murphy / Shake A Paw

1 Lynbrook, NY, United States Review updated:

We bought our FIRST family dog from Shake-A-Paw on or about October, 2005. We fell in love with her when we first saw her. We knew nothing about this particular breed. She was a french Mastiff, the dog from the movie "Turner and Hooch." Immeidately she was sick with "kennel cough." Of course, we took her to the "recommended vet" that Shake-A-Paw recommended. She got better over time. ABout 2 years ago, she started to vomit pretty irregular though. BUt mind you, she was only 2 when these symptoms started happening. We ALWAYS took her to the vet for her shots, sick visits and never let her down in that way.
This past December, 2009 she again started vomiting YELLOW and WHITE with yellow foam. We were, at this point, so fustrated, that we took her to the "recommended vet" again. They told us that NOTHING was wrong with her that he was just going to have stomach problems for the rest of her life. Well we admitted her a few days before Christmas as she was dehydrated and not eating or drinking. Now mind you this dog was about 110 pds and for her not to eat it showed right away as you could see the weight loss. We went and picked her up on December 26, 2009 with a $2, 500 bill we were told "borrow the money" and also told "she is just one of those dogs who is gonna have stomach problems for the rest of her life." That was not too settling for us, but we TRUSTED the vet and took her home. 2 days later, same problem again. back to the vet and now this time they put her on prednisone. she got better, i mean really better. she was eating a lot, jumping around...our dog was back.
after i started weaning her off the prednisone, she got worse again and i took her for a 2nd opinion and within 20 mins they told me either she has cancer or her stomach is twisted...a twisted stomach is normal for big dogs...it was recommeded that she see a specialist so we did, the next day took her to a specialist. by the time we got there she was in shock and had not eaten or drank anything in 4-5 days. her body was shutting down. they felt her lymph noids and found that they were extremely swollen. some bloodwork and 30 mins later, it was confimred...she has lymphoma cancer. we made the harsh decision to put her down that day. she was only 4 1/2 years old. we have 3 children and they cried for days as did we. i want to start a class action suit to sue shake-a-paw for the puppy mill that they are running. if anyone knows how to do it, please let me know.
thanks
carole and charles murphy

Comments

• Ji
      10th of Dec, 2009
    murphy - double billed
    2668 tinosa cir.
    Florida
    Phone: 8503412452

double billed on order #xcef-0012-0355-6449-5610 .
    if this is not corrected by 12/12/09 i will cancel all.
    e-mail agc2119@yahoo.com

• Sw
      23rd of Feb, 2010

MY NAME IS SHERRI IN TEXAS IM SORRY ABOUT YOU'RE FAMILY DOG I HAD ALMOST THE SAME THING HAPPEN TO ME BUT MY CHIHUAHUA WAS PREGNANT AND WAS IN LABOR FOR 8HRS I TOOK HER TO 24 HR EMERGENCY VET CAUSE SHE WAS A TEACUP CHIHUAHUA WHO WAS PREGNANT BY A TEACUP CHIHUAHUA SO I TOOK HER IN AND BECAUSE I DIDNT HAVE THE MONEY TO PAY FOR HELP THEY TOLD ME VERY RUDE THAT SINCE I DIDNT HAVE THE MONEY TO PAY TO HELP THAT I COULD JUST PUT DOWN MY PRECIOUS CHIHUAHUA MEANING TO PUT HER TO SLEEP I CRYED AND REFUSED AND TOLD THEM THAT IS WAS A SICK THING TO SAY OR DO ONLY CAUSE SHE WAS PREGNANT AND COULDNT PUSH THE BABYS OUT. I ASK MYSELF AND PEOPLE I KNOW HOW COULD THEY EVEN THINK OF PUTTING DOWN A HEALTHY CHIHUAHUA THATS PREGNANT. THAT IS SICK TO ME. WHO EVER LIVES IN TEXAS PLS DONT EVER GO THERE IT'S ON I-45 SOUTH OUTSIDE OF HOUSTON YOU WILL NEVER REALLY KNOW WHAT THEY WILL DO TO YOU'RE PRECIOUS ANIMAL. MY HEART GOES OUT TO YOU I ALSO BOUGHT A PUPPY THAT HAD PAPERS AND IT DIED IN MY ARMS AT THE AGE OF 9 MONTHS STILL DONT KNOW WHAT IT WAS HE WAS A BLACK POM THAT I LOVED SO MUCH AND WAS A HOUSE PET. THANK YOU AND MAY GOD BLESS YOU.
    SHERRI. La Porte Texas.

• Ar
      13th of Oct, 2011

Hi Carole and Charles,

My case is not as severe as yours, but me and my boyfriend have been considering suing Shake A Paw. We have a 11 month boxer, who has had diarrhea is entire life (we got him at 8weeks). It seems that he may have obtained giardia before we even got him. The recommended vet actually suggested we reach out to Shake A Paw to make them pay for all of our vet costs since we've visited the vet every month trying to get to the bottom of this. We haven't taken any action yet but were looking for other disgruntled customers. I am extremely upset that this poor puppy has been sick his entire life and that I have paid so much money to figure out what is wrong with him. He still has bad days and good days and I'm hoping things will turn around, otherwise I don't think he'll make it. I know this is over a year ago, but please let me know if you have taken any action or would like to.

Thanks,