Monarch Media Group / Phone Scam!

1 -Dallas, TX, United States Review updated:
Phone: -

I am one of the unfortunate victims of this scam. In 2008, Monarch Media Group had called selling their product as a renewal. They had information on the person who had my position before me as I was a newcomer. I thought I would agree to their service to keep the department going. This was a paid sum of nearly $500. I checked out their CD and was confused by their service but had no time to look into it.

This year, 2009, I investigated their services and origins further as they were wanting $375 to finalize the contract (what contract????) and discovered that they are truly a scam. They only found names of people in the company and twisted their words so a person will think that they will get the phone listing for 411. Not so!

They do not provide a service that google, yahoo, MSN, web crawler, etc. doesn't provide for FREE! They aren't even plugged into the world. You'll find this out when you get a lovely CD with technology and graphics similar to Oregon Trail.

This product is no good. Simply return any CD to sender and throw away the invoice. You may get many calls or threats. Know your rights on consumer abuse like this.

Comments

• Hi
      22nd of Apr, 2009

I want to clarify that it was in Sept. 2007 when they first solicited me/billed me $469.99, 7 months later they billed us again at $354.50, and again at $374.50 in Sept 08...and now in 2009 they are requiring a final payment (which they wont receive). After seeking council from many people who deal with this all of the time, here are the steps to take which I will also take:

1. Do not be intimidated by a verbal contract. This can not be proven. If, for example, you were to call up an office supply store and order supplies, this kind of verbal agreement would be different since you called them up. Not so for solicitors.

2. Payment from your company to theirs does not signify a contract unless there is a written contract on your check. You can recognize similar contracts that would say in the fine print "if you cash this check you agree to sign up for our services, " but since it was a payment from you to them, don't worry about this.

Further, only authorized signatures are legally binding which is basically at the C-level of a business, unless otherwise authorized. Monarch Media Group does not have you sign any contract, their playbook involves the phone.

(I wanted to call out this one specifically because this was a tactic they used in the latest call.)

3. If your experience is anything like mine thus far, please note that they will send their seasoned veterans out to intimidate you. For example: during my "verification call" I questioned them and ended up that I would get a call back appx a week later. During this call I was told such things like Monarch Media Group were in the process of filing suit against a person who blogged negative feedback similar to this website. This is obviously a lie.

She ran down invoice numbers which don't matter and was implying filing suit against my company through other client experiences. Simply put, please do not be intimidated, stay calm, and if you are unsure, take notes and ask someone knowledgeable.

---------------------

My personal experience has been interesting after pushing back and questioning them. It's also amazing to me how under-the-radar these people are. I hadn't noticed any other billing coming through the marketing dept for the 2008 payments.

Final note:

Please push back and question them and let them expose themselves. Do not be intimidated especially in these difficult economic times.

• Sj
      23rd of Apr, 2009

I am currently dealing with these folks and am experiencing the same intimidation that others are describing. I am hoping that with the insight I received here I am successful in dealing with these unprincipled people.

• Ki
      23rd of Apr, 2009

This is odd, I have been a customer of theirs for nearly 4 years and have never experienced any of these problems. They did contact me early in 2006 and offered me a free trial listing for 2 months. I accepted and 2 months later received a call back asking if I wanted to update my information at their standard fees. They showed me all of their different packages and even suggested that I go with the cheapest one to start, to make sure it was a marketing method that would suit my business. They followed up regularly, every 6 months or so, to make sure my listing was ok and to notify me of any changes to my account (new features, new pricing, etc.) In light of these tough economic times, I was forced to cancel my listing with them. When I called to do so, they did do their best to keep my business, offering discounts and extra features for free. When I respectfully declined, they asked if they can call me back in about a year to see if my situation had improved. I accepted and hope that I will be able to continue my business relationship with them at that time.

• Jg
      14th of Jul, 2009

And you paid their whopping fees for service that is provided FREELY by other places? Very unfortunate...what's more unfortunate is that you like paying for free services.

shill, maybe?