Movie Facts, Inc. / Complaint about an unauthorized charge and their refusal to remove it

1 Des Maines IllinoisIL, United States Review updated:

I also had a very bad experience with Movie Facts, Inc. I have never experienced this level of unprofessionalism and am filing a complaint in Illinois. I too received two calls, the first from a gentleman who said my business could get four months of advertisment from Movie Facts for $40 per month. I thought this was a good price and agreed. After I received my invoice, I noticed that the advertisment charge was more than the agreed $160. After contacting Movie Facts, I was informed that a $55 set up charge had been included. I told the lady I did not authorize this additional charge and that it should be removed. The lady refused to remove the charge. Then she said she had a recorded conversation with me saying I agreed to the additional charge. It turns out that during the second soliciting call I received- this one recorded- the lady added a charge that the first solicitor did not tell me about. I missed it because of how fast she was talking. I also had no reason to believe that Movie Facts would change the terms of my original agreement. Although I have told Movie Facts that I will not pay the unauthorized charge, they continue to send harrassing invoices threatening to add late fees.
Perhaps many businesses do give in and pay, but this one will not. It is about principle and businesses doing what is right. When enough consumers complain, maybe they will clean up their business practices.

Comments

9th of Jul, 2009

We have had the same problem. Verbal agreement over the phone - when paper work came it was different than what they said on the phone. Plus, they said they would send a proof of the add and they did not. We have had numerous harrassing calls and threats of attorneys. I told them to go ahead. We didn't sign anything.

• Re
      5th of Mar, 2011

I currently work for movie facts in Des Plaines, IL not Des Maines, IL so maybe the problem is that you just don't listen to detail. Our company does advertising at a low rate to help business owners get theire name out to bring in business during these tough economic times. And once the sales rep speaks with you and you agree we then send it through verification were they fully explain the total and cost, I love after all the years of being in business we have just one complaint!!! So maybe you should listen more carefully and take the time to make sure you know how much your paying for advertising. I mean you don't even know the name of the city in which your hiring a company to advertise for you. Obviously you needed the advertising to bring in more customers, but after hearing this comment I think you dont need advertising but you need to listen to your customers and not just blame everyone for not being able to pay your bills!!!

• Gr
      11th of Apr, 2011

Just one complaint? Are you kidding? Do a Google search on your company and add scam behind it. I bet there is more than 1!! Movie Facts sucks! They have done the same thing to me and my company!! I did listen carefully! They wont be getting a dime from me as well! They claimed that my add was in the Movie facts book at the theater and my kids go to the movies with their friends all the time so I have a chance to see the book or flyer or whatever it is because I have never seen one nor has the managers of the theater. I am tired of the harassing phone calls over 460.00 but im not paying it. This company is trying to nitpick all the small companies out of almost 500 bucks. Imagine if they did that to just 10, 000 companies in the us. That would be almost 5 million bucks. So what if some of us dont pay they still make millions!

• At
      29th of May, 2011

I have been advertising with Movie Facts and have not had any issues. Everything they said, they promised. In addition, every month they send me a copy of the flyer with my invoice and my customers that go to the movies, have seen the flyer with my ad. My customer services representative is awesome!

• Ra
      9th of Sep, 2011

At Movie Facts they use felons to sell the ad space at any price, no set price so they'll scar you for anything they can get. They have crack cocaine users selling you this stuff, they try to confuse bust business owners & managers it's all about the commission & cash bonuses. They see business owners as meat to be devoured. They have no respect for their customers & feel take their money any way they can. Don't use Movie Facts, even they know their ad space is worthless, they just don't want you to know.

• Do
      16th of Dec, 2011

This is a horrible company to work with! Their ads are overpriced and I have not gotten any responses in the 2 months so far I have had the ad. I know all ads don't get calls, but then I called others who have ads in the same month my ads are in, and guess what? Most of them have never received even one call! There is a real problem with this way of advertising, and they just keep finding people who don't realize that this is a ripoff! I tried to get my ads cancelled after just 2 weeks and they would not work with me at all. I am on disability and I thought I would get some business from the ad, all I got was more expenses. I still don't know if I should pay them or not. I am sick about this. We need a class action suit against them!

