Multy Electronics / Ripping off customers, confusing sales tactics

1 Broadway 1333New York, NY, United States Review updated:
Phone: 212-6433700

This small store sells photo equipment overpriced by hundreds of
percents. They use confusing tactics and pressure customers to buy from them: when I
doubted the price of the product I was buying, they misquoted the prices of the same
product in UK and other places in Europe and pressured me to buy the product as I was
"the last customer of the day, we want to make this good deal for you". The product I was
buying was the Canon EF 75-300 mm 1:4-5.6 III lens, which I mistook for the newer 70-300
mm lens, whose retail price is somewhere around 700 . When I managed to haggle the
original price, that was marked on the price tag, 1400 dollars, down to 650, I thought I
had made a good deal and bought the lens.

Only later did I realize I had paid over 200 % overprice for the product. This is also when I realized the salesman had lied to me when quoting the prices of the same product in Europe. The following day I went into the shop and tried to return the lens, or to restock it, to be exact. On the wall in the store
there was a sign stating that the restocking fee is 20 % and I thought I'd pay the fee to
get rid of the bad purchase. When I asked about the matter, the employees told me to talk
to the owner - who wasn't available. I asked for his phone number, which they couldn't
give me, "because the owner is having sex at the moment" as they told me. They told me
that he'd be back in the store only much later, after I'd have left New York. Based on
what I know about New York law, the employees' refusal to restock the product for the fee
they state in the store seems to border on breaking the law. If this is indeed the case,
this unhappy customer would be delighted to hear that officials react to this matter.

Of course the whole business logic of this small store is unethical, being based on
confusing customers and lying to them - on the other hand, the only law the business
might have broken is their refusing to restock the product even though I agreed to pay
the fee they request. So what I'd like to happen is that I could return the product for
restocking, even if I had to pay the outrageous 20 % fee (which in this case equals with
50 % of the product's retail price).

Comments

• Mo
      20th of Mar, 2010

This company is worse than you can imagine. I bought a camera and a projector on march 18th from them. They convinced me to buy brands I had not heard of and I blame myself for that. The next day I checked online and realized that they had really ripped me off charging 200% above market prices. Despite all this, i accepted full blame for for making the purchases.

What I wanted was to exchange the items for the actual brands that I wanted. I went there peacefully and tried to make an exchange. The company policy is no cash refunds and exchanges must be done in 7 days. When I spoke with the owner and explained what I wanted, he then tripled the prices of the brands I wanted! His strategy was to inflate the prices so high that in trying to exchange I would have to add more money and in effect be cheated a second time.

When I complained that in 24 hours he had tripled the prices of the same items I was asking of the previous day, he started to insult me and I lost my cool. I tried to tell him that insulting me was not the right way to go. I got more insults for my efforts and he eventually told me to leave his shop and he refused to allow me to exchange. He threatened to call the cops and show me the power he had to have me arrested.

To protect myself from this clear unfair act of refusing the exchange I called 911. After a long delay a policeman came. He told me that the only thing I could do was to collect the details of the company and report them to the NY Consumer Agency. The policeman escorted me into the store and I got the information and left. I have reported to the agency and will monitor what comes out of it.

Basically I have been told that all those electronic shops are the same. Multy tech seems to me the worst of them. They have price tags of over 1, 000 on every single item. They do bait and switch. They also refrain frmo letting you know until the last minute that the product you are buying is a second hand one. They discourage you from buying the brands you want and push onto you products of inferior quality at the prices of the quality items.

For the owner of this shop to insult me for over half an hour and refuse to allow me to exchange my products is annoying and a painful experience. It is a hard earned lesson and I feel sorry for all those who will fall into the trap of this company. They are thieves and very disrespectful to their customers. Unfortunately they toe a fine line and in most cases though they cheat their customers, they are not breaking any laws. They however need a good lesson.

One is better off going to Best Buy J and R or other places for electronics. Any store that has a no cash refund policy is a dangerous one to shop with. My investigation indicates that it is legal for such shops to undertake this practice. Whoever made it legal for a shop to not allow cash refunds is a ### of the highest order! How does a customer get any fairness in that situation? What legitimate company would even practice rubbish like this?

Be warned, MultyElectronics is a robbery zone and everything you read about them online is true. I have burn $1, 000 to get my experience.

