline, IL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 309-292-7275

My name is Cherita McNeal and I recieved a call from Nationwide Reader Service saying that I was entered into a sweepstakes through Wellsfargo bank. I was told by Angel, the secretary, and Terry Davis, the supervisor of Nationwide Reader Service, that I could recieve five years worth of magazines from any five companys for a reduced price of $68.28. He said that my tracking number is 8136905 and my order number is c-208. When i tried to go to the site I realized that i was scammed. I have already paid the payment of 68.28 in early January, and i am afraid that they will continue to take money out of my account.

Comments

• Su
      4th of Feb, 2010

Cherita--You are correct. You've been scammed. For days I've been searching and calling with nothing but a run-around. There are millions of stories on the net but no resolutions/solutions. You'll probably billed for years which will become very expensive. Call you bank (card company) and report the scam asap. My bank has put a "red tag" on their name sake and will not pay them. They have several names also which, you need to watch out for that and watch your account closely! Your bank should help you stop these criminals. If you have to, have your bank cancel that account and re-issue you a new account with a new number. This is just the beginning. Go to you computer and "Google" National Readers. This has been going on for years. I don't understand why the government has not intervened!! This is so upsetting.

My next move is to contact the Federal Trade Commission, (FTC...), the Better Business Bureau and also spread the word throughout the network. Go to [redacted].com and post there.

Hopefully you will be successful and share the path you took.

Suzette

• Su
      8th of Feb, 2010

Complaints on line do pay off. I was referred to other web sites for reference and to file complaints. Statics are good. There is hope. All I want is to cancel the subscriptions, remove my monthly payments, Not let this go on my credit report and finally, put them out of business. Here's a start: (You gotta start somewhere. I started here and I praise the response I got!)

There is light at the end of the tunnel!

16th of Feb, 2010

I was also called by nationwide reader service but I actually listened to what they said. They did say it was a 60 month service and that for 5 magazines it would be 68.28 a month not for the year. It was also only for 19 months and then the last 41 months were paid off by the first 19 payments. Folks, they tape the responses to your payment and such at the end of the call. Yest it is overpriced but be aware of what you are buying. I didn't think they were scamming me I just got sucked into an impulse buy by a good telemarketer. I did receive my magazines and have had no problems. If you agree to pay the price you shouldn't complain about being sucked in. Be aware of what you are agreeing to when you give out your credit card information over the phone to buy something from a telemarketer.

• Tr
      24th of Feb, 2010

nationwide readers service is NOT a scam. All you blogers are just ###ed and let someone talk you into buying $1300 worth of magazines. next time a telemarketer calls your house and you give them your credit card number listen to what they have to say!

• Jp
      9th of Jun, 2010
    Nationwide Reader Service - Scamming Money

Okay, so about 5 or 6 months ago I had gotten a phone call in the early morning about how I had been entered in a contest with wells fargo&was up to win a car&a large sum of cash.Well, somehow the guy on the other end of the phone convinced me to sign up to recieve 4 magazines, for what he said at the beginning to be $20 a months, which I had no problem paying. Then, he led me on this wild ramble & kept saying $68.75.When he asked what price he just said, I repeated $68.75 unaware that I was agreeing to pay that!Well, after they withdrawled that & I got charged an overdraft fee, I was furious that I was having to pay the bank almost $100 back!The first time I had called, I was hung up on.The second time, I was harassed by someone who(and I'm speaking honestly)knew very little english&was yelling at me.
    I called everyday for about the next month trying to get this company to return the money.At first, they told me I was unable to do so, they simply said they would lower the price to help me out.And when I stated I wanted to cancel the subscriptions, they told me I couldn't do that either because I had agreed to a 2 yr. contract!I was however, able to contact 2 of the magazine companies directly and cancel.When I called the next day to Nationwide Reader and informed them that I had done so, they informed me that I couldn't do that and the only way that I would be able to cancel the subscription was with them. When I told the supervisor that is what I had wanted to do, he simply told me in a condisending voice I couldn't because I agreed to the contract and I had to honor it because it would make their company look bad because I failed to comply(because running a scam like that doesn't make the company look worse!).
    This is the part I hope will help someone else in this situation!
    I called again once a day about 3 more days demanding(not asking) for the money to be put back into my account&for the subscription to be cancelled.I finally was able to speak to a supervisor that was understanding about everything&told me she would put it in to return the money&they wouldn't touch my account until june 1st. When I asked her how long it would take to return the money, she informed me it should be immediately & I could return to the bank within an hour to make sure everything was settled. When I went to the bank an hour later, they had told me that no money transfer was happening!I calle furious but was told the transfer was pending and should happen within 3 days.The woman on the other end of the phone also told me how odd it was that money was being returned because they don't ever do that kind of thing, she even went back to the supervisor to make sure it was legit!
    My word of advice, don't fall for it!And if it does happen to you, call back everyday until they say they will return the money!Also, cancelling your card would be ideal!I learned from a friend of mine that had the same thing happen to her that they cannot come after you to pay the the money for the 2 yrs if you state in the phone call(which is being recorded)that you want to cancel!Don't be afraid to take the steps to protect your money&yourself!
    And to those that work for Nationwide Reader, you all simply disgust me at how easily it is for you to pull this type of scam !

