Mobile Messenger / Fraudulent charges

I had the same problem as many others with Mobile Messenger. My 13 yr. old son took an I.Q. quiz online, and when he entered his cell #, this company automatically signed him up and billed us (the parents) $9.99. This happened to my husband about a year ago...same exact deal...took a quiz online, next month, bill had charges. Fortunately for us, I was able to contact the company, and was told I would receive a refund check for the $9.99 in about four to six weeks. I am still not paying the amount on the bill, because I don't trust them to actually refund the money. The email address above and the phone # are both correct, as I actually received communication from both. My best advice is to stay away from anything online that requires you to enter a phone number...quizzes and so forth. They will get you every time. I was lucky enough this time to get a response from them, mostly because of the age of my son. If you read their terms, you have to be 18, and 'double opt in' by verifying that you are who you say you are, and accepting the charges, either by replying to a text or whatever. My boy just took a quiz. I know he didn't reply to anything. He just entered his cell number to get results. Good luck to everyone else who gets sucked into their little web of deception. Everyone scammed by this company needs to band together and put all these companies out of business for good.

Comments

Si
  6th of Apr, 2009
Mobile Messenger - Fraudulent company
Mobile Messenger
mobilemessenger.com

My son got signed up for a premium service on his phone that came from Mobile Messenger. The feature would automatically download at various times in the middle of the night or when he was in school without access to his phone.

I used the Mobile Messenger contact information from their rebuttal letter and got a live customer service rep. They provided an agent name and confirmation number for the contact. The agent removed the phone number from their list of customers and offered a refund which should arrive in 2-6 weeks.

The customer service agent explained how these services can often be confused with free services especially by a youth who is unfamiliar with this sort of premium service. My son claims that he never signed up for anything extra for his phone. His comments sound very similar to the individual who had ringtones show up on his T-Mobile phone within 48 hours of starting his service.

Thanks [redacted] and Mobile Messenger Customer Service. We'll see if the refund comes in and if the charges stop.

Fl
  8th of Apr, 2009
Mobile Messenger - Child Enticement
Mobile Messenger
Wisconsin

Why is it that a 14yr old child can rack up $64.94 just by texting to a subscription service? If I try to add any service to my phone through my carrier they ask for a pin number first. Its amazing companies like Mobile Messenger can charge your carrier but will not do anything to verify that it is the actual owner of the phone they are charging, like asking for a password or pin # from the carrier!!!

Sa
  9th of Apr, 2009
Mobile Messenger - MOBILE MESSENGER
MOBILE MESSENGER

We at Mobile Messenger would like to assist you with your concern or complaint. If you need assistance in regards to being unsubscribed or other related issues, please do not hesitate to contact us. Please call 1-800-416-6129 Monday to Friday 0600 – 1800 US Pacific Time or email escalationsus@sms-helpdesk.com

SANDRA

Bi
  15th of Apr, 2009

Your husband & son must have scored really well on the IQ test.

Cl
  18th of May, 2009

Mobile messenger has been arbriraikly hcagers my account $ 9.99 lous addtional cahges for 25 phone call x15 cantes for 3 months without my knowledge...I cannot get a phone number or contact name.who can i talk to on this problem..

Cl
  18th of May, 2009

CLASS ACTION LAWSUITE AGAINST MOBILE MESSENGER

Ms
  26th of May, 2009

We called three different times to cancel the fraudulent subs-CRAP-tion and discovered every time we called the number (from the actual text message) we were charged again but for a NEW subs-CRAP-tion. Oh these guys are real professionals. I found out from law enforcement that you must call your cell phone provider and they will provide you with the right phone number to call and cancel as well as try to rectify these charges, however they have it down to a science and have no intention to reimburse you or admit to any wrongdoing. The most important thing to do is your cell phone provider will completely block them from texting you again. Shut them down and spread the word.

Ma
  30th of Jun, 2009

I'm up for a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST MOBILE MESSENGER. I'll keep this page in my bookmarks and follow-up. I've kept all of my records and I would love to see this crooks get theirs.

Or
  21st of Sep, 2009

I have been going through the same thing for the past 5 months. I called as soon as I saw the charges and someone told me that they would cancel this thing that I never even signed up for. Conveniently when I got charged again on my phone bill for these unsolicited text messages they had no record of my prior conversation with them. My phone provider had told me they were going to block the text messages but this was done for a month and somehow they got around that as well and started texting me again. My boyfriend had innocently or rather stupidly signed up to find out his IQ. How ironic to get scammed trying to find out how smart you are. Apparently, not as smart as these crooks. Still waiting on reinbursement for this thing for last month, they will not do it for the other months which I think is absolutely ludacris, since I did speak to someone to cancel as soon as I started to get the charges. They need to be sued...

Ma
  1st of Feb, 2010

The fact that consumers have to go through a long, drawn out process to 'unsubscribe' to a 'service' they never knew they were 'subscribing' to in the first place should be illegal. If it isn't, it is highly unethical.

My husband received an unsolicited text message from these scam artists, and didn't even respond, but somehow was 'subscribed' at a rate of $9.95 a month. There was no verification process.

THIS IS SUCH A SCAM IT IS RIDICULOUS!!!

Jo
  24th of Jun, 2010
Mobile Messenger - IQ Test
Arizona

I signed up for IQ that I was unaware was going to charge to my phone bill 9.99. I called T-Mobile and got it reversed. There are so many pretatory companies like this Mobile Messenger we as consumers need to stop this none sense. When on Job search sites look out for this pay attention because they are there to get you. I need to make sure consumers are protected and these companies are taken out of business.

Sp
  23rd of Dec, 2010
Mobile Messenger - I got scammed
6601 Center Drive West Suite 700
LA
California
mobilemessenger.com

I received a text message saying I subscribed to a advertisement service which I didn’t. I been charge by mobile messenger $10 for a service that I never signed for.
As soon as I saw it I took the proper steps to stop the service.
I called the company and they told me that it’s a mistake on verification, They advised me to call sprint and get a refund.
When I called them again rude rep told me I got screwed since I verified the service which I didn’t.
This company is a scam and got verified thru a sms messaging that been hacked.

Ja
  14th of Jun, 2011

We at Mobile Messenger would like to assist you? How ironic? Can you sleep at night?

Mo
  14th of Aug, 2011

MOBILE MESSENGER sucks to the core, i had given my phone number to get job posting notifications not some CRAPPY *guessology* game. They charged me $40 for 2 months when i already deactivated it the first time i got their messages. they are just cheaters and robbers who misguide you to STEAL money from you. If they send me messages again this month I swear i wouldn't hesitate in suing this company.

Bi
  28th of Oct, 2011

These guys are located at 6601 Center Dr W # 700, Los Angeles, CA 90045-1545. They send unsolicited SMS messages to cellular numbers and bill you through your cellular provider.

Call or email your cellular provider and request that they contact you if they receive any charges from this company.

Then, file a complaint with the FCC here: https://esupport.fcc.gov/ccmsforms/form1088.action?form_type=1088G

Let's all hope and pray together that the people involved in this operation bury their children.