• Rh
      19th of Sep, 2010

Unfortunately I was in a rush to buy a camera since old one had stopped working. I concur with much of the above and sadly paid 594 for a a sony DSC-H5s. On returning back from holiday I find I have been totally ripped off by several hundred $.

Be very careful before purchasing any good from this store, know the price before shopping.

• Kd
      10th of Jun, 2011

I am not agree ...i got one gud camera from these guys with some discount as well. A want to say thanks to these guys for thier suggestion.

• St
      18th of Dec, 2011

My poor Danish mother and sister walked into the store on their vacation, unaware of the grossly inflated prices and misleading packaging (they bought 2 craptacular netbooks that are worth $100 market for $200). Antiquated operating systems that were too slow to run flash, youtube, etc. making these supposedly kid-friendly products useless. Windows CE 6.0 and Internet Explorer 6 for that OS, a combination which can't display anything but slow-loading text.

Now we are in Denmark and can't return it (and if our experience can be predicted by the above reviews, we wouldn't have had much luck anyway). Christmas is a few days away and now are scrambling to find replacements gifts for the kids!

Predatory merchant!! Steer clear!!

• Dr
      29th of Aug, 2014

Multy Electronics Inc. $299 became $1077.81 for a Go Pro White Edition - All Sales Final - No Refunds!! Used and Abused!!! New York New York

I see many complaints at various places dating way back concerning 'Multy Electronics Inc.' Any reason why they are still allowed to rip off hard working, law abiding citizens, especially from other countries??

My wife and I had a day off after a business trip when we decided to go out and buy a few items for our kids and grand kids before we flew back to Africa. We were on our way to Macy's when I saw 'Multy Electronics Inc'. I asked my wife if we could just go in and check their prices for a 'Go Pro' Camera for our youngest son who is incredibly interested in movie making and is extremely creative. Coming from Africa, I figured I might get a better deal in the U.S.A.

I was 'window shopping' when a gentleman invited me in to 'look around' and asked what I was interested in. I said a 'Go Pro' camera for my youngest. He took two off the rack and told me that 'this' was the latest one. I asked which one...? Both boxes had at least 'three different' prices on, so I asked which was the correct price? The communication was vague, but centred in principle on the one costing almost $1000 and the other around $499 ... but that he could bring the price down. I explained to the representative, (I assume), that this was too expensive and was about to leave.

He then explained to me that he can give me the one for $299 ... and was cheaper than the 'black one' because it didn't have 'wi fi' and some other features ... not being an expert on 'wi fi' devices 'non wifi' and a lot of talk which I did not understand, $299 seemed like a reasonable price for a 'go pro' camera and due to time, I could afford that for our son. The gentleman proceeded to tell me that I would need to buy a 'memory stick'. I figured that wouldn't be a problem and said yes please and also asked if he had a little tripod as my youngest child loves to make little lego movies. He said sure and I said he could add that and to please give me a mac charger as well as I had left my charger at my previous hotel. In my mind I didn't think it could be more than $100??

I gave my wife our card to proceed making payment while I was discussing lenses for Nikon cameras ... another gentleman had entered in from the back to attend to my wife and payment of said goods. While looking at the lenses, my wife came over with the goods. I asked her for the receipt and card and she realised that it had not been given back to her. We asked for the card back as well as for the receipt, they apologised and handed them over. I nearly fell on my back! I said "honey, something is wrong". The approved amount on the receipt... $1077.81 ...????

I asked the gentleman how did $299 become $1077.81?? He said it was the 'extras' we had requested!!?? I said this is ridiculous and that I was being ripped off. They had also added in a battery for good measure, which was not requested, neither needed, as the 'Go Pro' comes with a battery? I was furious to say the least, but realised it was too late when the receipt states clearly, 'All Sales Final' and 'No Refunds'.

What does one do?? I was furious at the way these people had 'ripped us off', and outside of taking matters into my own hands, there was nothing we could do but leave. To say we felt violated was an understatement - we had been robbed in broad daylight and there was no one we could turn to. It is just such establishments that are giving the good people of America a bad name. What amazes me is that they have been doing this for years? What are we supposed to do??

Upon getting back to the hotel room, I googled the 'Go Pro' Camera I had purchased and discovered it was a 'white one' selling in good stores for $199 ... a $199 'Go Pro' white, plus little tripod, plus memory stick, plus mac charger, plus battery = $1077.81 ...

AVOID,