• Lu
      22nd of Mar, 2011

Nationwide Reader Service 888 446 4405

• Th
      7th of Apr, 2011

I myself just recently worked with NRS which indeed is IMA out of Virginia beach... now when I first moved I took this job not knowing it was a scam until later. My first day they train you for 2 hours then throw you upstairs to the call center.. you get on a computer read a script. Funny thing about it is every response a customer gives us to reject we have a line for. The place its self is trashy. First day of training our trainer was cursing and playing around with us. That was another red flag. It took one time of me calling a customer and him telling me that he had been scamed by this company did I find myself wanting to research this crap, sure enough I come across this! I truly apologize to ANYONE I have sold this bs too! I quit the job because this goes against everything I beleive in. On top of that when we have team meetings the last thing they say is let's hussle these people into buying magazines. The way I feel is if anybody who is reading this and fell victim to it let me know all the info you want to know about this company I will most definitive give it to you ... I believe in working hard for your money and you shouldn't have to be a victim to these ### ### people who drive these nice cars to work because they scamed you out of your hard earned money!

• Jb
      14th of Apr, 2011

We I know I pay these Virginia Beach, VA National Reader Service - Money Orders and I know I called alot but they keep saying "you can't cancel" just the other day I received a phone call asking to pay my $29.41 payment which I did but they wanted my cc information. I hate these people taking people for granited and ripping customers off I know Im not pay them anymore because its worthless and I dont even read these magazines in which I told them that but wont let me cancel. screw them ###s.

• Ib
      15th of Apr, 2011

You guys are so childish. Maybe you should learn to say no to someone, and NOT spend money you don't have. Here are a few questions you should ask yourself. Hell, I even answered them because I already know the answers:
    1. Did they ask you if you wanted to pay for the magazines? Yes
    1 (1/2). More than one time? ..Yes.
    2. Did you do the math in your head to figure out the total price before signing up? No
    3. Did you know it's a total of $1200 for the full service? WHAT?! ($5 x 4 weeks= $20 x 60 months=$1200)
    4. Did you WILLINGLY give them your card number AFTER they said it would be $68.75/month? Yes...
    5. Are you going to be receiving the service after paying? Yes... but... but...
    6. Are you a gullible, spending-impulsive individual, who doesn't pay attention when being talked to and still responds with "Yes.." but too dumb to just hang up? Umm, well... At first I didn't think so, but after reading this, I guess I am!

Seriously grow the ### up, you signed up for this, grow a set of balls, and pay what you owe.
    Business is business. These dumb-### could could talked into buying their own poo if you sprinkle it with glitter.
    They'd lose their money one way or another anyway.

• Je
      14th of May, 2011

Hello my names jess i just got a call from them also. I know should have looked online to see what is was all about but he knew my address. I am really really starting to think this is a scam I have a few questions if someone could ansewr them for me please?? Did the payment come right out of your account when they did the tranaction?? mine got denied so it couldnt go though but (i guess luckiy) for me its just my unemployment card .. I hope! and also did anyone hear at the very end something about some gift cards and a bunch of coupns and that .. for a free trial ( but i think he said a payment of 40 some dollars) and if you didnt cancel you would have to pay 29.99 a month i think he said the free trail was like for 15 days he was talkin very fast.. i had him repeat a lot of things. I guess im Just kinda wondering what the people said to them ?? they also said something about a diamond watch ?? idk