National Reader Service / SCAM

1 PA, United States Review updated:

I received an anonymous phone call telling me about this wonderful deal - I would get 5 magazines a month for 1 year, and it would only cost me $60.00. I realized that I didn't have enough money in my credit card account to complete the transaction at the time so I tried to call back to cancel my account. They're business was a scam! -they had no website or phone number I could reach them at. So when they called a month later telling me I owed them money I said I wanted to cancel my account with them and not receive any more magazines -they said I now owed the business $958.00 because it was not a single payment of $60.00 a month they charged me for. THEY CHARGED ME FOR 5 YEARS!!! Then they tried charging me a $270.00 cancellation fee. I refused to pay everything and started getting mouthy over the phone...The customer service representative said she would lower my payments if I was in financial trouble...I told her that I couldn't pay anything ever and wasn't going to. When the representative got mouthy over the phone back to me...I told her that I was going to call my lawyer and then call her back the next day. (I don't have a lawyer and never had the intentions of calling one) But after i told her that she was quick to tell me that she would take the loss and settle my account for free, and to have a nice day...I told her to have a merry christmas.

Comments

• Se
      28th of Oct, 2008
    National Reader Service - was paying 19.99 a month and said i was al

was paying 19.99 a month and said that would be it got a call saying my discount was over had to pay 49.90 for 30 months and get another 30 months free for 5 magazines

• Do
      4th of Feb, 2009

I WAS CALLED AT MY OFFICE REGARDING MAGAZINES THAT I HAD BEEN RECIEVING. WELL, I EXPLAINED THAT WE WERE VERY, VERY BUSY AND I DIDN'T HAVE A LOT OF TIME. THE GUY SAID THAT IT WOULD JUST TAKE A MINUTE, SO, DUMB ME LISTENED. BEFORE I KNEW WHAT HAD HAPPENED HE WAS TELLING ME THAT I WOULD OWE 1700.00 . I HAVE GOT TO GET THIS TAKEN CARE OF SO I AM GOING TO A LAWYER .. MAYBE A LAW SUIT WILL GIVE THEM A HEADS UP. I DO NOT WANT TO MESS WITH THESE PEOPLE AND THEY WILL UNDERSTAND COMPLETELY IN THE NEXT WEEK...

• Nu
      3rd of Jun, 2009

They are quick to fix things if you threaten legal action because they know they don't have a leg to stand on.

• Qu
      14th of Jun, 2009

Great advise. I will try it. My husband was called on his cell, and before Iknew it, he was giving out his debit card number. I about had a cow. I called and tried to cancel, and got and run around, but she said she could hold the charges for a few month, as I had sited financial difficulties as the reason to cancel. I was doing the internet search to see about changing the magazines to something I like at least, but now will try this tactic. Thanks

• D
      15th of Aug, 2009

National Readers Service scammed my 19 year old in June 2009. Specific suggestions for dealing with this scam are on my blog www.theNRSscam.blogspot.com
    Good luck! D/

• Pr
      24th of Sep, 2009

I just received a Call from them and asked where did they get my number from, The Guy said, it suddenly popped up on his computer, then I asked whats your Phone Number, He said I am calling from Computer, then I asked about the Company he said national Readers Service NRS. I asked about the Website... he said They dont have a website but we can look at nrs.com probably... and tried to escape me and said I have to call other people and am in short of time... and said Good Bye.

Be careful with thiese people.

Pratyush

6th of Nov, 2009

Luckily they didn't get much out of me before I saw this, mostly because I have no money at the moment anyway. I'm glad I saw this, so I know what to do now.

DO NOT AGREE TO ANYTHING WITH THESE PEOPLE. If you do have money they'll try to take anything they can, and if you don't they will hound you with phone calls.

• Da
      22nd of Dec, 2009
    National Reader Service - thier tring to get money
    Natinoal reader Service
    California

These people have been calling my phone to try and collect money from me for magazines i don't want! If anyone has any helpful advice, please post it!

• Mi
      22nd of Feb, 2010

I had my computer on hand when they called so when the lady heard me typing the name of the company, she hanged up. I was lucky.

• Ri

10406 Shawnee Mission Parkway
    Shawnee Kansas 66216
    U.S.A.
    Phone: 800-304-8550

I was fooled by these ###s twice. 1st when i was in college in 2003, I believe when they did the whole free Diamond watch thing. Well the 2nd time was when I had started my new job in January 2010. I told them that I did not want it but they insisted that i was on an automatic renewal, they had already paid the magazine company in advance, but then offered me 39.90 a month for 30 months instead of 59.90 a month for 60 months. I was in the middle of work at the time so i was a bit distracted. I stupidly/grudgingly agreed. I was so angry about this it made me sick and i lost sleep over this. I just bought a new house a month before, car payments, renovations that need to be done. I told them that, and they were stills dicks about it. Well, I submitted complaints to BBB they never responded to me. I submitted a complaint to FTC, they don't do individual complaints. I contacted my Attorney General for NY Andrew Cuomo. I got a letter about 2, 3 weeks later that his office got my letter and that they are going to send a copy of my letter to the NRS. That was 2 weeks ago. I logged into my bank account thinking that I would have less than $50 in there. Boy I was surprised. I had 2 credits to my account. Andrew Cuomo and his office did the job i needed them to do. I gave him both addresses (listed above). I fought NRS and I won this time. Now, most people would say that i was stupid to even let them do this to me the 1st time. You are correct. I was not thinking. I want this company gone!! I feel bad for everyone that has fell victim to this. Send a letter to your state's Attorney General. This world sucks, and we are struggling to survive. I hope that I have helped someone with this info. We need to look out for each other.

• Ty
      25th of Jan, 2011

i recieved a call from them today while working. i was so busy, i didnt listen very well, and i dont know how they recieved my card number. the person asked me to give my card number, and i asked "if this isnt a scam, you tell me" and he rattled off my card number. well i flipped out. i got off the phone and called Chase immediatly. they were very helpful and understood completely. after cancelling my card and giving them some info, i found out that NRS had already charged me $1.00, $39.31, $49.19, and $68.28. because my account balance wouldnt allow for transactions above my credit limit, only the $1.00 charge went through. thanks to overdraft protection through Chase, my account was not charged anything above the $1.00 amount. they said the $1.00 would be refunded immediatly and i should have my new card in 2-5 days. please, listen carefully if they call and DENY everything. if they have your card number already, take action immediatly