National City Bank / if you want customer service, don't come here!

1 State St. branch, though all are equally badBowling Green, KY, United States Review updated:
Phone: they don't list it...it's that bad

I am not a hard person to please, so when I find a website and devote the time to telling my experience, that in and of itself should tell you something.

I recently moved to Bowling Green, KY this year, I have always been an avid Wells Fargo customer, but there aren't any out here where I can go, so I signed up with National City. BIG MISTAKE!!

Suffice it to say for a majority of the year I had only one disgression that was made known to me, but I called it naivity and went on. Later in the year Uhaul charged my card $80 instead of the $38 that I signed for. It was a merchant error, and National City was completely unwilling to work with me, not even give me advice. Their phone number virtually doesn't exist, and when you call their 1-800 customer service number they give you a false number. Any complaint you have can only be remedied at the branch you opened your account at...period. Eventually I went through the BBB and they refunded me the overdraft charges that incurred due to Uhaul's mistake, but would not go after the merchant for the wrongdoing.

My most recent gripe that is now making me switch banks is that I went on vacation. Prior to getting on the plane I spent less than $20 at 3 seperate locations and had over $400 in my account at the time the purchases were made. I left February 28th, deposited an extra $400 on the 28th and had my roommate give our landlord a rent check on the 2nd because I was away on vacation. I did not use that bank account the entire vacation. I come back on the 5th to realize that over $100 in overdrafts have been taken from my account. Apparently the purchases I made on the 27th and 28th of February didn't post until the 2nd. The bank's "computer randomly decided to choose my rent check to cash first"...so $696 came out first, then the 3 seperate payments of less than $20 and then finally they deposited the money even though the deposit came first, followed by the 3 least expensive purchases and then finally the rent check. When I went to a branch to ask why I was told to step into an office. Waited 10 minutes for the tellers to quit chatting with one another and after she told me what I already knew I was told there was nothing to be done about it because this wasn't the branch I opened my account with...I went to the branch I opened my account with and was told too bad, and if I didn't like it I should study my contract or close my account and leave.

So in short, unless you plan to remember every line of the contract you sign with this bank, I assure you... you will get screwed too! You are suppose to just "know" that merchants have 60 days to cash in on debit card purchases, or that their atm deposit takes 2 additional business days for deposits to go through as opposed to the typical 1. And when you don't know, it's not considered a "bank error". For every overdraft count on $34 to be taken out, and when there are 2 in a row an additional $20, on top of what is in your savings. It adds up trust me...this is the worst bank I have ever had the displeasure of being a part of.

Comments

• Bh
      7th of Mar, 2009

I really agree with your opinion. I do the same mistake by taking nationalcity credit card. They don't know how to talk to the customer. I had a big problem with my credit card. They sent me a bill with due date. As soon as I got my bill, I went to pay my bill and they charged me 30$ extra. When I argued for that they ignored my situation and ask me for any other problems. They reaaly made me mad by wasting my 2 hours and my mind. They supposed to say sorry for their mistake but they blame on me. And finally I closed me account.

• Na
      6th of Oct, 2009

Exact same issue!! A merchant mistakenly charged me, so I contacted National City via the webchat. The agent REFUSED to give me a phone number! I was charged a $36 overdraft fee and was told there was nothing they could do. I asked for a supervisor and was told they did not have one. After much research, I found a number, was told the same thing, and was also told it was not their problem and I had to go after the merchant to pay the $36. Furthermore, I wasn't even overdrawn!!! The way things posted, it was a mathematical impossibility for me to be overdrawn. Any suggestions? -- SMC

• Eg
      16th of Oct, 2009

That's why I call National City Bank, National ### Bank!!! These people wouldn't know customer service if it slapped them in the face! I hate this bank--it makes you want to burry your money in a hole and call it a day! Totally agree with all the above statements.