MultiChoice Africa / DSTVdstv insurance

Lightning hit my house and my explora was damaged. That was Saturday 21 Jan.

I Took it in to my dstv branch in Middelburg on Monday morning. I explained what happened, stated that I had insurance on the machine and asked what would happen next?
They took my machine and asked me to come back later for my “new machine”, because it would take some time to set up the new machine.
I got the replacement machine later that day. The machine did not work when i plugged it in at home. It was late and we left it till the next day.

After work on Tuesday night, I paid a technician R1500.00 to help me. We found that the power cable was also damaged. We phoned the local dstv office owner, who sold us a new power cable for R350.00
After everything was plugged in, the technician still struggled for over an hour to get the machine working. Eventually there was display, and we could watch tv that night.

Wednesday morning the dstv was dead again. I took the decoder to the dstv agent, they tested it, and said that the machine was in working condition.
Wednesday after work i phoned the Custumer Care line and after a while they got it working and we could watch tv that night.

Thursday morning it was dead again... after work that evening I phoned the Custumer Care line and after a while they got it working and we could watch tv that night.

Friday morning it was dead again... after work that evening I phoned the Custumer Care line and after a while they got it working and we could watch tv that night.

Saturday morning when it was dead again, i took it back to the dstv office.

Then they told me that even though I have insurance, dstv does not give you a new machine, they give out Re-furbished machines. And they will keep on giving me a refurbished machine until I find one that works. Doesn’t that sound ridiculous???
So I asked them to give me a letter for my House insurance, then I can claim a new machine from them. No sorry... they don’t give letters for insurance purposes...

The dstv agent had no other solution than coming back repeatedly until I find one that works, so I also got another re-furbished machine on Saturday which is also broken…
I cannot even take the machine back now, because they don’t have any other machines to give me, I have to wait until Wednesday when they will have a new machine for me to try out.

So I am paying my full dstv premium this month, I pay almost R140.00 for insurance via dstv… I pay house insurance… and I can’t watch TV for almost 10 days now, how does that work??!

Realdi van Rooyen