Mortgage Consultants And Real EstateVibrated Consultancy Fees

1 Review updated:

Early October 2008 I was contacted on my mobile by a gentleman who introduced himself as being the head of the Mortgage Section at Smith & Ken Real Estate Agency which was newly established at that time.

The only thing I did that day is that I had a look at their Website and it was great: http://www.smithandken.com/services/mortgage.php

He called again and again for few days and offered their great services of securing mortgages from best bank in Dubai and I ended up meeting with him in their stylish offices in Media City where all staff looks just great to say the least.

I gave him all my documents which includes solid bank statement with savings, extra high salary certificate from a mega size entity that I am working in for the last 3 years in a high position and a pre-approval from another local bank which had expired only few days ago for 5 million AED.

He immediately said "If I can not get you a better mortgage then I should not be in this industry at all" and convinced me to give him a 3, 000 AED check that was cashed the same day.

To make a long story short, my story ends by the above… Nothing happened… Nothing at all... No mortgage… They did not even contact any bank... Minimal communications via e-Mails only when I call or send inquiries.

I advise you not to fall for that and do your homework alone if you are looking for a mortgage.

Good Luck

Mortgage Consultants And Real Estate

Comments

• Ua
      Oct 04, 2009

Hello, SMith and ken give me morgage for a lovey villa in jumeirah but i pay 5000. the sales man help me and i find good morgage maybe they shoul charge peoples less but i have very good servise.

Maybe you are 1 person from 100 people who have bad dealings with smith and ken but what company you now give 100% excellent servise?

Smit and ken help me allot so i say thank you.

• Ke
      Oct 11, 2009

I feel compelled to leave a message here as I was posting another complaint on this site and stumbled across this by accident.

I recently bought a property through Smith and Ken and arranged the finance through Oxygen Home Loans. I was sceptical to do both, and being a Canadian resident had heard many horror stories abouth the process out here and wondered if it was worth it.

I was sold a property and the service by both the Smith and Ken agent and also the Oxygen agent.

I reluctantly entered into the process and can say that I have nothing but praise for the service and the advice I received. The agent found me a property exactly matching my needs and under budget. I was then happy with the mortgage approved, although the rates in the UAE are comparativly expensive, and the service offered. I was advised by Oxygen that in the current climate that the bank valaution for the property may be lower than what we need. This is exactly what happened and because we had included that in the property contract, Oxygen actually enabled me to get AED 50, 000 off the market value of the property.

A complaint I may have would be about connection Dewa and Du but cannot really fault the service from Smith and Ken.

Regards,

Keith Bentley.

• Ba
      Feb 01, 2012

smith and ken dubai real estate property smithandken.comf are just scammers

• Ra
      Nov 20, 2013

I have ben cheated by Smith and Ken by taking 5000 aed and till date they are not able to get me a morgage nor they are refunding my money, though it is clearly written in the contract that if they can not do it then my money will be refunded by them. Mr. Arran Summerhill was in the company and he kept on asking for documents which I kept on providing but at the end he left the job and now no one is listening and not even replying the mails. When ever I go there the receptionest never allow me to meet the concerened person. For me i can say with my experience that these people are real thugs and must be thrown out of the city at the earliest.

Sep 27, 2014

SMITH AND KEN IS A SCAM! If you are approached by anyone who claims to be working with Smith and Ken or S&K, I would advise you to report the incident to the police and RERA. The company is operating illegally in the UAE and is currently operating a scam. Their real estate license has been revoked by RERA earlier this year for not complying with the UAE Real Estate laws. They are still continuing to use the business name illegally and accept funds in their company name. The UAE company has no assets in it as all the funds have been shifted the Smith and Ken, company CEO Ben Smith's legit Real Estate business in Los Angeles. The UAE business is a scam but fund his real business which he started recently in the US. His business venture in the US will only last until the public, and the authorities investigate his reputation in the Middle East. If Ben Smith does not return the deposit which his agents stole from me, I will start posting the details of my complaint all over the Complaint Boards in the US so that he can not replicate his scam on American soil.

Beware of the following names in the Real Estate industry:
    Benjamin Smith Company CEO / ben.[protected]@smithandken.com
    Susanne Adam (Smith) Head of Client Services +[protected] susanne.[protected]@smithandken.com
    Rhea Malagum Head of Conveyance +[protected] rhea.[protected]@smithandken.com
    David Kodama Senior Sales Negotiator +[protected] david.[protected]@smithandken.com
    Jeremy Bentley Head of Smith and Ken Homes and Loans +[protected] jeremy.[protected]@smithandkenhomeloans.com
    Rebecca Cooper Admin Manager +[protected] rebecca.[protected]@smithandken.com

Other names to be very cautious of in the Dubai Real Estate industry are the following names which are working for Ben Smith:
    Peter Szumski
    Sean Cope
    Alex L. Smith
    Jelena Dzajic
    Inam ul Haq

These names are all associated with UAE's latest Real Estate threat and all the names above should be reported immediately if they are requesting money from you or someone you know. Report your incident to RERA and have these criminals put in prison!

