Moe's Southwest Grill / lied to, then fired because of favoritism

Rehoboth Beach, DE, United States Review updated:

First of all, I was terminated by Morissey Management a few weeks ago, right before my three month raise. This should give you an idea of how long I worked here. I enjoyed this job more than any other job I have held, and I had completely committed myself to staying with this company for a minimum of a year. I worked hard, I did EVERYTHING I was asked as soon as possible and I strived to do my best.
I enjoyed the company of my managers as well as all of the employees.
As far as I was concerned, there were no complaints against me, I had only one written warning (my register was approx. 3.00 over/under) and my work was adequate. Consequently, these were not the views of the Co-Owner Tim Morrisey's girlfriend and assistant manager, "Carol" (last name unknown).

On September 27th, approximately 2:30 pm, my shift at noon was supposed to end (worked with Manager Carol). The incoming manager, Kira Herbst had asked me if I could stay to work the evening shift, for a young man had quit earlier that day. I agreed as Ms. Herbst had told me to go on break. She was now the manager on duty.
After clocking out, I had asked Ms. Herbst if I would make a few phone calls in the back of the dining room, so I could reschedule my day. Ms. Herbst said "yes" and was fully aware of what I was doing and where I was.
I made two calls: one to my boyfriend to ask if I could work that evening, and one to my Aunt, whom I had prior plans with for that day.
I was on the phone for a majority of fifteen minutes at the maximum.
When returning to the front of the store, I was immediately yelled at by "Carol", who said "WHO WERE YOU ON THE PHONE WITH?"
I tried to explain to her as quickly as possible why I needed to use the phone, however I was cut off by her yelling "Do you know that it is company policy that if you use the phone without asking ME, you can be fired?" All I could do was shrug. I was startled. Ms. Herbst attempted to tell her that I had permission from her to use the company phone.
She then quickly stormed away, and I left the store.

At this point, I would like to state that "Carol" was the only "employee/manager" who seemed the have a problem with me. I was always respectful and did everything that was asked of me from her. She, nor any other manager had ever given me a warning about using the phone. In fact, most of the employees used the phone at their own will.

I was assured by the manager Kira Herbst, that nothing should happen to me because
- I had permission from a manager
- My reasoning for using the phone was entirely for the sake of working for the company

I worked that entire evening without thinking about the earlier events.

I returned the next day around four thirty to work my 5:00-9:00 shift. I was expecting Ms. Herbst as the manager on duty, however I was greeted by the General Manager Jaci Beaston.
I was asked how I was, then told to not clock in. She took me aside and said "Yesterday, I had tried to call for thirty minutes and no one answered."
Of course, I told her that I had not been on the phone for thirty minutes. She then said "Well I tried to call and no one answered". She refused to look at me while she said this.
I was then told that what I had done wrong was in the handbook and that was that.
I told her everything; exactly how things happened the day before. Mrs. Beaston then stated, and I quote: "Well Tim does not see it that way."
She then said that I was "Terminated". There was nothing I felt I could do then, so I said "Okay", and turned to leave.

Hopefully you can also see the things wrong with this. There are a few obvious ones, such as that I had the permission I needed so I was not breaking the rules, and I had no warnings about the issue.

I spoke to Ms. Herbst about a week later and found that she had not been contacted about my termination when the verdict had been made. When told that the General Manager tried calling, Ms. Herbst checked the phone history, and found that Mrs. Beaston had NEVER CALLED. Yet there were two calls from customers who had left messages.
I was lied to.

As for the handbook, I immediately went home and searched the handbook that had been given to me, to see where I had breached its "law". All I found was a line that read "...company phone is for emergencies only." But, was I not using the phone so I could work for the company?
If it was true that I could be fired on the spot for using the company phone and not telling "carol", I had yet to see the evidence.
I then realized, that my handbook's cover read:

"JANUARY 2008".

I was never given the new, revised handbook of "January 2009", nor have I ever seen it.
I was never aware of this policy. I never signed in agreement to it.
The ONLY Delaware law that supports this says "It is illegal for a company to not follow it's own policies."

Also, I believe that I would have never been fired if the Co-Owner's Girlfriend, "Carol" had not been the one to complain. It seems to me that "she gets what she wants". And oh, how wrong this is. There shouldn't even be a relationship like this one in a company.

Here are the facts in a Nutshell"

1. I had the permission to use the phone
2. I was lied to by the General Manager, and there is proof
3. I had never agreed to the policy, because I was never given the correct handbook to sign
4. The relationship status between the Co-Owner and Assistant Manager is UNETHICAL

If I could, I would warn everyone about working for this Franchise in Delaware. This should have never happened to me.

