National Reader Service / fed up

1 KS, United States Review updated:

i got a telephone call about two years ago from a solicitor trying to sell me some subscriptions to magazines. This guy wasn't going to take no for an answer. To make a long story short, two years later I owe the company $1700. I've moved and the magazines weren't even forwarded to my new address. Whenever I call them and ask how many payments I have left, it's always 30. It's a damn shame people like that are allowed to do that.

Comments

• Be
      27th of Dec, 2008

Yes I also received a phone call from a solicitor selling my some subscriptions to magazines. I foolishly signed up. Now I tried to cancel the subscription but they said I made an obligation to pay. It states on the form I received that it is not a contract. It also says on the back of the paper, "The ability to change or cancel one without paying penalties." So I am wondering if these are lies?

• Am
      6th of Feb, 2009

I got a call from an unkown number, probably about a year ago. I signed up not thinking. I paid for 2 months before i received any magazines. Well my bills were piling up so I tried to cancel my subscription, and they told me that I had agreed to pay, and I wasn't able to cancel. I wish I would have known this was a scam. Now they are constantly calling me, saying I owe them money and blah blah blah. If i don't pay them, and they refuse to cancel my subscription, will it ruin my credit? Im 19, i cant afford for my credit to be ruined this early

• Sc
      6th of Feb, 2009

The same happened to my 19 year old son...I wouldn't worry about your credit as I don't believe it is a legitimate company that could possibly want to be tracked down. We plan to submit the info. to the FTC, and it is our plan to let them that if they continue to harass him.

• Ph
      10th of Feb, 2009

Tell them you make less than 600 dollars a month and they will leave you alone and cancel your account.

They called me under the guise of a company I already had delaings with saying that some people weren't receiving their magazines. Since I do go through a similar company to get magazines I assumed it was them and said I am getting all of my magazines.

Then they fast talk you and try to get you to agree to this and that to charge you 1700 dollars more over the next 3 years by saying that you paid off the first two years and now only owe the remaining 3. I checked my credit card statements while they were talking to me and they have never appeared on my bill for the lifetime of my card, so they are a 100% scam and are tricking people into this.

After a few supervisors one of them cancelled my "account" and put in that I make less than 600 dollars a month which makes me ineligible. When they ask for monthly income tell them you don't have one or it's something like 100 a month.

• Ni
      14th of Mar, 2009

As stated by Phantasm, I called them and said that I'm having problems paying, because I was just recently laid off and making less than 600 a month.

The guy who I talked to said that he couldn't do that, and after much asking, he said he has just the same amount of power as a supervisor, and that they were all in a "meeting". So I try to cancel the account, or beg that they finally cancel the subscriptions, the guy said "Sorry we made a promise that you pay 1400+ for your subscriptions" then he added "But we'll gladly lower your subscription costs and limit the number of magazines that you'll get."

Complete gaping holes in logic aside, I decided to opt for the lesser of these two evils and they reduced my payment to $19 a month for a grand total of about 800 over the 30 months. I also asked that they changed magazines. Canceled every one of them, made a new list of 4 only and called it done.

Two days later, I get a letter from National Reader Service all the way from Florida, previously all letters were from Kansas. Of course I open the letter, and it now says that I have signed up for 6 magazines. I call the number listed in the letter, and explain my situation (same one I gave 2 days ago) basically, "I didn't sign up for all these magazines. " He said "Oh you didn't, ok I'll just cancel your subscription here" and then he promptly kicked me off the line.

I'm holding my breath here, but I think I might've finally thrown these guys off my back.

• Gr
      9th of Apr, 2009

I just recieved a phone call from these people, and hung up on them, then I immediately called my credit card company. They assured me that as long as people dont give them their credit card number and other information ie. expiration date, the actual number and the actual name on the card you will be fine. Best thing to do is not give them personal information especially if you have no knowledge of signing up for magazines. The whole million dollar sweepstakes is a joke, people dont call offering money. But as long as you dont give them your information and definately dont sign up, you will be fine, save the hassel go buy the magazin you want in the store and send in the subscription card.

• Ia
      2nd of Jun, 2009

I just got sucked in the same way phantasm74 did. I simply called my bank and cancelled my card so that no further charges could be made against the account as the card will no longer be a valid card. I am such an A$$!!! What the heck was I thinking??!!!

5th of Aug, 2009

So, I just received a phone call from the "National Reader Service" and I had no idea what they were talking about. The guy said I still have 30 months left to pay at $69.99 a month for a magazine subscription containing 5 different magazines. A number of times I told this guy that there was no way I could pay for this since I don't have a job at the moment and he said he could lower the price to $39.99. I asked if there was any way I could cancel the subscription and he said no that it was already prepaid. (that doesn't make sense). Then he made me go through a verifying process and asked if the credit card they had on file was correct. Before he took me through the recorded verifying process I asked him if he could give me the # to the billing department.

After the phone conversation was over, I immediately called this #: 1-888-299-7302. I was expecting someone mean and who talked very fast, but to my surprise it was a very friendly, helpful lady. I told her what had happened and she sounded appalled that the guy wouldn't let me cancel and she told me she would be contacting the General Manager. She told me that she would put my account into cancellation and told me that "National Reader Service" may have already charged me the first month's $39.99. I hope this lady can help me out. She was so nice it almost made me want to cry. People, call this number and try to cancel. I feel like a weight has been lifted off my chest.

