My Child Magazine / taking money from credit card

1 235 John St EC1 V 4NGLondon, England, Greater London, United Kingdom Review updated:

This complaint is similar to the numerous ones recorded on your site, and also follows an investigation into MyChild Magazine featured on BBC's Watchdog programme broadcast on 2 May 2007 (please see other complaints for this company listed on this site)
This magazine My Child, in association with a company called Electric World, are currently running an internet promotion advertising free trial to My Child magazine, with a promotional pack of software available to "borrow" for 9 days - and if you don't want it after this time you can return pack with no obligation to buy.

like many others I sent off this offer, to date I have had 2 payments taken from my credit card, one for £9 and one for £80. The payments were taken from Electric Worlds Merchant account with WorldPay.
They also "set up" an agreement through WorldPay Future Payments agreements system, where they would take £80 (this amount could be increased/decreased by Electric world at their behest) from my credit card at 2 yearly intervals to continue with a subscription to "My Child" magazine.

To date I have not received any mail/software package/magazine from My CHild/Electric World - but as I have now asked them not to send anything, I no longer expect to receive anythinh - looking at other complainants on this site - it seems I would have been unlikely to have received anything from them anyway.

I have managed to cancel "The Agreement" through WorldPay, but unfortunately my credit card has been debited by £88 - money going to My Child/Electric World.

Like many others - I have emailed and telephoned to absolutely no avail. They have offered no explanations - and no refunds have been forthcoming.
I am in the process of writing to BBC Watchdog programme, amongst other avenues of effort in order to obtain refunds.
If others wish to contact BBC Watchdog to complain about this Company and their apalling methods their address is as follows:

BBC Watchdog, 201 Wood Lane, London, W12 7TS

I think it would be a good idea if we kept in contact in order that we can keep ourselves updated of progress.

Al

More My Child Magazine Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Su
      29th of May, 2008

For people wishing to visit this company - their Company Registraton number is:

their reg. address is: My Child Ltd, St John Street, London,

postcode: EC1V 4NG

• Al
      29th of May, 2008

Have now received my money back from My Child magazine.

Some informaton for those still waiting for refunds..

Yesterday I went to their office in London - and secured entry to the building, and basically said I would not leave the building until I had my refund of £89 in total. As i was talking rather loudly at the time and going over their rather dubious sales methods - they were eager to get me out the building - and paid me in cash - total refund of £89.
    Good luck to others.

• Ml
      20th of Jun, 2008

My child contacted me on the phone, asking me to try some tapes for my son. I was asked to provide my card details for a £9 charge re postage. A company attempted to deliver something, I don't know what as I was not at home. I asked them to redeliver at the weekend when I am likely to be at home. They didn't. Their card says that if the product is not collected within a given period they will return it to the sender. I assumed that they had returned the item (s)? to My Child. In any event I have never had any goods from My Child.

A few weeks later I got a call from a male My Child representative, whom I informed that I had not received their product. He gave me a number to call for redelivery. I did not call the number as what little interest I had in the product had died.

I checked my my bank statements a couple of months later only to discover that My Child had deducted two payments of £80. This without communicating with me. I sent them an email immediately asking for a refund. there was no reply. I phoned their customer service number as given to my bank, it was dead. Called directory enquires to check the number. They had a different number for the company. When I called that number it was also dead. They continue to send me unsolicited promotional emails despite my telling them not to. They have still not replied to my emails.

I will make a complaint to the police as I consider this to be theft; they had no right to hold on to my card details and use it to withdraw monies at will. I will also contact watch dog and take civil action for the return of my money.

M. Lambert.

25th of Jul, 2008

My CHild have taken £160 out of my account. Does anyone know how I can get this back without having to travel to London as I live in Liverpool?