Mohawk Carpet / Bad service

1 I-10 and Dairy AshfordHouston, TX, United States Review updated:

I purchased a houseful of Mohawk carpet from Gary's Carpet in Houston in October 2006. When the sales agent came to see me, I was upfront and honest by letting him know that I needed carpet strong enough that the cat could not pull out any carpet fibers. He informed me that Mohawk carpet was what I needed and that there was no way the cat could ever damage it. Before signing the papers, I reiterated this 3 different times during the conversation. it was extremely important to me.

Move forward to 9 months of owning the carpet, I noticed fibers coming out in different spots where I knew the cat would sometimes claw. I collected fibers for a month and sent them to Gary's Carpet along with a letter wanting to know why this was happening when I was assured it wouldn't. When I was finally contacted, I was told they wanted to make it right and would put in a claim to Mohawk. Weeks went by without hearing anything and when I contacted Gary's Carpet to get the claim number so I could call Mohawk, I was told someone forgot to place the claim. They fixed that error. I finally got to talk to someone at Mohawk who said my carpet was now out of warranty and besides my cats had done the damage. I replied that it wasn't out of warranty when the whole mess started and and that yes, I was aware the cat had pulled up the carpet fibers but that I was assured several times by my salesman that absolutely would not happen. I told them that as far as I was concerned, Gary's Carpet acts as their representative and I asked them if they were going to stand behind their dealer and send someone out or abandon their dealer to handle this on their own. I never got a reply.

One afternoon Gary's Carpet did call and agree to send someone out. He arrived and I showed him the different areas and he got on his hands and knees and started pulling out carpet fibers with his fingers, then he moved to areas the cat had not damaged and started pulling out carpet fibers there as well just by tugging on them... the whole time he was saying "this carpet shouldn't be doing this". He said it over and over. He also said I may have received some inferior carpet to begin with. I was pleased at the time that someone else was seeing what I was seeing. However, I got a call the next day that Gary's Carpet decided not to do anything at all about any of it. So I guess the gentleman went in and told them something entirely different than he was telling me the night before.

I was not asking for the entire house of carpet to be replaced, merely asking that they reduce what I owed on the carpet since I would have to replace the living room and one bedroom carpet yet again when the time came to sell the house. I felt this was reasonable. Please exercise Buyer Beware if shopping at Gary's, be wary of anything the carpet salesman promises you and don't purchase or sign any contracts for Mohawk carpet, it apparently isn't what is cracked up to be.

Va

Comments

• Wa
      26th of Sep, 2008

Sorry to hear about your carpet experience but the problem with your carpet sounds like it started with the store you purchased it from. I don't know of any carpet or carpet producer that can withstand the continued abuse from a cat clawing away at your carpet. Imagine going to a shirt store and asking a retailer to sell you a shirt that your cat could not destroy, they would think you were crazy. A shirt and your carpet are both textiled goods. Also after 9 months your warranty should still be good. If I were you I would stay away from the carpet store you made the purchase from. Also you can't ask Mohawk to stand behind a statement from a misinformed salesman that would tell you anything to get the sale. EVERYONE SHOULD USE THE INTERNET TO INFORM THEMSELVES ABOUT A LARGE PURCHASE LIKE FLOORCOVERING. AND DON'T TRUST A CARPET STORE FOR ALL THE RIGHT INFORMATION.

• Je
      29th of Jan, 2009

If you really want to see what cn be done about your problem, what you need to do is contact an independant inspector. Independant inspectors have nothing to do with the manufacturers, flooring store nor you the consumer. By contacting an inspector you will have the opportunity to find out the real problem. If and when they come out and inspect your flooring they then will give their professional opinion. With this written report (if it goes in your favor) will be able to go to Mohawk and force them to replace or compensate you for the defective product. In a court of law the independant inspectors report will win out. Don't hold all floor covering stores and salepeople at the same standard as Gary's store and saleperson, there is a large majority of knowledgeable and honest stores and salespeople out there. The internet is not always the answer, the information given can be just as bad and dishonest as what you encountered from Gary's. Good Luck!

• Mr
      30th of Jul, 2009

It sounds like your carpet was a "Staple" carpet, there are 3 types of carpets, "Staples" "BCF" and "Berbers"

So the way a berber is made is it a fiber that is one long thread really that is Continuous Filament that goes through, it is the most durable of carpets but you can have some issues with pets.

Next is "BCF" also known as Continuous Filament, the way this is made is same as a berber, but the top of it is sheared off, (also known as a cut pile carpet) this is a type I would recomend to most pet owners, it will shed for about the first week you have it but after that you should not have any issues with it.

Lastly there is "Staple" carpets, a staple carpet is a carpet that is each tuff is stapled into the backing. it is normaly a carpet that will sell for less then a BCF and looks more "fluffy" but it will shed the intire time you have it and pets would easily pull fibers out of it. Now what most people who sell carpet will Not tell you is, Staple carpets have almost no warenties against a cat pulling fibers, the #1 warranty to look for is texture retention, which is almost only for BCF and berbers, only staples that would have it are really high end ones.
    To me it sounds like the sales man and the person who inspected your carpet didnt know what they were talking about. You should file a complaint to the Better Business Bureau, get them to send out an inspector so you wont have to pay for that, and get all the facts on that. But over all it sounds like he Oversold a product and under delivered to you.