MTD Lawn Mowers / Avoid all products produced by MTD!

United States Review updated:
I currently have a Troybuilt selfpropeled walk behind mower that is less than 2 years old. My problem began 6 months in to my ownership of my Troybuilt mower starting with the selfpropeled unit some time working and other times not. I felt assured that what ever the problem was, it could be addressed next spring at the service center during its preseason tune up and be covered by Troybuilts 2 year warranty. I had my local mower shop pick up my mower for its preseason tune up and asked that they check and see what could be the problem with the selfpropeled pulling part of my mower. The Service Tec called to inform me that due to a bad design under the mower deck, that my mower had built up grass clippings in a belt cover and had destroyed my rear wheel selfpropeled operation and that MTD would not stand behind their 2 year warranty. I asked him if this was something i would be able to do on a regular basis my self and he responded that if I could remove the cutting blade, blade adapter, and deck cover consisting of 8 to 10 bolts then yes I could. So I ascertained that the average person would not and could not do this on their own with out some form of training, so why does MTD not want to step up to the plate and cover this repair.

I would warn anyone considering a purchase of a mower to avoid all products produced by MTD as they only find fault with customers and not their defective products!!!

A  2nd of Aug, 2007 by
I purchased a Cub Cadet (made by MTD), this spring. The model is i1050 and cost just under $4000.00. Customer service is a night mare, here is my story:

Stay Away!!! I have had mine for about 3 months. I cannot turn left. The right transmission does not work. If I use my e brake and then disengage and try to drive the right transmission will lock up solid leaving the left wheel spinning. It is at the shop again! The E brake is very difficult to use and will not stay on if the motor is running, the vibrations knock it off. My wife and son are unable to engage the e brake as well as the employee who loaded the mower into my trailer. Mine came from the dealer with many loose or missing bolts. The wire for the pressure switch on the seat is also the washer for the pivot and will only last about 10 hours. The tires are very thin, I was getting flat tires every time I mowed. That was solved by tire slime. My left axle was bent, and replaced by the factory. I cannot go up a grade (unloaded) that my 2004 Craftsman 5000 could do with a trailer full of firewood. I cannot pull my lawn sweeper with more than 5" of grass in it. When I am driving, it sounds like tin cans are bouncing around inside the transmission.

The worst part is that Cub Cadet doesn’t seem to care. All complaints must be submitted in writing (been doing that). I have spent many many hours on the phone trying to talk to people. The say that I need to go through my dealer, he is their customer service. My dealer says he cannot get them to replace it or refund me, he wishes me luck. He is now talking about trying to get cub to replace the one tranny, I am concerned about the other tranny getting week from overcompensating. I have dealt with these problems since new and wanted to wait until winter to get them fixed, unfortunately they kept getting worse. It is in the shop now for the 3rd time in 6 weeks. Since I bought this tractor I have put 41 hours on it and put 150+ hours on my father-in-laws mower.

I challenge you to call cub cadet and try finding their customer service before you ever buy any of their products.
A  17th of Sep, 2008 by
The transmission in my 42 inch. ride on had a problem when the transmission was pulled apart there was no grease in one side.
N  11th of Apr, 2009 by
MTD - Machines That Die! Trouble is they control aboutall of the riding mowers made anymore, they are junk, 3 transmissions in my mower and now another is needing to be replaced. The big problem is the supid thing is American made, MTD is a company I hope to see fail like enron maybe! Workers do not care they make pure junk.