Monster Vacations Group, LLC / Buyer Beware

1 Myrtle Beach, SC, United States Review updated:

We were in Myrtle Beach and stopped at a Welcome Center to see what things were available for entertainment. There was only one guy at the front counter and we asked him about places to visit. He said he would get us tickets to several different shows for $10.00 each all we have to do was to go to a Vacation club presentation. We agreed that we would go and left $20.00 deposit on the tickets.

The next day we go to the presentation for Monster Vacations Group, LLC. There are two other couples and we go into a room with dry erase boards showing condos, cruises, and resorts for $299. These are at the more desirable vacation spots. The sales person shows us the listing in the RCI book and how much they cost for the locations we mention. Then he tells us we could have these same accomadation for $299. All we have to do is join the Vacation group and no they are not connected to any time share group. We can book anytime, anywhere that we wish to go. All we have to do is purchase a membership in the club and we will be given access online to recive the discounts from the club. Sounds Good so far. By the way there is a software upgrade fee of $199 per year. We will finance a loan at 0% and will refund your money if you are not happy. Even better now. Just sign all these standard legal forms and oh, you have to sign a software license agreement, and the loan agreement. Thank you for the deposit. Let us know if we can do anything else for you.

Several months later we find that we did NOT purchase a club membership but a Software licence. The Upgrade fee is $299 the first year with a 10% increase every year after. The loan was outsourced to Universal Account Servicing, LLC(rude people). You can NOT book any vacation for $299 other that some place you have never heard of. They refuse to refund our money and will not call us or answer our letters or E-Mails.

They fall right in with all the clubs. Yes, we know we are Stupid People to fall for this scam but how do we get out of it? Any suggestions.

Comments

27th of Apr, 2009

My name is Andrew McGill, owner of Monster Resorts and Vacations Group and I have copied the email response to this customer that I personally gave on April 7th 2009, which is the exact date I received the email. To date I have received no other correspondence from the consumer. For the record I am still very interested in helping this customer become satisfied and again my number personally is 843-457-6161. Below is my response:

From: amcgill@monsterresortsgroup.com
    [ add to contacts ]

To: Consumer
    Cc:
    Date: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 11:01 pm
    Subject: Re: Mark Spogy? (salesman of the vacaton club package)
    Attachments: Text version of this message. (2KB)

Consumer,

My name is Andrew McGill and I am the co-owner of Monster Resorts and Vacations Group. I would like to start by addressing our company's ratings with the BBB. The rating is a B+ and with over 15000 customers a year the few complaints we do have, have either been resolved or the actions taken have been deemed satisfactory by the BBB. Unfortunately we cannot have a higher rating as we have been in business a few months short of 3 years therefore a higher rating is not possible. The reason I wanted to address this first is because of your remarks about Monster being a frivilous company that takes advantage of "elderly people". This could not be further from the truth and while I do understand your being upset with the current situation do not appreciate distasteful remarks towards our organization. I would like to personally speak with you Rhonda as well as your parents if you could arrange it. I think it would help me better understand why you are upset and how I can help. Please feel free to call me on my mobile anytime @ 843-457-6161

-----Original Message-----

• Fr
      15th of Jun, 2009

We likewise visited the center in Myrtle Beach and got suckered into this vacation club. The only thing that we've been able to get for our money is approximately $20 off a couple of nights at hotels. We were told that there are condos available for $299 all over! I have not been able to find one anyplace we wanted to go. Like the above writer said, they're all in out of the way places - you can't find one in a desireable place - even in off season. We paid the downpayment and made some monthly payments. I also have tried to call Monster on several occasions, leaving messages, but no one ever called me back.

I sent a letter to them (by fax and Federal Express) revoking their authorization to take any more money from my bank account. These people sure do paint a rosy picture, but believe me, it's full of thorns!

I really don't think that these people can enforce the contract because they misrepresent what the club offers. I have no intention of paying $187 a month for nothing. I've even called the 800 number that's on their website when trying to book a place, and while they were extremely nice, there was nothing that they could find either.

