MorEquity/Mortage / Prepayment penalities and late fees

PO Box 3788Evansville, IN, United States Review updated:
4.55
Phone: 1-877-839-6284

My previuos home had already sold and there was a prepayment penalty clause in the contract with MorEquity. Since the home was sold I really had no choice but to pay and going back with MorEquity based on the promise of applying the penality fees to points that would reduce my interest. I did so, made another offer on a home and moved into a hotel waiting for the loan to close. What a surprise when I showed up at the signing table and the new loan had a 3 year prepayment penality. I could have said no...but we loved the new home and did not want to stay in a hotel while we started the whole process over again so we signed.

Last month my payment went up by $57.95 due to excrow fees for taxes and insurance increasing. I have the payment automatically scheduled through my bank. My job requires me to travel extensively so I dont alwaasy open my mail on time and to be honest I d not always look at the statement from MorEquity. My normal payment was made on time as it had been for the last 8 years. I got a call at work today from the collections department at MorEquity stating they have dinged my credit by reporting I missed a mortgage payment and I owe them $170 in late fees. I asked to speak to a supervisor. Unfortnately I got the same response with no willingness to work with me. The only thing I asked them to do was waive the late fee and remove the ding to my credit report. They refused.

What a shortsited company, they are willing to impose penalities over $57 that will end up costing them hundereds of thousands of dollars in interest. My prepayment is up in 6 months. I will refinance on principle just to make sure they no longer get my business.

Buyer Beware...this is one of the worst mortage comany out there.

Comments

An
  20th of Mar, 2009
I AM A CUSTOMER OF mOREQUITY. THEY ARE THE WORST BANK TO EVER DEAL WITH. uNFORTUNETLY I CAN'T GET AWAY FROM THEM..IF YOU ARE THE ONE TO HELP ME PLEASE E-MAIL ME AT abfaranna@yahoo.com. I will try and do whatever it takes to get away from MorEquity...they ruined me ..my credit i also had a pre=penalty attached to my mortg. w/out me knowing so when the going was good i couldn't sell my hyome...i could tell u many stories...Ann Faranna
Je
  28th of Nov, 2009
You are 100% right, they are forecloseing on our home after 31 years, You know A I G owns Morequity,

And i pray every day that they F A I L..

Chase bank is another good one for that!I Pray that they fail too!!!
De
  1st of Apr, 2010
I am less than 30 days behind on my mortage payment with MorEquity. They call me every hour! If I answer the call and tell them I am mailing in two weeks (for example) they tell me that they will start calling again in 7 days. So...I never take their calls. They are absolutely rude!! And they charge $15 to make a payment online...nope. You can wait for snail mail because I am not giving you one red cent extra! Creeps!!!