National Home Protection, Inc. / Home Depot Gift Card SCAM

1 42 West 38th Street, New York, NY 10018New York, NY, United States Review updated:
Phone: (800) 608-6045

Offered a $50.00 home depot gift card to get the business than never sends card. Sent repeated emails and calls to rude unprofessional customer service reps, that claim that they have nothing to do with the rebates and cannot connect me to anyone who can help, they hang up on you when you ask for a manager or president. A class action law uit will be filed against them for false advertising. Anyone who wants to join in on this lawsuit let me know.

Be

Comments

17th of Jul, 2008

I am currently in dispute with National Home Protection regarding the coverage of my washer. They are extremely difficult to deal with. They are refusing to cover my washer in full as their policy states. They offered me a $253.00 buyout on my old washer which could go towards a new washer or to the repair of my current washer. The cost to repair is around $600.00 and a new one is more than that. Their contract is totally misleading and some of their statements are outright fraudulent. I told them I want to cancel my contract but they are ignoring my request. I am all for a class action lawsuit against this company. Count me in!

• Va
      5th of Aug, 2008

A week ago my furnace started making loud noises and I called my home warranty company National Home Protection (NHP) to have someone come out and fix the noise. NHP sent out a Furance Technician who looked at the issue and decided that the bearings were going bad within the Furnace motor/blower and the motor/blower had to be replaced. The technician called NHP and after discussing the issue with NHP came in and said that they would need maintenance records for the furnace before approving the repairs.

I just bought the house 2 months before and have had no maintenance on the house utilities; so, as a substitute they said I should send in the Home Inspection documents to include everything regarding the furnace and the page before and after. I faxed in the documents, called to ensure they recieved them and was told I would hear back in 24-48 hours. After 1 week I called them to find out the status as they did not call me as promised, only to find out that they had denied the claim because 1) there was not proper maintenance records and 2) the furance was not inoperable, they only repair things which are inoperable and not things which are broken, but yet working in a reduced capacity.

This is my second claim with NHP the first took 1 month to fix a water heater which the thermostat was broken after going through about 4 contractors.

This company has terrible service and makes it a practice to make repairs difficult or impossible to discourage payouts. Fortunately spring is here and I don't have to worry about my family freezing from the furnace issues, but will now have to pay $500 out of my own pocket to get the repairs - not to mention the $45 I had to pay for the initial contractor to review the issue.

Please stay away from this company and find a Home Warranty company which is more reputable. They also do NOT give you the Home Depot gift card which was promised at time of signing.

• Na
      28th of Aug, 2008

I purchased a plan in Oct. 2007 and sent in for my $50 Home Depot gift card Dec. 2007. I inquired about it in May 2008 and was told to fax info. I inquired in July and was told there was nothing saying that they recieved it and to re fax. I called 8/11/08 and ws told that they would post it to the account and I could call back in 2-4 days to check. I called today 8/28 and was told it was denied because it was not submitted on time. After complaining they then aggreed to send me a $25 gift card instead and it will be processed in 30 days. I'm not holding my breath. I have had other issues with them in the past as will. Will keep you posted.

• Ba
      3rd of Sep, 2008

I am in for the class action suit.

Please contact me at mrvmax@hotmail.com, send the message urgent or something so it wont go to the Junk mail section.

• Te
      12th of Sep, 2008

Count me in. I am currently having difficulty with NHP and every time I ask to speak with a manager there is never anyone available. I find it odd that the same person picks up the telephone every time I call. Do they have more than one employee??? I filed a claim with them about my pool pump not working and they sent a tech out. The tech stated that the pump needed to be replaced. NHP is now requesting maintenance records on my pool pump. We do not pay anyone to do monthly maintenance as we do it ourselves, so there are no records. I contacted the tech that came out they stated they have never heard of any required maintenance needed. I then contacted the Hayward company and recieved documentation stating there is no annual maintenance required. I then contacted NHP back and again the SAME female answered the phone and again I requested to speak with a manager and AGAIN was told no one was available. I am frustrated to tears over this matter and do not know what to do. I have already paid them my annual premium and the service call fee for this incident. UUURRRGGGGG...

• Je
      20th of Sep, 2008

I am in for the class action suit.

