Mortgage Modification Service / Paid for service but lost my home to foreclososure

National Home Loan Assistance Program (NHLAP)
4445 EastGate Mall Suite 240 San Diego, Ca 92121
San Diego
Phone: 888-777-1203
We were contacted by National Home Loan Assistance Company in July of 2008. It started off as a telemarketing call where they indicated that we were already pre-qualified for a loan modification. They said that they worked closely with our bank and that we could skip the next two months payments while they modified our home. We did our research on the company and they seemed to be a solid service. The fee we paid was $2, 495. We were told that all of the negotiating would take place from their Minnesota. This made us comfortable as we live in the same state. We were asked to wire our service fee to a bank in California. In retrospect, this should have been the intial waring sign. Once paid, the communication coming from NHLAP began to drop off. In fact, when ever we called, the line was always busy or we just got dumped into voice mail. At the same time, we were receiving very threatening calls and letters from our lender. During one of our calls with the NHLAP mitigation office we were instructed to not talk to our lender or that would void our contract with NHLAP. So against our better interest, we left it up to NHLAP to resolve the problem. In November of 20008, all of the phone lines for the Minnesota mitigation office went dead. We were then told that the entire operation was moved to La Jolla, California. We were told to resend all of the documents that were originally sent to the Minnesota office to California. This seemed very strange. By now we had received a SALE DATE from our lender. Our home was to be sold on January 10th. All attemptes to get in touch with NHLAP failed. The number we were provided would just roll over to a voice mail. In desperation, i called the lender and finally made it to the foreclosure department. They mentioned that NHLAP had worked on our file, but that they had not heard from them in over 60 days, so they proceeded with the sale date.
The bank was not willing to work with me and has since sold my home. We are NOW trying to move on with our lives. We have asked NHLAP for a refund. They refuse to offer one. They claim that since we spoke with our bank, we voided our contract. Ironic and Sick! They did nothing, but because we tried to do something, we lose everthing.
When this all happened, I thought my case was an isolated event. However since then I have begun to see other complaints on [redacted].com

Please be aware of this company. They will promise to help save your home, take your money and then leave you out in the cold.

A  14th of Feb, 2009 by
Yes I agree...DO NOT GO WITH NHLAPS MORTGAGe ASSISTANCE PROGRAM THEY ARE A SCAM!!! I also lost $2, 200 to this SCAM. They contacted us back in Nov 08, said they would handle all mediation with our mortgage company and never followed thru. We were told not to speak to our mortgage company becuase we would be in breech of contract and lose our money...We tried contacting NHL and there phone numbers are not available. These scams are happening because our own mortgage companies are not offering us programs. My current mortgage company GMAC has never sent us anything in the mail of any kind telling us were behind or to offer us any help. These liars and theives are conning people by using dishonesty, and false hope to those who have no others means of reaching out. THIS NEEDS TO BE INVESTIGATED BY THE PRESS. WHAT IS THE GOVERNMENT DOING ABOUT THIS AND WHAT ARE THEY DOING FOR US THE TAX PAYERS. I WOULD TO BE CONTACTED...PLEASE POST A COMMENT ON THIS SIGHT IF YOU HAVE BEEN CONNED JUST LIKE US.