Momentum Direct Financial / Fake check sent to me in the mail!

I received a check today for $2,902 from Provident Bank. It was mailed by a "company" called Momentum Direct Financial. The claim that I have won a North American Utilities drawing held on Monday, September 24th. They claim that I was selected through a computer ballot system, and that my lucky winning numbers were pulled out of 149,000 telephone numbers and utility bills of individuals who sign up for services. It says that I have been awarded a lump sum pay out of $46,500.00 USD cash, that this is the winning payout for the series from a total prize money of $25,234,000.00 that was shared among winners. THIS IS A SCAM. DO NOT CASH THESE CHECKS. THIS IS THROUGH THE MAIL, SO IT WILL BECOME A FEDERAL OFFENSE IF YOU CASH THEM.

Ke

Comments

• K
      7th of Nov, 2007

IT IS NOT A FEDERAL OFFENSE IF YOU CASH THEM, KELLI... IT WILL BE A FEDERAL OFFENSE TO THE COMPANY WHO SENT THE CHECK IF YOU CASH IT.

• Ri
      8th of Nov, 2007

I received exactly the same letter but the check was drawn on a Texas bank. Didn't cash the check because the bank will charge you when it bounces. Filed complaint with Canadian authorities (letter came from Regina, SK).

• Cy
      9th of Nov, 2007

I received check # 6099 for exactly 2,902.00 drawn on a Texas bank that does not seem to exist. Will file complaint with U.S. & Canadian Authorities. Just wondering if all the checks were the same number.

Cindy.

• Js
      13th of Nov, 2007

We received a similar check today... Click the link to see an image of the check. (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2053/2009150767_f012c1ae16_b.jpg) Total fraud. File a complaint.