Morgan Propertiesscam artists

After moving into Mt. Arlington Gardens my husband received a job opportunity as a government contractor out of state. We contacted the office to find out how to break our lease. We were told our leases stated we had to pay 2 months rent as a penalty to move out. Our rental amount totaled 2250.00. We were then forced to sign a piece of paper saying we'd pay a $325.00 rerenting fee. They would not accept our 30 days notice without us signing that piece of paper. We were told by management that while we had only paid a $99.00 security deposit for us, we had paid a $300.00 deposit for our pets and they would keep the security deposits and we would not have to pay the rerenting fee. Jodi came in and did our move out inspection in which she told us the only thing we'd have to do was paint one wall back to white. Immediately following her walk through I received a letter stating because I canceled my renter's insurance I was going to be evicted if I did not show proof I reinstated my policy. I called my insurance company and was reassured that my policy had NEVER been canceled, by myself nor the actual insurance company. Then I was told I owed rent and needed to pay not only the $2250.00, but $160.00 in pet fees and $98.00 in water bills. I contacted my attorney general's office and was directed to speak to an attorney, which was provided for me, who went over my lease. The attorney stated that I was right and needed to only pay the $2250.00, but because they made me sign that piece of paper with the rerenting fee, I'd be responsible for that as well, but to allow them to keep my deposits to cover it. My husband left ahead of time and the rest of my family helped paint the wall and make sure everything was in order. Mind you, the day we handed the keys over we had only occupied the apartment for 3 months so there was not much to do. I scrubbed every corner of that apartment, including the carpets. I have pictures showing there were no damages of course. I handed in the $2250, told them to keep my deposit, and if they had any further questions or comments to put them in writing to my forwarding address and if they felt they were owed anything I wanted an itemized bill (I put this all in writing). That was in MAY. Come JULY, I receive a letter from the Morgan Properties collection department saying since the validity of my OVERDUE account has not been disputed I needed to make an immediate payment and if I didn't I'd be spent to a collection agency. I wrote a letter to the woman who sent it and informed her of the illegal move out charges, my request for an itemized bill and so on, never received a response. Then I got a call from a collection agency in August. I send the same letter back to the original signer of the letter and no response again. The collection agency stopped calling as I've informed them of what's been going on. Now I email the woman on November 11th and still no response. Had I received the bill I requested I could have disputed it then or even paid whatever it was just to be done with that company. Now I have a tarnish on my credit history all because they REFUSE to respond. The office staff at Mt. Arlington are incompetent and rude. I worked for a management company for over 8 years. I have never in my life seen such unprofessional behavior from an onsite staff or parent company!! Morgan Properties should be ASHAMED of themselves!!!

Kc

Comments

• Mo
      Nov 30, 2011

WOW! Amazing... we are going through a similiar issue with Morgan Properties... they are crooks and thieves! And they need to be reported to the BBB!!!

As I just posted on their Facebook wall:

As a former resident of one your properties in Baltimore, Maryland... I am still regretting ever living in a building owned by your company. Having moved out in May 2011, and clearing/closing our account with a $0 balance (actually, we were given a refund since we had extra money in our account)... we are now being harassed by your collection agency about a check that allegedly didn't get cashed in AUGUST 2010... over 1.5 years ago.

It amazes me that despite all of the other problems we've had with your agency (oh, if you search my name you will see many formal complaints in your system), we still can't get away from you FOLKS!

Tell me how an "audit" of our accounts showed up a check that YOUR ledgers show as cashed has suddenly gained NSF status? Tell me how such a large corporation could let a "mistake" (so you say) such as this go unnoticed for a year and a half... and then after we have moved out, closed accounts, in some cases moved out of the country... you send us a completely illegitimate letter about this "unpaid" balance?

Also, we should mention that all of the ledgers, bills, and account records show that this check was deposited and we did not owe you anything upon moving out... clearly you either are trying to scam us, or have really poor bookkeeping skills. Not to mention, your representative (E. Garner) said that YOUR OWN LEDGERS are not sufficient proof that this bill was paid? Saying that your own documentation isn't sufficient enough shows the lack of competence that just glows from your company representatives...

Or... even worse... let's talk about how this audit was allegedly completed on October 27, 2011. The letter we received was dated November 13, 2011 and demanded that we settle this debt within 10 days... hm, but wait... the LETTER WASN'T POSTMARKED UNTIL NOVEMBER 23! How absolutely absurd of you. Not to mention, this was the first letter received about this incident, however, E. Garner stated that your company has sent out 2 other letters prior to this? Really? Considering how long it took for your company to postmark this letter, I highly doubt you've sent others since this "issue" was found in October.

Your company is a fraud, and we have never been more miserable living in a place that Morgan Properties owns. I find it ridiculous that you state on this Facebook page that you are committed to excellence, when our experience has shown the complete opposite of this.

To anyone who is considering renting from a place owned by Morgan Properties, I highly encourage you to reconsider. We had problems with the apartment, and have, on several occasions, dealt with incompetent, rude, and downright disrespectful people from this company.

Or, if you do go through this company, save every single check, paper, form, and bill ever sent to you... they might harass you or try to get money out of you 10 years after you've moved out.

*****
    This company has to be the most fraudulent company I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with!!!

• Kc
      Nov 30, 2011

Ms. Garner is also the same person that sent out our notice. I just got off the phone with the collection agency and it turns out they can send me all documents pertaining to this matter. Thankfully!! At least someone has the courtesy to let me know what I am being billed for. I can't wait to see this now. I would love for them to try and say there were damages.