Mystery Shoppers / Online fraud

Signed up for surveys on-line. Asked what interests were and opportunities would be mailed. Received letter from Mystery Shoppers, Inc. that included a $4200 check. Told to deposit the money and sent them a $3700 via Western Union so that they could check the Western Union process. I was given a list of stores to shop and told to spend $100 at one of the stores and complete the included form about the experience and mail it back. I was told that the remainder of the money was mine to keep. I deposited the check in the bank and waited for it to clear. The bank detected that the check was fraudulent, closed my bank account and kept the money that was in my account. As a result of this, my car payments were not paid and my car was repossessed.

Va

Comments

• La
      12th of Nov, 2008

You allowed them to do this - because YOU CHOSE not to check it out before depositing the check.

If you had asked your bank first, they probably would have confirmed it was fake. If you searched the internet on Mystery Shopping Scams you would have discovered it as well.

However you saw free money and did exactly what the scammers wanted you to do.

You better file a police report.

A very expensive lesson - consider yourself lucky that the BANK does not have you arrested for passing bad checks.

19th of Nov, 2008

Hmmmmm I got the same kind of offer as a Mystery Shopper only I didn't take the bait. What looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, usually is. It really looked fishy too. Glad I didn't get suckered into that onel

• La
      19th of Nov, 2008

YOU WERE SCAMMED! YOU LET IT HAPPEN because you chose not to check it out first - Search the internet on Mystery Shopping Scams -

The whole point is to steal your money and you let them do it to you.

1st. No business is going to blindly send checks for that amount in the hopes that people will do as asked.
    2nd. You have to be affiliated with a legitimate Mystery Shopping program and apply for jobs, the businesses then hire you to do the work.
    3rd You assumed it was legitimate and deposited the check - you should have asked the bank to verify BEFORE DEPOSITING!