Motricity / Unauthorized charges!

Motricity charged my 86 year old father's cell phone for something called Bid4Prizes3, unsolicited and unauthorized. $9.99 charge. How do I get this fraudulent activity to STOP... Plz advise smb!

Comments

• Si
      8th of Dec, 2010

SAME happened to me with ATT...Att rep says "we allow our customers to make choices of downloading, etc..." a bunch of CRAP...they allow a company they can't even tell me how to contact, to bill my cell phone $19.99 per month with NO EXPLAINATION. The ONLY way you get money back is if you find it and catch it, in my case it's 18 PAGES of bill...The ATT rep was monotonous in only saying "we allow you to make your choices.." I DIDN"T MAKE THE CHOICE!!! I didn't allow ANYTHING!!! SHe's full of it. It's been a nightmare...this is the SECOND time this happened to me with ATT...is it oNLY ATT? if so, I'm outta here...

• Gd
      14th of Dec, 2010

It's not only AT&T. T-Mobile is also vulnerable. My 72 year old father's phone was charged too. They just send a text message "Text us a title of a song and we will send back the lyrics". Once he opened that message, MONSTROCITY (that's what I'll call them now!) charged his account with $9.99 per month. I asked the rep for T-Mobile to block these types of messages. My question is, how can they just automatically charge the client without their permission. When we want to change our plans, we have to jump through hoops to even get to a representative. This company just goes ahead and lets gullible consumers get charged for OPENING a text message. This has to be stopped.

• Gr
      26th of Jan, 2011

btw, I contacted Motricity, and they said that they only "sell the services to other companies" and that they're not at fault, but maybe one of their customers is. the way i see it, their name is on the charge, doesn't matter how, it's their responsibility.

i'm less worried about folks like me, and more about folks like my parents and grandparents. people who REALLY don't rad their phone bills and have no idea what's a legitimate charge something the fraudsters and their complicit phone company pals are counting on, i'm guessing.

• Ro
      22nd of Mar, 2011

A charge of $9.99 appeared on my T-Mobile statement showing as other Service Provide Charges for Motricity for Lobbyistalerts and showing a partial phone number of 8004166, so I contacted T-Mobile and they told me that it was some kind of subscription that I down loaded from my phone but I told T-Mobile that I only use my phone for calling and texting and that I don't even have an idea how to download anything and don't even know where to start. T-Mobile told me that they could not do anything about it, so I told them to at least give me the full phone number so I could call them and they said that they don't even have the full number either. I told them, so that means that anyone can send a charge on my bill and T-Mobile doesn't care who it is from and honors it without even knowing who sent it? This is ridiculous!!! I told them to to make it stop then and they said they would and that I would also see a credit on my next statement. I'm just courious to see if this will happen because I have complained about other similar charges on my statement and it takes several months of complaining until T-Mobile does something about it to remove these charges. I wonder if this is just a T-Mobile fake thing just to steal money from consumers, especially the ones who don't verify the charges on their statement!! Terrible T-Mobile service. No wonder AT&T is buying them.

• Le
      31st of May, 2011

I was charged twice in two minutes for textalerts from Motricity 9.99 each. I did not know this until i saw my bill. I never authorized this, i do not do any download as my phone is call and text phone only. I did call Tmobile to remove the "premium services" and the customer rep was very good about this and also ask if she should block the feature for these downloads and I said absolutely block it. It is scary that supposedly legit business perpetuate such fraud on innocent folks. I watch my bills like a hawk because of this. In the meantime, my experience with Tmobile customer support continues to be very good. I donot know how to report Motricity to the proper authorities to stop this. It seems form the email thread here they have been doing it a while and is not stopping.

• Lm
      31st of Jul, 2011

This just happened to me. I was informed by T-Mobile that Motricity has to remove the charges and in order for T-Mobile to block them it will cost me $5.oo per month. This sure sounds like they are allowing things to go through so they can make some more money. Hmm...

• Zl
      5th of Aug, 2011

This happened to me in my latest two T-Mobile bills. It is a premium service changed for using MobiTV a few minutes at midnight between 2:00 am and 3:00 am while we were all sleeping. It is totally a rip-off.

• Be
      29th of Aug, 2011

totally fraud, I was charged twice in my recent bill under my daughter's line. she never signup for any of the crap, I called motricity and told that and also the truth that my daughter is under-age and should not be authorize to do any service charges. they still refuse to cancel the charge. I called t-mobile and put block on all third-party service subscription and also international calls.

• Da
      21st of Jan, 2012

This is worse than it first appears. This is a monthly recurring charge.
    The day before Christmas, I got dinged for $9.99 (pls taxes, of course) from Silicon Investments (www.GoldPocket.com). I called AT&T and they took the charge off. The rep also informed that this was a recurring "Motricty" charge (http://www.motricity.com/). She also informed me that I could add a "Purchase Blocker" to my 3 iPhone accounts; which I did; for free.

• Je
      20th of Feb, 2012

Still fighting with T-Mobile and www.gossiptexts.com, which has charged my mobile bill $9.99 for services that I did not request. The gossiptexts came from 55033, and while they claim I had to take a PIN to their website to authorize these charges, they are not able to verify any IP address of any computer confirming these services on my behalf - blatant scam. T-Mobile said they will refund the charges, but only after holding my money in their account for 30 days. Thanks, T-Mobile. Enjoy the interest. I have reported Gossiptexts to the FCC and BBB, but there must be something else we can do? - Jeremy

• Na
      31st of Mar, 2012

To: Jeremy Tregler
    What did the FCC and the BBB say?