Nair Hair Remover Soothing Wax Kit / Beware

I followed directions exactly, including the small test patch the day before. The test was fine, so I waxed my legs.

The next day, a bunch of my hair follicles on my lower legs were swollen, some filled with clear liquid while others filled with white puss. Then the areas around the surrounding areas got red, swollen, and painful. This was not an allergic reaction.

I had developed an infection, which required doctor’s visits, antibiotics, and pain killers. This possible reaction was not listed on the label.

My doctor said that during the waxing process, the hair follicles are slightly opened up or damaged, which can lead to dangerous bacteria entering the body.

I wanted to have great legs for my vacation in the sun... now I have to worry about dark spots developing and possibly even scarring.

Va

Comments

• Li
      25th of Jul, 2008

Thank you for reporting this problem. The exact same thing happened to my daughter. Had I not read the severity of your problem I might not have made an appointment right away with her doctor and it may have become much worse.

• Ca
      15th of Dec, 2008

I had the same thing happen! Large pimples came up on my legs and 2 of them became very infected leading to doctors visits and antibiotics. This is the first infection I've had in over 20 years. I'm not prone to them. Has anyone contacted Nair about this situation?

• Sk
      9th of Jun, 2009

I suffer with a similar thing with waxing. It's like what the doctor said, as the hair folicle is open, bacteria can get in there and can cause spots. Suppose the same thing happens on your face really, pores open and spots occur. Just unlucky really rather than the products fault, same thing happens with veet as well with me.