I've called numerous times over the last nine months regarding the $150 Home Depot gift card that I was promised. Mailed the rebate in twice & never received anything. Customer Svc reps are completely rude. I keep getting the run around, hung up on & have requested a a manager several times but one is never available. I've been told a number of times a manager will call me back but of course they never do. This company is ridiculous & something shoud be done!!

Please contact me at sunsetbeech@gmail.com

• Ka
      23rd of Sep, 2008

I am in for the class action suit. I have not received the promised Home Depot card. In addition, NHP has denied my father's claim on his air conditioning unit. It blew up about 17 days after the policy took place, but both a report from an HVAC technician AND the inspection report indicated that the unit was in working order before we purchased the unit. It was an old unit, however, and the company is indicating that this is a pre-existing condition because the former owner did not have the unit serviced on its one-year anniversary in April -- which we had no control over since we did not own the unit. I also was exposed to rude, unbending customer service individuals, including a so-called manager.

• Tl
      8th of Oct, 2008

They also scam me on the HD gift card. Very long story. I would like to be involved in the class action suit. Can someone tell me how to join this suit. Thank you.

• Ab
      20th of Oct, 2008

We also never rec'd the HD giftcard. They also insisted $170 was fair to repair or replace or washing machine. One rep simply refused to connect me to a supervisor, the other said they would not give a number for a manager and said they were all "in a meeting." I got the vibe this business is operating out of a spare bedroom in some NYC apartment. Definitely in for any class action lawsuit.

Contact: abbyutc@hotmail.com

• Su
      31st of Oct, 2008

I have also been cheated by NHP. I'll be happy to be a part of class action lawsuit against them. Has the suit been filed yet?

• Ba
      1st of Nov, 2008

They are absolute crooks. They promised I could cancel at anytime. When I tried to do so they directed me to their crooked cancellation clause - cancel within 3 days for a cost of $50 but can't file a claim for 30 days. So you can't find out what crooks they are until at least 25 days after you've missed your op to cancel. Any idea to whom we can report them. I managed to get my credit card company to reverse the charges 3 times. And I didn't get the promised HD gift card.

Barbara Pletcher
    817-485-6878
    Any ideas, call me.

5th of Nov, 2008

I have same problem. But I live in Kentucky, I already file Small Claim Court but New York bank didn't take any action with KY.
    If you file law suit this company. Please count me in.
    Thanks

10th of Nov, 2008

I have had a similar complaint about the promotional Home Depot card that was promised if I subscribed for a three year term. I have telephoned several times with no one answering my questions or being referred to non-existent departments to leave a message. There have been no return calls!
    I have written by registered mail. I received a one letter from a "Mr.Giles" saying I was ineligible to receive the card because I requested it too soon(?). I replied with a fax, but again: No response.
    Finally, I have documented my experiences and referred them to both, the New York State Insurance Department and my local state insurance commission. As of today New York State is investigating my complaint. My local state insurance commission has informed that they are not licensed to do business in our state.

• Wi
      13th of Nov, 2008

I also am having a problem getting my Home Depot Gift Cards. On 01/02/08. I purchased a five year plan using my AMX card, because I was told I would get Five $50 Home Depot Gift cards if I did this. In Feburary I submitted for my rebate. I never got the cards. On 05/01/08 I spoke with a Customer Service Rep and was told I should resubmit. The Rep emailed me the resubmission paperwork and gave me a fax number to sent it to, because the deadline for me to submit was 05/02/08. I faxed the papers on 05/01/08 so they would be there on or before 05/02/08. I waited 15 weeks and did not receive anything from them. I called again and was told it was being handled by someone else and was give an email address to contact them. I sent them an email mail and got an immediate responses that said I would hear something in 7 to 14 working days. On the 15th working day I sent another email to the same address and got the same response. After the 14th working day I called again and was told that there was no one available to help me. I called on 11/11/08 and finally got to speak to a Manager. I was told that my rebates was disapproved, because I submitted the first one to early. I ask about the resubmission and was told it was disapproved also. I was offered Five $10 Home Depot gift cards as a courtesy. I told this so called manager no and that I was going to report his company to the New York Insurance Commission as well as the New York Better Business Bureau. I am also going to report them to my State Insurance Commission as well as my local BBB and the state BBB. I am in the process of doing this at this time.