• Mg
      11th of Aug, 2009

I also got roped into this whole mess. I read a lot of posts like this and figured all was lost. I told myself just go with it and it will eventually be over. They got me when I was 18 like a lot of people. But after getting thrown around and noticed I was paying for two accounts (only getting one set of magazines) I was infuriated. I called (913)248-1800 it's their marketing/customer service #. I talked to a Melanie. I said I had a problem with my account and she transferred me. Two times no one picked up so I thought I was being run around. I called back again and she said sorry and said she would get someone personally. She did and transferred me to a Samantha Clark. I told here that I'd been sucked into this for 4 years and couldn't do it anymore. I said I'm going broke off of magazines and I don't make enough money. She immediately said she was going to cancel both accounts but could only give me a refund of my last payment for that second account.

I just did that so I've yet to see if it will follow through to next month. But for now it seems like some light at the end of this terrible tunnel. If you call either of those numbers ask for Samantha Clark because she was very nice and for once with this company didn't give you and regurgitated BS. I think she actually has a soul.

• D
      15th of Aug, 2009

National Readers Service scammed my 19 year old in June 2009. Specific suggestions for dealing with this scam are on my blog www.theNRSscam.blogspot.com
    Good luck! D/

• Aq
      9th of Feb, 2010

I also got stuck in this big mess. I'm 20 and they just got me 4 days ago. I got a call saying

Hello, ___? Hi! This is ___ with NRS. And this is just a courtesy call to let you know that you have been entered into the DREAM COME TRUE SWEEPSTAKES!! held annually for customers of VISA, MASTERCARD, AMERICAN EXPRESS and DISCOVER. And you DO still carry one of these cards, don't you?

I fell for it and gave them my info. I ended up paying $40 which they took off immediately. When I found out that it was the National Readers Service and found out this information, I immediately cancelled my debit card. I let them have that $40 (since I did agree to it) but I changed my debit card. I have been checking my statements like crazy and it seems that they haven't gotten anymore money from me. I'm still going to keep checking everything like my credit score and everything. If they somehow try to get more money from me, I will take the advice that I've seen from these people and threaten them legally and try to get them off of my back. This blog www.theNRSscam.blogspot.com seems to know what she/he is doing so I will follow their suggestion if the harassment continues. This place has fraud written all over them. I WISH U ALL THE BEST IN THIS BATTLE!!

10th of Feb, 2010

this company is nuts... I just got the call from an unavailable number and decided to look up the company... thank god you all made this mistake for me.. thanks for sharing the info.

• 2a
      19th of Jul, 2010

I'm so mad at myself for letting them scam me. About 2 1/2 years ago, magazines started coming to my house. I had never spoken to anyone or requested any subscriptions, so I had no idea why they were coming. 4 to 6 months later, a girl from NRS called saying I owed $49.90 for the magazines in total. I asked why I was getting them and she said I ordered them during some very legally binding phone call that never happened. I told her I never ordered magazines and to cancel the subscriptions and she said we'd cancel during the recorded question/answer portion. I stupidly gave her my bank account info to pay the "one-time only" charge of $49.90 to pay my balance. I requested a written copy of the contract or a copy of the recording where I agreed to the contract, plus the information on the company. She said it would be in the mail shortly with the rest of the account info. All I ever received was a list of magazines I could change to. Here it is two years after their first call, and despite repeated requests for proof that I have a contract with them, they've never sent me anything but these damned magazines! Their agents have even hung up on me after I've asked about the recordings. I thank God that the first confusing phone call made me worry enough to close that bank account, so they've only gotten $49.90 from me. The last guy to call claims they refunded that money to me when I told them I had financial hardships (a lie, they kept it) and he's here to be my best buddy and stop the phone calls if I'll "make a one-time only payment of $199.00 with my credit card today!" I asked about the recordings and he said "Oh, yeah. I review all of those recordings before I call a customer, you really did sign up for this." He then proceeded to run through an eight minute spiel about the company buying out my contract, I owe the company $1, 200, he needs my credit card ASAP, if I'm tired of seeing the magazines have them sent to family members or the children's hospital instead, I'm the last stop before legal action, we can get into your accounts anyway, yadda yadda yadda. When I told him I don't have a credit card or $200, he said he'd call me the next Friday I get paid and I can go to Walmart to get a prepaid card, and just because he's so nice he'll hide my file from his superiors and drop it down to $149. When he calls on Friday, I'm going to tell him to bring on the lawyers. They don't know I work for one, this isn't right and they don't scare me. I just want them to go away and leave me alone. I may start mailing all the magazines to their office -- you paid for them, you keep them.

• Co
      31st of Aug, 2010

First things first. I hate the national reader... I wanted to cancel my account because of this scam, but Kristen (the woman on the phone), told me in order to do so I would have to pay the remaining amount of the year and I'd still be getting the magazines. (Which isn't really cancelling). I canceled the account anyways because I didn't want National Reader digging into my account without my consent any longer.
    I called this number to cancel my account, just in case you are wanting to do the same.
    1-800-304-8567

8th of Nov, 2010

They lied. They promised that after the first payment I would be sent a paper statement, so that I could opt out easily. No such thing happened. They keep billing my credit card and I can never seem to get through to their customer service to cancel my subscription. Do no do business with these people.

• Ni
      9th of Dec, 2010

COntact the Better Business Bureau.http://www.bbb.org/. I used the Internt site it was easier for me.They got them out of my hair for good..1 (703) 276.0100
    Hope this helps everybody.