Movie Gallery / Account sent to collections

1 597 Whitman St Orangeburg, SC 29115, SC, United States Review updated:
Phone: N/A

Movie Gallery sent an account to collections which has posted to my credit report this month. This negative collection of $99 has dropped my credit score by almost 100 points. I have never been notified that I owed any money to this company. I haven't even rented a movie from Movie Gallery in over a year. I was mortified by this and have sent a dispute to experian. I am waiting for the results to see if this can be removed from my report. I'm curious if this has happened to anyone else as well?

Comments

• Cm
      Nov 27, 2010

Did you take the movie back ?

Nov 27, 2010

Any movies I rented were taken back. I only went there like twice. It just strikes me odd that this company filed for bankruptcy this year and has now gone out of business. I feel like this is an attempt to collect money from previous customers. How can they send an account to collections without even notifying the customer by phone or in the mail?

Nov 29, 2010

Movie Gallery sent this account to National Credit Solutions. I contacted them this morning and the rep told me that I rented the movie 12 Rounds in August 2009. They cannot tell me if it was returned late or not returned at all. The rep stated that they never contacted me about it and she knew this for sure. They had my correct address and phone number but never contacted me about this collection. She stated South Carolina laws allow them to NOT contact debtors at all! National Credit Solutions is not contacting anyone with these Movie Gallery accounts at all so the only way to find out if you have an account in collections with them is to check your credit report. The rep also stated that I'm being charged the full price of the movie, which is $99.28. Please correct me if I'm wrong but there is no way in hell one movie costs that much money??? The rep said that if I pay the amount owed then they will delete the account off my credit report and credit back the 76 points they took off my credit score. They cannot provide me with any proof of this movie. Only suggested that every friday they send accounts to have more points deducted from their credit score. She could not tell me if my account would be sent, that it just depends. If you have this situation, DO NOT PAY THEM! I contacted the South Carolina Department of Consumer Affairs and they suggested that I file a complaint with National Credit Solutions in addition to filing a dispute with Experian. I'm also in the process of speaking with a lawyer about my rights. I suggest that if you have this same situation to look at ALL your legal options before you pay them!

• Ba
      Dec 06, 2010

I had almost the same experience with Movie Gallery.. $111.00 for a late fee!!! On a game I returned. I never was notified of anything being amiss. I got an alert from Privacy Guard. I believe this is a money making sceme. I have never had anything derogatory on my credit. I filed a dispute with Experian. I am furious and will be contacting the Alabama Board of Consumer Affairs.

Dec 12, 2010
    Movie Gallery - fraud
    Movie Gallery
    Missouri

Movie Gallery has sent my account to collections and wants over $100...I haven't rented a movie from them since July and they are all out of business.

Dec 12, 2010

The same thing is happening to me exactly. I just got a credit report done and it says that I owe over $100 to Movie Gallery through the same collections agency. I haven't even been near a Movie Gallery since July and all of them are closed down. I never even had any late charges through them before. I haven't recieved anything from the collectors saying that I owe anything.

Dec 15, 2010

I just heard back from Experian and they have removed the NCS account from my credit report! My credit score has gone back to what it was as well. I don't have to pay NCS anything and its no long on my credit report. Maybe you all should dispute your credit report as well.

• Er
      Dec 15, 2010

Same story for myself. What do seenmeg and Keri, what did you put in your dispute with experian?

Dec 15, 2010

I did my dispute online with Experian and basically it asked me to choose from a drop down box why I was disputing it. I chose no knowledge of account and then gave a brief explanation of about 50 words

•   Dec 16, 2010

Same story here ...Just contacted the FTC and TN Consumer Protection. Also, just finished my Experian Dispute, which was quite biref...I guess they will contact me with questions? Keri?

Thanks!
    SC

• Wo
      Dec 17, 2010

Same thing happened to me. I had perfect credit ...never had a late payment in my life. In 5mins these scam artists caused my credit score to drop nearly 100points. They messed with the wrong person. I dont owe this debt and have hired a lawyer. Turns out they have been sued plenty of times by innocent people just like us and LOST. They think they have found a loop hole in our system. We will see what happens in the end. They are really pathetic in their tactics. They are counting on people to just pay the bill. They act like they are here to help you ...all an ACT to politely bully people into paying them. See you in court NCS. By the way they monitor the Blogs, Complaint Boards and write in to encourage people to pay their debts. Do they really think we are that stupid. Everyone who had been bitten by NCS...sue them!