• 10
      19th of Mar, 2012

I got a call from Movie Facts offering the 4 months for $40 a month and after a bit of conversation I agreed. I just got a call from a lady there asking why I had not paid the last $80 and I said I was under the impression It was for four months. She said since I didn't call them I was responsible until May. She said I agreed on the phone and it was recorded. The salesman I spoke with said if you don't want to continue after four months don't re-up and we will part friends. Anyway I listen to the tape and about halfway through it says if I don't call to renew before the four months is up we can't be responsible for the add not appearing in the brochure. Then right at the end she says if you don't call us before January 1st your add will be rerun. So when the girl gets back on the phone she asks if I heard it. I said yes but she contradicted herself by saying I had to call to get it rerun. She then plays the end again and asks if I heard that. I said yes but that is not the part I am talking about. I ask her to rewind it halfway and she said we never said that and wouldn't rewind it. She then said I agreed to it and have to pay for the additional 4 months and that they would cancel it. I guess I did agree to that but I also agreed to not have it run again If I didn't call to renew. I did not receive one call from this add so had no intention of renewing so I guess I will have to wait and see. They indeed suck and are for all purposes are pretty useless.

• Ha
      18th of Jul, 2012

If this company calls you, hang up imediately!! Save yourself alot of trouble.

• Sh
      31st of Aug, 2012

Excuse me, is there some sort of advertising that you can do that will guarantee you a response? If so please clue me in because I need to get with them. But I guess you probably won't respond to this post because you will sound just as dumb as you probably look.! I work for this company too, and we do EVERYTHING that we say we will do. It is not our fault that you do not advertise enough or the fact that YOUR SERVICES are too worthless for you to get the right amount of customers. We sell the same concept as everybody else. You don't see Mc Donalds on here complaining, Why? Because they advertise enough to know this is about name recognition. Nothing else! Maybe if you tried it enough you would be a little satisfied. But you probably won't and with that attitude, your business will most likely crash and burn dumb ###!!! And for you lame ### ex employees, your only talking about your self. You just mad that your not a part of the family anymore. You know damn well you call up top every chance you get trying to get your job back. Guess what????? You are the weakest link! GOOD BYE!!

12th of Dec, 2013

If Movie Facts is so good for everybody, then why over the years have most, and I mean most of the major theatre chains (Regal, United Artist, Carmike, AMC, General Cinemas, Edwards and a host of others stop doing business with Movie Facts? The reason, Movie Facts SUCKS, plain and simple, end of story.

16th of Dec, 2013

I was told over the phone by one of their slick talkers that I would have a an advertising in the booklet for "The Little Theater: in Venice. I was thrilled because this is an upscale area on the Island. Then the bill came and it was for Frank's movie theater in a cheap side of town.
    I protested before the booklet was printed, they called me back after it was printed and refused to cancel my order!
    My company is small and I can't waste advertising dollars. If one of my clients wanted to cancel, I would do it. It is simple good business practice!
    SHAME ON THEM!

• Ha
      24th of Oct, 2014

Movie Craps Inc is theeeee worst company that I have ever worked for in my life! The majority of employees here are convicted Felons, as well as drug addicts. If you are a person that has morals and scruples, if you do not have 1, 182 tattoos all over your body, and if you don't have a funny story to tell the management about your time in prison-management LOVES FELONS, than do yourself a favor and forget about applying to this company. May God help you if you show any signs of intelligence as well as values, because these are traits that upper management cannot stand nor tolerate in a person, trust me, I was miserable here for over a year. The horrible economy is also another factor for corrupt management to grossly abuse and exploit anyone and everyone. Movie Facts will be no more in about another year, and they have noone to blame but themselves-THEIR PERSONAL GREED AND SELFISHNESS will soon terminate the existence of this company once and for all!!! Karma is a ###: what goes around comes around.

• De
      7th of Jan, 2015

It seems as though we all have the same complaint. I just got off the phone with a woman there, she played back the recording where I agreed to all of the terms, no problem... When I asked her to play me the recording of the call where I asked to cancel my contract? "We don't record all calls, that wouldn't be cost effective for us." Of course not, because what is cost effective is them "not having note" of my cancellation request so that they can get yet another $100/month from me. She even offered to "split the cost" with me for the month that I didn't approve. My response "of course you will, because then you're still making $50 and I will get nothing out of it."

This is a total rip off. I went to the theater my ad was at and it literally took me 30+ minutes just to find the thing and when I finally did there were a ton, no one took them! Not worth the money in the least.

And for the employee comments on this thread, they clearly have some class acts working for them if that is the level of professionalism a complaint gets. Unbelievable.