Just getting out before I spend any more money. With the money that I spend on this worthless vacation club, I can take a very nice trip every year.

Freida Flores

29th of Jun, 2009

My husband and I also fell for this deal last summer. we thought it would pay for itself if we could book condos anywhere we wanted to stay for A$349-$399. Well, let me just say, those condos are not available. I have gone over the website for hours over several days, and I can't find any place we would be interested in going in that price range. I tried to call for help on the spotlight vacations that start at #299, well the closest we can get to a vacation spot where we would like to go is priced at $730. Wow! Please don't be taken advantage of like we were. Don't buy. We have to pay yearly for the software license. Well, till I add that to the $730, I could have booked a condo on my own where I actually wanted to vacation. They sure do paint a pretty picture, but when it comes down to it, stay away!!!

• Sc
      30th of Jun, 2009

Report the company to the Council of Better Business Bureaus at https://odr.bbb.org/odrweb/public/getstarted.aspx. Best of luck!

30th of Jun, 2009

My name is Andrew McGill and I would love to personally talk to Mrs. Flores and the customer below because there must be a few problems in the way you are navigating the site. Our programs availability is phenomenal with the top end places in the country for traveling are almost always available with proper notice. I would love to spend time with the both of you teaching you how to navigate the website and the best deals we have going right now. If you could please call me directly @ 843.457.6161 or toll free @ 866.737.6161. Thank you and my intentions are to make the both of you happy with this program or find a resolution that works for both parties.

Sincerely,

Andrew McGill (Owner and Vice President Monster Resorts and Vacations Group)

• Oh
      1st of Aug, 2009

Scam Victim
    Also purchased the license for secure website to get deep discount on travel and hotel stays and cruises 06/22/09. As of 07/27/09 didnot receive a password or code to look at site.
    Monster Vacations or Monster Resort Group have my e-mail address, telephone number (home and cell) but couldn't find time to send me access. I will not use this site because they will get another credit card number to charge you. Scam me once but not twice.
    Reported them to the BBB Myrtle Beach.

• Lu
      18th of Aug, 2009

My wife and I are currently, at the time of writing, at Mrytle Beach. We came across this company through our hotel. A man and a woman were standing behind a desk in the lobby and they said they were conseuarages. We approached them for information about the bus schedule and booking a day cruise. They did not help us at all but instead told us they could get us cheap tickets for shows and that, "The City of Mrytle Beach is so desperate for tourism that they wanted us to go on a 'virtual' tour of one of the resorts nearby and that we could possibly come back the next year and stay at the resort for only $299." Since this seemed legitmate and they were giving us a discount on tickets we signed up and went to the presentation.
    At the presentation we were sat down and walked through how time shares worked and how this company was different. They showed us pictures on there wall of all the "happy" people who had signed up over the past couple of months and some vacation photos of their staff at different locations around the word. We then went through the nuts and bolts of locations and payments. On a side note the person at the hotel had mentioned none of this and we were not prepared to spend the amount of money they were asking for up front, $10, 000. They then did a power point presentation which consisted of pictures of resorts and rooms and showed us there "website" which does not look anything like the website that I found when I googled them. They then explained how easy and cheap it was to go through and book rooms at peak times of year and how they compared to well known sites such as expedia and priceline. After this they sat back down and went through the payment details.
    My wife and I did not have the money on us and were not interested in taking out a loan to pay the 10, 000 up front. The salesman, Ian, claimed that he would make a "soft sell" to us after the presentation but became very hostile and tried to pressure us into paying upfront after we asked if we could think about it and pay the whole fee upfront once we got the cash together for it. He told us that the attroney general of South Carolina would not allow them to do this and that it would not be fair to other people who had paid the first time they came in. I see now that they did not want us looking them up or researching them. My wife and I left at this point. We did get our tickets and everything that was promised to us, but I am glad we did not sign up.

one more note:
    They will seperate parents from there children and from what I could tell the children were unattended during the sales process.

