Mr. Rooter- Washington County, PA / Unethical Practices/Terrible Customer Service

1 PA, United States Review updated:

My hot water heater went bad and I called this Mr. Rooter. The tech gave me the price for a new hot water heater and said that I also had to have an expansion tank installed because it was a government code and required. It was an extra $220. I questioned him specifically and he said that it wasn't an option for me- he HAD to install the expansion tank to be in compliance- so I trusted him and agreed for him to install everything. The next day I spoke to a realtor friend who sold the townhouse two doors down. She said that all they put in is a hot water heater- not an expansion tank. I was confused, because I was told it was a government code. I called two competitors of Mr. Rooter who both told me that expansion tanks are recommended, but not mandated. I was so upset. I called Mr. Rooter to speak to a manager (the day after all this happened). All in all, I must have left at least 8 messages over the course of two weeks before I got a return call from a manager who said that he didn't know whether it was a mandate or not- and how should he know? I said- if your people are saying that it is, and you are their boss, shouldn't you be up on that? I said I wanted everything removed and he said no, they would just take out the expansion tank. I said I wanted it all out and he said no. I got in touch with their corporate office in TX who said the local owner would contact me and work this out. He called me once, I called him back once...we each got voicemails. I called him again the next day and he answered and said he was at his child's pediatrician and that he would call back. He didn't. I left three more messages, no return call. I filed it with the Pittsburgh BBB who sent a letter and got no response, so they forwarded the complaint to the Texas BBB. Their reply was a letter that had a diagram of an expansion tank and what it was used for...they refuse to get that I WAS LIED TO IN ORDER TO INCREASE THE SALE! That is unacceptable! Give me a choice- don't tell me that I have no choice, when in fact I did! Consumer Beware when you deal with this company. They lie, they don't return calls after the sale and they do not resolve disputes or complaints in a fair manner.

Comments

• Ji
      14th of Feb, 2011

Total lies mr Rooter is an upstanding company and any plumber knows there should be an expanison tank installed in fact it code according to international Plumbing code expecially if you have a check valve on your water system. You should check IPC 2009 section 607.3 and read before bashing a company. Also wouldn't recommend plumbing advice from a realtor. 10 people doing something wrong Dosnt make it right.I put your heater in and the expansion tank. If you look to the left of your meter you will see your check valve. If you and you realtor and realtors plumber were to check section 607.3.2 you will see international plumbing code has a section just for your scenerio.

14th of Feb, 2011

isn't it amazing that i am finally hearing back from someone at mr. rooter, even though it is six months later? The point is, I was told it was mandatory and it isn't. It is not code in my county and I called your competitors, not a realtor who told me such. If anyone from your upstanding company made an effort to try to resolve the issue instead of ignoring me- the customer- after I made at least a dozen phone calls to you, your home office in Texas and your owner, it wouldn't have come to this.

• Ji
      15th of Feb, 2011

Man as I previously stated it is code. It is code in your county. You have been misinformed by other individuals. International code is just what it says...international. washington co. Does not fall under its own special area of non exhistance. If you choose not to beleive me that's your choice. I have provided you with exact reference to the code that does apply to your county as well as every other in the country. As I said 10 people that do something wrong does not mean its correct. You should possably consider spending 100 and buyingyourself a IPC code book. As far as taking 6 months...I stumbled upon this site and upon reading your complaint thought it only fair to my company to show that we were correct and only following what we are trained to do in plumbing school and abide by rules and set regulations.

15th of Feb, 2011

I have a better idea..why don't YOU invest in the code book and give it to your supervisor. He had absolutely no idea what the codes were..in fact, his exact words were "how would I know what the code is?" It would be better to educate your own people that do this every day.
    Perhaps a customer service handbook would be in order too.