Movado / Awful product

Toward the end of 2007 I purchased a Concord Watch from a Movado company store. In about a month the pin on the band fell out and I went to a Movado store in Boca Raton, FL where they took it into the rear of the store and said that it was now 'repaired'.

In early September 2008 I was at a sales conference and the pin again fell out but this time the watch fell off of my arm and fell to the hard floor breaking the crystal.

I tried to take it to there Moonachie repair facility but they refused to accept it stating that I would have to bring it to Paramus (Sep 29) where they would mail it to Moonachie. (sic?) I would receive what they called 'Quick service' with a response in a few weeks. The estimate was dated 10/16/08, which totaled $690.96. when I told them that the watch was faulty they claimed that the Paramus store had no right to fix the watch. (Like I would know that) but that they would give me a courtesy discount of 30%. This was and is unacceptable to me. When I asked about the warranty they said that it was limited and that if I wore the watch it was my responsibility.

Frankly you have to be nuts to buy from a company like that!

Va

Comments

• Ro
      4th of Sep, 2009

I agree. I would never buy a Concord watch again. Movado Group in Moonachie, NJ is the only place you can get them serviced. And you can only mail in your watch. Mailing a $2000 watch costs $30 in postage & insurance to get it there and insure it in case it gets lost.

My watch was under warranty - they sent a form stating they will fix the movement but the battery is OK. Good news, but not for nothing, I went through the hassle of getting the watch there to them, replace the battery too! It's already 3 years old. The repairs will take 20 days, not counting the 10 days they "examined" the watch.

You log onto their service web site - but you can't change the work order there, only pay for it. You have to call them to change anything. So today, Sept 4th 2009 I call them. "Sorry we are closed today, please use our web site to see your support options" GRRR. I'm steaming out my ears now. Go to the web site - hours of operation are Monday - Friday 9:00AM to 7:00PM. So Monday is Labor Day (a holiday), what does that have to do with Friday? If you're selling $2000 watches at least get a person in India to answer the phone for you!

3rd of Feb, 2011

NEVER EVER BUY ANOTHER MOVADO WATCH. I am so upset with Movado. I swear I would not by a Movado watch again and I will tell anyone who plan to by one to think twice. They offer warranty for the watch and strap replacement for 3 years. I sent my watch in for service while it's still under warranty because the Movado boutique I bought it from closed down. They said I would have to pay $350 to have my strap replaced because it's a bracelet not a strap. A strap means leather and stainless steel strap is a bracelet. Is it by any chance common knowledge? Did I miss the boat on that one? Apparently it's a fine print that I am not aware of. After a long courteous argument over the phone, I told them to just replace the battery which should be under warranty and send the watch back to me. The service rep told me it will cost me $55 for the battery and shipping back. The battery replacement is under warranty and shipment should be free for service under warranty. After another long discussion, the rep told me okay. There should be no charge for the batter and shipping. How ridiculous is this. I spent $1200 for a watch and have to deal with this stuff. They make you send your watch to them for service if you don't want the warranty void but they do nothing for you under warranty. Where's the logic?

• Os
      19th of Mar, 2012

NO MORE MOVADO, period, purchased a watch $1300, 00 in Macy's 3 years ago, Movado mnf. warranty was for 2 years, lately watch didn't keep time accurately, left it for check up, with promise that I will receive e-mail with estimate, week later, upon my phone call, was informed that watch needed maintenance (repair???) and cost for "maintenance" on watch is $ 300.00 ?. Watch was working, never abused, ladies watch, with no damage, no any impacts, falls or else, most that were needed is cleaning, this is mechanical watch, Watch that need $300.00 "cleaning service" after three years of modest ware is poor construction, low quality, my choice is to forget about it or to look for another watch repair. STAY AWAY FROM MOVADO WATCHES and MOVADO GROUP, chose other options, don't buy something that you will need to repair, discard used watch and by new one, $300.00 for barely and gently used watch paid $1300.00 is ridicules, company with a such short term business plan will end as deserved, hope it will happened soon and less customers will experience this what I have experienced .

• Ke
      2nd of Apr, 2012

My Movado Elipse was working fine but after four years i took it to my jewelry store for a battery. They could not get one of the screws out so they sent it to Movoda Service [Remember the watch was working pefectly when sent to them.] Movado informed us that the watch needed all gaskets replaced and a new movement, $280.00. I refused to pay to repair a working watch. They sent it back---- NONworking even after i paid to put a battery in it. I have since talked to two other stores who said this is pretty typical of Movado Service and is why they no longer handle Movodo. BEWARE!

• Ed
      10th of Jan, 2013

On my Movado Fiero tungsten carbide bracelet, the pin fell out. I took it to a authorized Movado service center in San Francisco which charged me approx. $200 and claimed it was fixed. I wore the watch a dozen times after that and once again the pin fell out. This time the watch hit the concrete and scratched the body of the watch. I have now sent the watch into the Moonachie, NJ center where they are requesting $500 to replace the bracelet. This is totally unacceptable. This seems like a malfunction of the bracelet and why should I have to pay for this to be replaced. I read some of the other posts and would like to know if someone has had any luck in getting this corrected on Movado's tab. Any help is appreciated. Regards. EA.

• Su
      28th of Sep, 2013

I purchased a ladies sapphire Movado 6 yrs. ago and loved the watch. It was at the repair shop in NJ 3 times. The crystal fell off, the pin fell out, and the repaired crystal fell off again. This last time they want to charge me $400 to put the crystal back on the watch. They said it needed a movement overhaul. Are you kidding me. The watch was never dropped. The crystal fell off while I put my keys in my purse. They had the nerve to me that it was abused. They do not stand behind their product. Never heard of such a well known manufacturer who doesn't care about the customer. C ya Movado. Disappointed in PA...

• Ni
      9th of May, 2014

Agree. Horrible construction. My wife and I have both had numerous problems. They offer NO service whatsoever that isn't billable. Even under warranty. I did find a 3rd party (Authorized!) repair center in Philly and in NYC, but that was little cosolation - obviously they charge too. I will NEVER buy another Movado, and will make it a point to discourage anybody that will listen from doing so either.

Nick (who doesn't like Movado products at all) in PA.