M&T Bank / Poor customer service and business practices

M&T Bank
4168 Union Road
Cheektowaga NY
Went into M&T bank on a Friday morning with a balance of -$22.00 (including an overdraft fee). Rep explained the fee to me, seemed legit (as legitimate as a $37 fee can be anyway). I asked her "If I make a deposit today, will there be any further overdraft fees on my account?" To which she responded (after checking a few things on her computer) "No, you will be fine if you make a deposit now, just make sure it is cash so it will clear in time." I thanked her, and immediately made a deposit of $260 (as further confirmation, the teller made sure that I was aware my account was overdrawn, I replied "yes I'm aware, the customer service rep told me that if I make a deposit now there won't be any further fees", to which she responded "thats a good idea"). I checked my balance online Saturday evening and noticed that there was an additional $37 overdraft fee.
I stopped by the bank again on Monday morning and talked to the exact same representative, explaining that I was in on Friday inquiring about an overdraft fee, and she admitted that she recognized me. After reminding her of our conversation, she seemed confused and responded: "hmm... I wouldn't have said that, because there was still another fee pending..." She then asks me if I would like the fee waived, I replied yes. She verifies my phone number, and says she will call me.
I receive a call about an hour later, she states that this bank location can't waive overdraft fees for me and I will have to call the Airport Plaza location where I opened the account. I call here, explaining the situation to another rep, who tells me a manager will call me back. The manager at the Airport plaza branch calls back and informs me that despite the other rep making a "bank error" they will not waive the fee, because they had waived fees earlier that year. I told her that I did not feel this was pertinent to the situation at hand and explained that I felt I was lied to, and suggested she contact the other rep herself to clear things up, she agreed to do so.
The manager again calls back and tells me that the other rep has no recollection of our conversation at all (odd considering she told me she recognized me at first). She then proceeds to berate me like a child, telling me that ultimately I am responsible for keeping track of my own funds and that they would waive the fee this time as a courtesy, but no future overdraft fees would be waived, to which I responded that ultimately it is the bank's responsibility to stand behind its employees and take responsibility when they give out false information to their customers - she responded again that she was not part of this conversation, and that the other rep had no recollection of it either. So rather than the apology that I should I have received for being lied to I was instead talked down to by the manager of the bank. Needless to say I'm closing my account this week.

A  14th of Jun, 2009 by
I know with M&T they require a certain amount of funds to hold within your checking account, i.e., if your balance is less than $500 per month, and for the 'select checking', those hideous fees will be added that includes surcharges, over-draft fees, anything under the sun. Your best bet is to look around a local bank in Buffalo, one that has a reputation of catering to their customers...like First Niagara or any that holds a local chain. I'm becoming leary with M&T since they bought out a local chain (Partners Trust) and I had no problems with their policies, and I have kept a minimum of $25.00 in my checking with NO PROBLEM. Once these corporate banks start to buy out and take over these mom and pop banks, everything is run by greed and no respect.
N  5th of Oct, 2009 by
M&T Bank has charged my account $1, 339.00 in NSF fees since they took over Provident Banks in May of this year. $703.00 in fees within the last 30 days. My checking account balance was never negative during this time. Some of the $37 were on debit purchases for less than $10.

M&T Bank Corporation Logo M&T Bank Corporation