Mystery Shopper-russell Investment Group / Faudulant check

1 2231 Mariona Centre, Suite 2002London, Ontario, Canada Review updated:
Phone: 1-289-888-2352

I received a short letter and a check from the company Russell Investment Group., from Bank of the West in Rio Rancho, New Mexico. Following the instructions in the letter, I called the number given and It was explained to me how the mystery shopping was to be done, by a James at the call center at the number given. I have experience in mystery shopping and it was never done like this. When I got to my bank I asked the manager to check and to see if this was legitimate or fraudulant. After about 15-20 minutes with her investigating through Bank of the West, it was found to be fraudulant!
Not too surprising! But PATHETIC!

Comments

• Ge
      16th of May, 2008

I should have stated in my complaint post that this company, if it exists at all is based in Canada, but I live in California and that's where this happened! Oh, and the check amount was $3, 675.00!

• Ca
      28th of Jul, 2009

The letter probably asked you to deposit the check into your account and then get a Cashier's Check made payable to them and send it to them to cover taxes or some such reason.

This is very similar to lottery scams or Nigerian email scams.

Money is not free. If you are mailed a check from a company you know nothing about be suspicious.