•   Dec 17, 2010

Did Experian Contact you for details?
    How long did the Experian review take?

•   Dec 17, 2010

For Other Joining:
    I researched this on the Internet and found we are not alone. See Below----

ALSO:
    Go Here and Create a Debt Validation Letter. Learn about your rights and send a letter to NCS using the template VIA certified Mail Immediately. http://www.creditinfocenter.com/forms/sampleletter9.shtml
    or http://aaacreditguide.com/credit-repair-letters/validation-letters/
    Read This and Know Your Rights: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre27.pdf and http://www.creditinfocenter.com/rebuild/debt_validation.shtml
    Call Experian and DISPUTE THE ERROR: 1-866-853-0303 IMMEDIATELY
    Call The Federal Trade Commission and file a complaint: 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357)
    File A complaint with your State Attorney general or Consumer Affairs Office.
    Lastly- File A Complaint with the Oklahoma Better Business Bureau

Hope This Helps,
    C

• Ha
      Dec 24, 2010

I have the same problem. I paid and cleared all my balance on March 2009, and never rented a movie ever since. Apparently, Movie Gallery sent my account info to a collection agency (National Credit Solutions) who claims that I owe them $91. They want a receipt that I paid my late fee on March 2009. I think that lost that receipt when I moved in last summer, and who would keep a movie rental receipt 21 month ago? Also, if they have some issues, they should have let customers know without waiting for 21 months. Convient for them, Movie Galler is out of business, so I can't check my record with them. I will write a letter to newspapers and TV.

• Wh
      Dec 25, 2010

My parents were both billed separately for movies over $100. I'm waiting for my brother and I to be billed next. They think that they can get away with this and use the money they are stealing from former customers to get out of debt. Well I agree with you all they messed with the wrong people. They think that $100 here and there no one will even care to do anything about it. Yeah right try $6.3-$12 million dollars is Movie Galleries goal. That's how much they're trying to get from the innocent people. This is pure Fraud. I had an immediate family member work for movie gallery and he said he had to pay every month for his check because Movie Gallery would not write him a check or give him direct deposit. Really... they will not get away with this at all. Not only will I sue for the money my parents apparently owe... but I will sue for all the court fee's lawyers fees, etc they'll be in even more debt then they could ever imagine. Whoever set up this system and sent it to NCS have fun because you're going to eventually go to jail. You just bit the hands that fed you. Greedy ###.

• Ha
      Jan 05, 2011

Finally, Experian removed the National Credit Solutions (Movie Gallery) from my credit report. Please contact Experian if you have a problem with NCS and Movie Gallery.

• So
      Jan 07, 2011

The same thing has happened to me too. This has created so much upset and work on my part to get this resoloved with NCS and all three credit reporting companies. Early this summer after our local Movie Gallery closed it's door, I received a statement from them allegingin I owed $ 17.21. This was completely untrue but to save a long dispute I PAID them by check. It cleared my bank and I wrongly assumed it was over with. This past December 2010 I received a letter from NCS telling me that the alledged debt from Movie Gallery was now owned by them and placed in collection. Due to fees, service charges, etc. I now owed them $152.00. This is completely untrue!!

In addition to contacting the BBB both is Missouri and Oklahoma and contacting the state Attorney general in both states, I sent certified letters to NCS and Movie Gallery disputing this charge. I also contacted all credit bureaus disputing the charge. I am waiting for a response.
    For anyone that is looking for Movie Galleries current address here it is: PO Box 6789, Wilsonville, Oregon 97070. This was given to me by the BBB. Hope it helps.

• Dl
      Feb 16, 2011

Same thing happened to me!! I disputed it with ncs and I just received a letter from them stating "NCS is remitting this file back to our client for their further review. NCS is ceasing to collect on this account and we are closing this account with our office. Additionally, we will request an update to your credit bureaus"
    This sounds great, but how do I contact "their" client, which I assume is/was Movie Gallery??

•   Feb 28, 2011

Hi Dlittle,
    Actually, their client is not movie gallery, it is some investor who bought the movie gallery debt for pennies on the dollar trying to make a quick easy buck...You may have to petition NCS for the client name. Not really worth it.

C