• Le
      8th of Sep, 2009

Totally true of this company, not only did they try and pressure us into buying a timeshare. They were inconsistant with their presentation, we must ahve had a new recruit of the company given to us. He fumbled over the facts and kept calling for backu when we had a legit question. Needless to say, we did not purchase anything and will not utilize this company again. Travelers beware this is not a reputable company. Besides the cellular number this dude offers in his responses isn't even working, It states that this number has been temporarily disconnected. Nice try co-owner, how do you sleep at night scamming people. Unethical and disgusting.

9th of Sep, 2009

Leighha,

Unfortunately I am not sure how I can help you because your complaint is full of incorrect information.

1) We do not and never have sold timeshare to anyone. (bad information)
    2) We do have new representatives from time to time and if they are unsure of anything, rather than giving bad information, they are trained to ask a representative of greater experience. This is to help protect you as well as our company. (if this is a negative business practice then we are guilty as charged)
    3) My cellular number is, and always has been working. Before you have the audacity to call our business a scam/unethical/disgusting I would suggest you re-check your information. 843.457.6161 (My cell phone number, or if you'd like here is my email amcgill@monsterresortsgroup.com, or if you would like to call toll free 866.737.6211 or 866.737.5615)

I sleep very well at night knowing our product is excellent for our owners. I do find it very dishearting however to know that you would go to such lengths to complain about a program that you decided not to get involved with. I do apologize this program was not for you, but would appreciate the courtesy of being contacted directly if you with to communicate further.

Owner Monster Resorts and Vacations Group

16th of Sep, 2009

My husband and I are also are stuck with Monster Vacations Group. We even tried to use it this summer at Myrtle Beach. We were looking for two (2) bedrooms units ocean front property in South Myrtle Beach. I phoned Monster Group the first week in June. The guy said he would look for units and call me back. Note to say by the end of June I heard nothing back from them. So on 29th of June I called them back and left a message at 10:16 a.m.. The next day I had not heard from them. So I called again at 1:07 pm, then again 2nd of July. The guy said he was still looking for properties, then I told him to put North Myrtle Beach in the search for oceanfront.I was thinking North and South he should be able to find something .Then I called again 14th of July, then again 23rd of July. Note to say we did not go to Mrtle Beach this summer. We put down $1, 136.00 and pay monthly payment of $129.00 and we have been paying this a little over a year. What makes this so bad is. That we can't even use it.

We tried to use it for Ocean City, MD again nothing. Also for Bahamas and Cape May New Jersey (Which has no properties at all.) it's the same old thing nothing available. Monster Vacations Group needs more!!! properties. As far as it goes for the hotels, it not really giving you big saving. If you have AAA, AARP or Military you can get better discount then what Monster is giving you.

Orbit, Travelocity, Hotwire, Travelzoo, Priceline and etc. are giving up better deals then Monster Vacations Group. May be they just dont care, now that they have our money and still get monthly payment from people.

We are paying for something that we have tried over and over agian to use. But can never use it. My husband and I are going on our third trip this year and can't use Monster Vacation Group at all. This is a SHAME!!!

How does one get out of THIS vacations club. They sold us something. Not what they were talking about at there site.

16th of Sep, 2009

What does everyone think about bringing a Class Action Suit against Monster Vacations Group/Monster Resorts Group, LLC. This is better than reporting to BBB or do both.

17th of Sep, 2009

Mrs. Sloanne,

What toll free number did you call for a vacation in Myrtle Beach? We have virtually unlimited inventory with a 45-60 day notice. I will be calling you today to see if I can help you and what problems you have encountered so far. We need to know if the number(s) you were calling were correct, I just don't understand how this could happen considering so many owners came to Myrtle Beach this year through us. We are headquartered right here in Myrtle. This should never be an issue.

24th of Sep, 2009

The number that I called is (888) 990-2582 it's the Reservation Center number that's on the paper work that came from MONSTER VACATION GROUP.. There should be some kind of record that show me trying to find a 2 bedroom oceanfront unit for the month of August. I started calling in the 1st week of June.

