MM Text / UNSOLICITED CHARGES

Charges appeared on my cell phone bill this month and they were unsolicited charges for $19.98 from [protected] and Verizone gave me two different names with this phone number: MM Text and Cell Life !
What a rip off !!! They have since blocked future charges !

De

Comments

• Th
      14th of Apr, 2009

Same problem with us. MMText has been hitting our T Mobile bill for two months before I even noticed. My 12 year-old DID look at ringtones and DID download one. The charges for that, I understand (including the 9.99 monthly charge BS). But the mystery charge from MMText 10 days later? What scammers. T-Mobile removed it from bill, blocked future charges, and blocked them from continuing to text my son as well. Beware. And beware of ringtones in general bc almost all of them require a "subscription" for the ringtone to work and the "subscription" is a MONTHLY charge buried in your cell phone bill!

• Eg
      15th of Jul, 2009

I started getting stupid text messages with this phone number 1-800-235-7105. When I checked my cell phone bill I noticed that I had a subscription to MM Text for $9.99 per month. I called AT&T and they removed and canceled the charge, but I don't remember downloading any ring tones or other transactions on my phone in the past month.

• Sc
      22nd of Dec, 2009

Agree a complete rip. Just noticed this on my son's phone bill. Called Cincinnati Bell, and aftering hemming and hauling and my threatening to file a complaint with the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio, they said they would remove the charge, but indicated they could only block if I agreed to pay a $5 monthly parental control service. Also indicated I need to call 800-235-7105 to ask to end some freakin' subscription, so future charges are not added. FYI, Cin.Bell said the charge was coming in as from Mobile Messenger.

• Dy
      28th of Sep, 2012

Had subscription charges for past 2 months, only found out yesterday who 2 are from and still no info on the 3rd. T-Mobile was to credit the charges by next bill cycle. Next bill cycle - no credit - threatening disconnect due to non payment of the bogus charges. From speaking with one of the 3rd party billers and viewing info on the web, anyone who has your cell number can send a text and bill a subscription through a 3rd party to your phone provider. Opening apps that indicate "free" may not be free. Your phone number is available when you open the app. All they have to do is text you and submit a subscription to the 3rd party biller; note, that is just viewing the app, not downloading it. You don't have to answer a text to get subscribed either; deleting or otherwise ignoring the text can enlist a subscription. I would be interested to know how a credit with T-Mobile was obtained, because I've had nothing but inconsistent feedback. Ultimately, it's either pay up unwarranted charges and hope a credit is received, or loose service and be slapped with a early term fee. It is astounding to me that this has happened, and research indicates this is a rampant problem that has been taking place for quite some time. This is not just theft, it is strong arm tactics, no different from organized crime. And I would bet the phone carriers are making $ from this in some way. Why else would they allow billing to your account, when they cannot even determine who the charges are from.