MSN.com / MSN Encarta difficult cancellation process

The following is a complaint about MSN.com and the difficult cancellation process. This should be investigated. In June of 2006 I subscribed to MSN Encarta which is found on MSN.com, within couple of days I found out it was not worth the $4.95 per month for the information that was widely available for free on the internet so I decided to cancel the subscription, for days I tried to find the way to cancel it on by logging on to my account and ......good luck, The site is designed so you cannot cancel the account, I waited till I received my credit card bill, sure enough I was being charged after requesting the cancellation. I gave them another month, again, I was charged, so I tried to call the toll free # on my bank statement, I was connected to someone in Manila in The Philippines, bad connection, hard to understand customer service rep. And no luck getting anyone who could give an answer as to why my account is not cancelled. After 35 minutes on the phone and three different reps. I was finally connected to someone in the US whom I could understand, I had to ask her few times and finally get upset with her in order to get her to cancel my account, when I asked about credit back since my first request for cancellation, she replied, uh... those requests don't cancel your subscription, after your request you receive an e-mail and a form to fill out and submit for review before the account is cancelled. I said I never received anything other wise I would have responded and I went on to say that I will fill complaints against MSN wherever possible due to their tricky web site and the runaround you get when you decide to cancel, she admitted that is the case and everyone complains about it. I requested a confirmation sent to my e-mail address which she said is impossible, I insisted and told her I will not hang the phone up until you tell me I will receive a confirmation, She told me she is going to speak to a supervisor, after about 8 minutes she returned and assured me that I will receive the e-mail with 24 hours, That was 3 days ago. I have yet to see the confirmation, as a precaution, I'm canceling my credit card so MSN does not charge me again. I thought I bring this to your attention, perhaps you want to Subscribe to MSN and try to cancel it......... Utility companies always used similar tricks, they offer a low price feature some times a month or two free then they start charging you, most people don't even notice that but if the company has a Million customers a $4.95 subscription a month adds up to 4.95 Million Dollars.........I think MSN is following the path.

Ar

Comments

• Jc
      3rd of Apr, 2007

I completely agree accept my problem is with MSN Games and Gamespring. The cancellation is a process where you go round and round and round. No way to email them, no phone numbers. I finally found a form for Windows Live and have tried contacting them through it but of course no luck. I guess this company makes their money off of the time it takes to finally get something cancelled. Hopefully I can file a complaint with my credit card company so they can't charge it any longer.

• Ce
      11th of Mar, 2009

I have tried three times to cancell Encarta. A few months ago I thought I had succeeded and just received an e-mail from MSN telling me that my subscription is to be renewed... (??!!) All this time, I thought I was not to worry about the automatic $29.95 they slap on my credit card each year.

31st of Mar, 2009
    MSN.com - Fraud Avertisment
    MSN .com

MSN supports the online scam ------AcaiBurn and Acai Berry Detox free trails and makes a lot of people being fraud by these free trails. MSN.com should not be trusted.

• Je
      22nd of Dec, 2009

today is Dec 22, 09. I have been trying to cancel an old subscription to msn.com that I allowed my step-daughter and her husband to charge too my credit card back when they lived with me. Online cancellation proved impossible, so I contacted the company via telephone back around Thanksgiving. At the time I did not have the correct data, so I was promised that they (msn.com) were going to send me the appropriate paperwork to get it done. Since then, I found all the passwords, names and secret questions to finish off the cancellation. I called again, got someone in India I believe, verbally submitted the required information, only to be again informed that the appropriate paperwork was sent on 01Dec09, and that it would arrive within 10 to 12 working days. Too date, I have received absolutely nothing, and you guessed it...the parasites are still hitting up my credit card! My experience with them makes me doubt that i will ever own another microsoft product as long as I live.

• Do
      27th of Sep, 2011
    MSN.com - Stay away from this one
    Msn.com
    msn.com

Lame ads fill the site junkware, malware follows as does adware adware adware, dont believe me CHEWCK YOUR COOKIES AS TO ALL THE CRAPOHLA SITES MSN GUIDES OR SUPPORTS, CLICKNET.COM NOW FRIGGIN WAY!