Yes please give me a call.Cause we are very unhappy with this. We just came back from another vacation...note to say it was not be able to use MONSTER VACATION GROUP.

24th of Sep, 2009

Mrs. Sloane,

I tried contacting you last week from this information we have on file, but the number I am showing has been changed to a non published number. The easiest way to get a hold of me since I am unable to get a hold of you at this time is my mobile 843.457.6161 or 866.737.6211. I look forward to speaking with you.

Sincerley,

28th of Sep, 2009

Our phone number has NOT changed. It has been the same number for 13 years. As a matter of fact you have called us before. Owing my husband and I 3 days/2nights at Myrtle Beach. This is because you all had a mix up on your end and we could not log on to your system.

I'm calling you now on 843-457-6161 @ 2:07. I just phoned you and left a message on your voice mail.

• Su
      15th of Nov, 2009

WOW! And to think I was going to seek employment through Monsters Vacation Group! I LOVE this Complaints Boards Site! Save you a lot of ANGST in the long run!

I wish all of you the best, including Mr. McGill, in efforts to figure out how to STOP all the negativity & miscommunications!

Chris in Surfside

• Aa
      17th of Nov, 2009

As so many others as I have just finished reading my husband and I were also riped off. Would love to start a class action suit against them. Put down $2000.00 on credit card paying $129.00 a month. We purchased this at while vacationing in Myrtle Beach. Was very excited to use this last past July and called in March to book something and guess what - NOTHING!!! Nothing available when we wanted to go!! So when they called for the $199.00 maintenance fee I told them about my experience and they said sorry but couldn't do anything about it. Unfortunately, for the first time in 10 years my husband and I could not afford to go because we had racked up so much in paying them. I am very serious in starting a class action suit. I believe it is a big rip off and scam.

19th of Nov, 2009

Keep me posted on the class action suit. I am fed up with trying to get things done. Husband tried talking to them and all they talk about is the website.

Mrs. Blatt,

No Mrs. Blatt that is not what happened with your husband and I. We spoke and what I told him is this: If we cannot get you the vacation you want through our website at a lower price than anywhere else on the web then I would refund your entire package. Again Our company stance is very simple, if you do not like the program because you believe it doesn't work the way you intended it to, give our company a chance to show you how to properly navigate the website and if you are still unhappy because we are not saving you money then we will issue a full refund to you. However Mrs. Blatt you nor your husband have called back for assistance, you would rather complain on web forum than actually get use of your product, that is a shame for the both of us. For any of the other 7 customers on here who have a complaint please feel free to call me directly so we can discuss how this program can benefit you or if it doesn't based on our inablility to save you money like we promised we will issue you a full refund. If that approach deserves a class action law suit and you feel this is a scam then take whatever action you feel is needed, but I and our company stands behind our product and the way we do business. If anyone takes the time to read this I believe you will agree Monster Vacations Group is doing the right thing.
    866.737.6211 or 843.457.6161

Monster Resorts/Vacations Group

19th of Nov, 2009

I have said it before and I am again saying it...this is not what we thought we were buying into. We could not get the vacation that we wanted to go on this past summer, after many hours spent on the website looking at the many vacation spots. I may have sent off only a few inquiries, but I spent hours looking at all of the places, and none of them were what we wanted or the price we wanted. It is not a website issue. It is the fact that this program does NOT benefit us. You can tell me again how I can get a condo to stay at through MVG and it will cost me half the price but if I can't find what I want, when I want, and how I want, I am not benefiting. I would be happy with a refund. I would be happy to be done with the monthly payments. I would be happy not to have to spend the $199 or $249 for the software fee each year.

I spoke with someone a while back, which didn't help at all. I have sent emails. I really don't wish to talk to someone who just wants me to take his point of view on something that he thinks is so wonderful. I don't think it is so wonderful. Sorry, I just don't.

Oh, I did call today, but no one is in, so I did leave a message for Tammy, who left a message here last week.