2nd of Dec, 2008
    National Home Protection, Inc. - DECEPTIVE BUSINESS PRACTICES
    NATIONAL HOME PROTECTION
    42 West 38th Street
    New York
    New York
    Phone: (800) 608-6045
    NationalHomeProtection.com

GOOD NEWS!! Today, December 1, 2008, I was notified that I had a message from someone on my3cents.com (regarding National Home Protection). I went to the Website for my3cents.com and there was a message for me from Detective Lieutenant Steve Peters of the Ocean Township Police Department in New Jersey. Lt. Peters provided me with his contact information as follows:

"Please contact me at the Ocean Twp. Police Dept in New Jersey (732) 531-1800 Ext. 231 or E-mail speters@oceantwp.org. Thanks."

I telephoned Lt. Peters immediately and he asked me questions about my experience with NHP and he made note of my Email address. Lt. Peters said that his Department has been investigating United Home Warranty, which was owned by David Seruya, who now owns NHP. The Ocean Township Police Department is also trying to work with the NY State Office of the Attorney General regarding a pattern of deception with Seruya's companies.

If you have not heard from Lt. Peters, I urge you to please contact Lt. Peters and inform him of your experiences with NHP.

ALSO, EVERYONE NEEDS TO FILE A COMPLAINT WITH THE NY STATE OFFICE OF THE ATTORNEY GENERAL AS FOLLOWS:

Log onto the following http://www.oag.state.ny.us Go to "Resource Center" and Click On "Consumer Frauds" then Click On "Filing a Consumer Complaint." Click on the down arrow next to "Choose a Regional Office." Scroll down and Click On "New York City, " then Click On "GO." Type ALL pertinent information and COMPLETE THE FORM IN FULL, THEN PRINT IT. Mail to the address at the bottom of the form. BE SURE TO INCLUDE COPIES (No Originals) of ALL IMPORTANT PAPERS CONCERNING YOUR TRANSACTION.

THERE IS STRENGTH IN NUMBERS, EVERYONE NEEDS TO TAKE ACTION.

Thank you so much.

• Iv
      10th of Dec, 2008

Do not do business with National Home Protection!! You'll get ripped off!!!

• Ol
      15th of Jan, 2009

GOOD NEWS!! Today I was notified that I had a message from someone on my3cents.com (regarding National Home Protection). I went to the Website for my3cents.com and there was a message for me from Detective Lieutenant Steve Peters of the Ocean Township Police Department in New Jersey. Lt. Peters provided me with his contact information as follows:

"Please contact me at the Ocean Twp. Police Dept in New Jersey (732) 531-1800 Ext. 231 or E-mail speters AT oceantwp.org. Thanks."

Thank you so much.

• Fr
      6th of Mar, 2009

We need to file a class action law suit against this company. They are dishonest and vendors refuse to work for them as they do not pay their bills. I am disputing my premium with them through VISA and will fight to the death. Let's get the attorney general's office involved as well.

• Vi
      21st of Mar, 2009

I am also in for a class action suit against them. When I signed up for the service, they told me I would receive a $50 home depot gift card, If I signed up for 1 year and $250 for a 5 year contract. I fell for the 5 year plan.
    Later I realised what i stepped into. I had a problem with my gas furnace, it woud not come on. I called up NHP and had a technician come in. The problem initially was diagonsed as a faulty thermocouple. After a couple of visits they figured out the problem was a faulty thermal overload protection switch. The technician took the swtich as he needed to order the part. I did not hear back from the Technician after that. When I followed up with a call I realised that NHP has not paid them for the work done. I am now stuck wihtout the part.
    When I followed up with NHP, I was told a Supervisor would call me, which has not happend. Also regarding my gift card i sent them an e-mail as directed by a customer service representative. It has been 3 weeks sicne the e-mail and 6 months since I signed up. I still have not heard back. The customer service reps. are rude and the only way to contact the rebates dept. is via e-mail. All I want is my money back.

• Ha
      30th of Mar, 2009

OK, since I have had the exact same experience as everyone here...COUNT ME IN! How they are still in business is beyond me.