Sep 27, 2014

Smith and Ken are thieves!

I have been cheated by Smith and Ken as well. The company is operating illegally in the UAE and using the name Smith and Ken and S&K and Smith and Ken Home Loans and other names to scam money from expats who come to Dubai with the idea of investing in property.

If you are contact by any of the names below, please report them to the police right away! If you or someone you know is involved in a transaction with Smith and Ken or the names below, contact RERA right away to find out if your investment is in jeopardy.

Benjamin Smith Company CEO / ben.[protected]@smithandken.com [protected]

Alex L. Smith
    Jelena Dzajic
    Inam ul Haq

Sep 27, 2014

Buyers and Sellers BEWARE!

There are several UK expats that have set up a Real Estate scam in UAE using a FAKE company called Smith and Ken. Smith and Ken was once a registered company operating in UAE but shady business practices have caused them to have their license revoked by The Real Estate Regulatory Agency. This can be verified with RERA and the Dubai Lands Department.

Company CEO Ben Smith has fled the country when the authorities caught onto his scam and he will be arrested if he ever ends up back in the UAE. He uses Susanne Adam, Jeremy Bentley, David Kodama, Rebecca Cooper and several other UK expats to continue to run their scam, right here in The UAE.

I agreed to buy a property from them in September of 2013 which "sales agent" David Kodama showed me. I agreed to buy the property but had no idea that the seller listed on the MOU was not even the real seller. The property had been repossessed by the bank during the 2008 crisis.

Jeremy Bentley from Smith and ken Home Loans charged me an additional 8, 500 AED to get me a personal loan which he was not able to get, so he gave me the contact details for a competitor who was able to get me the loan. Jeremy ended up cashing my cheque anyway which was supposed to be a deposit, which was cashable only provided the loan is approved. Jeremy claimed that this was a mistake and promised to return the deposit, but weeks later, Susanne Adams (Head of Client Services) stepped in and said the funds would not be returned because they assisted by introducing me to the bank who offered me the mortgage. The wording of the MOU were very transparent and clearly said that the deposit would be returned if the personal was not approved and RERA investigated this matter and ordered Smith and Ken to return the deposit, but my funds have still not been returned.

Susanne Adam (Smith) claimed that my MOU details were a simple mistake on their part and claim they did not realize the property had been repossessed. Once it was determined that Smith and Ken was not able to close the deal, I asked them to return my 10%, but they refused to communicate with me again. I reported the incident to Mr. Abdulla, Senior Investigator from RERA, and he ordered Susanne Adam and Rebecca Cooper to attend a meeting at RERA. They showed up the same day and it was determined that they should NOT be using the name Smith and Ken to conduct business in the UAE. It was also determined that brokers are not allowed to ask for 10% deposits in the name of the company. The 10% deposit should not be cashed until the day of the transfer. In my case, the funds sat in the broker's account where it is still currently sitting today! This is something Susanne had been warned about before and part of the reason why Smith and Ken lost their Real Estate license.

Susanne told Mr. Abdulla that Smith and Ken will return the deposits which total about 130, 000 AED, but will keep the commission for putting in the effort which was about 24, 000 AED. Mr. Abdulla determined that Smith and Ken was not entitled to keeping the commission since they did not complete the terms of the agreement and was given 48 hours to return the funds to me.

Before the payment deadline date two weeks ago, Susanne, Rebecca and David made several attempts to negotiate the total that was to be paid to me but no evidence was presented to justify keeping any of the funds. On the last day, Rebecca told Mr. Abdulla that Smith and Ken will not return my deposits.

RERA has officially given Susanne and Rebecca until Thursday of last week to pay the funds or be faced with severe consequences. I was told that this can include prison time in the UAE since several laws were broken to scam me out of my 130, 000 AED.

If my funds are returned in full, I will update my statement and admit that Smith and Ken made good on their word, but at this point, I am doubtful. Either way, I will continue to ad updates on this site and all other websites that warn the public of these people and their true motives.

I actually found the contact details for Company CEO Ben Smith who established the business in 2008. It turns out that Ben has a "legit" Real Estate business in Los Angeles called Smith and Ken. So far, his US business seems to have a positive name, but I have warned him that public forums and online customer feedback is what US businesses rely on to survive. I have given him until this coming Monday at 6pm to return the funds before I start to put out public warnings all across the US. This will include contacting the names on his LinkedIn account and feedback under his youtube interviews.

130, 000 AED might be peanuts to most property investors living in the UAE, but to this expat, this is enough money worth chasing. The fact that this money was outright "stolen" by the Smith and Ken group means that I will spend what ever time necessary to follow the names involved in this scam so they can not continue to take advantage of others no matter where they hide.

If you are approached by anyone claiming they work for Smith and Ken, do not give them money. Notify the police right away!