Modernmom.com / Disney Giveaway / Modernmom.com Disney Contest / False Advertising

1 CA, United States Review updated:

There is an on-line website called Modern Mom.com that is having an on-line contest. They are located in California. The contest is for a Disney World Vacation Giveaway valued at $5000. The originally contest started on 2/14/09 and was to be run through 2/25/09 when their favorite submitted videos would be picked & posted that day for the Modern Mom Community to vote on a winner. On 2/23/09, there were only three of us who entered the contest and made the deadline and on their website that day; they changed the deadline to 2/28/09 with their favorites to be posted on 3/1/09. I read on-line laws and what I found was that it is illegal to change the contest deadline if the contest had already started. After they changed the contest deadlines the day they were suppose to end, 3 more people entered the contest and one of the new entries will surely win, as it is beyond a sad story! I think it is being used to get attention drawn to the Modernmom.com website. It is not fair to the 3 of us that entered by 2/25 and met the original deadline. I printed off the website with the original rules on 2/14/09; before they changed the dates on the day the contest was suppose to end. I also printed their changed rules that they did not note as changed. They ran this same contest last year and there were only 5 of us who met the deadline & again they changed the deadline on the day the contest was supposed to end. I just find it hard to believe that it is legal to do this, especially for the same contest and same prize package.

I called them several times and left voice mails & they would not return my calls. I have e-mailed them and they will not return my e-mails. I posted on their message boards and they have gone in and deleted my posts. I believe this is a "FIXED" giveaway & I believe it is false advertising. They changed the rules after the contest started. Another contestant contacted them & they responded to her and told her they never changed anything. So, I got on their site today after she spoke to them and they removed the rules from their website (but I still have the original rules and changed rules I printed). I do not feel it is fair to those of us who followed the rules and met the original deadline.

On 3/1 no voting site was put up. I posted on their message board with no response in regards to the status of the contest. The current person winning posted & they responded “tech difficulties and they would have up on 3/4/09". They did not have up then and just posted 3/11/09 for voting to start. I believe it is fraudulent business activity to change the dates of an online contest once it starts.

I did get a hold of them on Friday & spoke to the owner, Lita Carrico. I told her it was not fair for the contest dates to be changed after the contest was started. First she said nothing was changed, but then I told her I had printed her website rules before and after the changes and that I had proof they were changed. She then told me that they have a contract with Disney and the contest had to run so many days under that contract. She said they were in the mist of changing servers and did not receive all the applications, due to server issues. I told her that should not have mattered, as the contest still ran the # of days they originally posted. I told her that was not true, as when the videos are posted on You Tube, they are dated. I let her know that there were 3 entries after the original deadline that were picked as finalists. She then told me if I had an issue I could talk to the company’s attorneys, but did not give me a number to contact them.

Again, they ran this same contest last year with a Disney Vacation give away & they changed the entry dates on the last day of the contest. I cannot believe Disney would sponsor / and or contract with a company that changes the rules as they go along, instead of following the laws.

I have filed a complaint with the attorney general, but am very seriously considering legal action.

Comments

• Ry
      29th of Mar, 2009

Seriously, you need to get over this. A contest of this nature, where there is no reliance or investment on your part is completely gratuitous in nature and they can pretty much change the rules at their whim at any time. While it may seem totally unfair to you, there is a vast difference between what is "fair" and what is "legal".

• Sn
      28th of Apr, 2009

No big surprise there. That company has been involved in scams before. A few years ago they scammed many people out of money for memberships promising gift bags that never materialized. Wouldn't surprise me at all if the contest was fixed.

• Su
      19th of Jul, 2009

TMy kids and I — plus a group of our closest friends — are leaving rainy Los Angeles to escape to Walt Disney World tomorrow.  Instead of packing for our week-long trip…I’m procrastinating. A lot.

But, once the bags are packed, we’ll be off for a busy week at one of my favorite places in the world. And, for those who know me, this is probably a shock because I’m not really what you’d call a theme-park person. I prefer sandy beaches, good food & wine and, ideally, a deluxe spa just footsteps from my hotel suite.

But after last year, when my boys and I went to Walt Disney World for the first time, I changed my tune. I was BLOWN AWAY by everything that Walt Disney World has to offer.

We stayed at an amazing, world-class resort — Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa…did you catch that? Yup, SPA. Where, of course, I indulged in a massage or two while the boys played in the many amazing pools and water areas the resort offers. So, yes, we’re staying there again this year.

Plus, we’re taking three other families along with us! So after the kids are exhausted from exploring the parks, meeting Mickey Mouse, touring the Animal Kingdom and visiting countries at Epcot, we’ll be bringing in a babysitter to watch them while the adults head to Downtown Disney to enjoy the night.

Jealous? Don’t be…we’re all going to be documenting our whole trip on ModernMom.com, here and on Twitter pretty much constantly. And, at the end of our week, we’ll tell you how you can win your own, custom — all expenses paid! — trip to Walt Disney World for your family.

Stay tuned!

• Su
      19th of Jul, 2009

That is from Lolita Carricos blog. Looks like she won her own contest.

• Dd
      18th of Oct, 2010

Well, she's at it again this time with a new company. She has taken people money and promised Gloss elite boxes which... surprise surprise have not been delivered! www.gloss.com

• Th
      30th of Sep, 2011

Booking No.: 2890131 Last Name: CARRICO First Name: LOLITA Middle Name: JASMIN

Sex: F Race: H Date Of Birth: 01/22/1973 Age: 38 Hair: BLK Eyes: BRO Height: 503 Weight: 180

Charge Level: F (Felony)

ARREST
    Arrest Date: 09/26/2011 Arrest Time: 1500 Arrest Agency: 9294 Agency Description: SUPR CRT-VAN NUYS, NOWEST

Date Booked: 09/26/2011 Time Booked: 1513 Booking Location: M112 Location Description: CRT - VAN NUYS MUNI DIV 112

BAIL
    Total Bail Amount: 100, 000.00 Total Hold Bail Amount: 0.00 Grand Total: 100, 000.00

HOUSING LOCATION
    Housing Location: CRDF

Permanent Housing Assigned Date: 09/28/2011 Assigned Time: 0914 Visitor Status: N

Facility: CENTURY REGIONAL DETENTION FACILITY
    Address: 11705 ALAMEDA STREET City: LYNWOOD

Public Visiting Guidelines Facility Visiting Schedule

For County facility visiting hours, Please call (213) 473-6080 at Inmate Information Center.

COURT
    Next Court Code: M112 Next Court Date: 09/30/2011 Next Court Time: 0830 Next Court Case: LA06801301

Court Name: VAN NUYS MUNI CT DIV 112
    Court Address: 14400 ERWIN STREET MALL Court City: VAN NUYSUPT

RELEASE
    No Information On Release Date.

CASE INFORMATION
    Case No. Court Name Court Address Court City Bail Amt. Fine Amt. Court Date Sent. Date Sent. Day(s) Disp Code
    LA06801301 100, 000.00 .00 09/30/2011 0
    Click on specific Case No. for detailed information.

• Mm
      15th of May, 2013

LOLITA CARRICO ARRESTED AGAIN!
    Contact Detective Lisa Seguin at LAPD (31022@lapd.lacity.org )if you are a victim of Lolita's. Next court date is May 28, 2013