Sk

Comments

• Sk
      Oct 16, 2009

I was just being sarcastic when saying "... I could be fired on the spot for using the company phone and not telling "carol"..."

• To
      Nov 04, 2009

Morissey Managment are HORRIBLE to work for! I too worked for this company and was fired for no good reason so were several other people during the time i was there. Yes i didwork with the owners girlfriend too the whole buisness is family and they are jerks. I would advise people to not work for this company!!

• So
      Aug 20, 2018
    Moe's Southwest Grill - Employee
    Saratoga Springs
    New York

I was driving out back of Moe's in Saratoga and saw a large girl with glasses smoking marijuana she was in full uniform so I know she works ther

• Gr
      Oct 03, 2018
    Moe's Southwest Grill - Services and management
    Macon
    Georgia

When I went there it was very bad service and management. And from what I here mangers are stealing money from store.

• Ga
      Oct 15, 2018
    Moe's Southwest Grill - Missing Food
    Jacksonville
    Alabama
    moes.com

I had ordered steak nachos online for a pick-up 9/14/2018. As I was eating I noticed that I had no steak in it. I only noticed this after I returned home. I paid for steak nachos not plain. Considering plain is not an option I would like a refund because what I was given is not what I ordered.

• Se
      Oct 21, 2018
    Moe's Southwest Grill - Online ordering
    Erie
    Pennsylvania

I ordered a meal online to be picked up on the app, 3 steak+ beef tacos with cheese and lettuce only and a green sauce was on all 3 when I specifically made sure no sauce would be on it.

• Ab
      Nov 04, 2018
    Moe's Southwest Grill - Greeting
    Loudonville
    New York

I usually get greeted as soon as I walk into Moes. I was in loudonville Moes and as I walked in I did not get greeted and everyone looked upset. It made my dining experience very bad and I am displeased.

• Bo
      Nov 11, 2018
    Moe's Southwest Grill - Food and service
    Columbia
    California

My order was being made wrong right in front of me. I told the employee I wanted steak not chicken and instead of getting rid of the chicken he just added steak on top of it when I cannot eat chicken. then I bought a drink and there was no drinks left in the entire restaurant from sodas to Sweet Tea absolutely nothing.

• To
      Dec 11, 2018
    Moe's Southwest Grill - Customer service
    Milford Connecticut

Just got bad service from your Milford, CT located in the service plaza of I-95 south. Server could care less. No greeting no smile no thank you and no receipt. Please contact me ASAP or I will be writing about this on social media...

• Ga
      Dec 11, 2018
    Moe's Southwest Grill - Food
    8133 Kennsignton Dr. unit C waxhaw, Nc
    Waxhaw
    North Carolina

Hair in my food! Disgusting it makes me question the sanitation of the employees and the restaurant. Threw my food in the garbage after finding someone else's hair inside my quesadilla. I'll never eat at another Moe's anywhere.

Gavenia Bailes

• Na
      Jan 23, 2019
    Moes - Not being able to use a Moe’s gift card.

I wanted to use my Moe's gift card at Moe's in the del Lago Resort and Casino in Waterloo, Ny and they told me NO. Why, it's just like money or a credit card. Needless to say I went some wher else and used good old cold hard cash.

•   Apr 27, 2019

@Nancy GO Because they said no, that's why. Why are you behaving like a brat?

• Do
      Apr 15, 2019
    Moe's Southwest Grill - Close talker salad
    Rocky Point,Long Island ,New York

My son and I made our usual run to Moe's. I ordered my usual close talker salad and was told they don't come with the tortilla bowl anymore, but I ordered it anyway. When I got home and went to eat it the lettuce was all black and slimey, it could not be eaten, I basically paid $10 for a spoon of rice and meat.

•   Apr 27, 2019

What with you calling your boyfriend to ask him permission to work late?

• De
      Apr 30, 2019
    Moe's Southwest Grill - Water cup
    Port Charlotte Florida

Four years ago today, I had a negative experience at Moe's and have never returned since, because I wanted a lid for my water cup.

I called customer service and they were going to rectify the situation, but of course, nothing happened...

I was told that they still charge for cups with lids

• Re
      May 11, 2019
    Moe's Southwest Grill - Wonderful experience!!
    Memphis airport

I went to Moe's in the Memphis Airport this morning for breakfast and it was great!! The whole crew was amazing including the managers!!! Whole different experience from my last visit that was really horrible! I will for sure be back on my way back through! Thank you!!!

• Re
      Jun 09, 2019
    Moe's Southwest Grill - Food

Employee did not give what i ask for !! My earmuff only has beans and rice ! I specifically asked for everything it comes with besides gif and pico!! This is very discouraging ! Poor customer service employee tried rushing me out of drive thru wen it was a simple order! I could've made this at home if this was all i wanted