Mitsubishi / WD-Y65 Projection TV / $249.00 lamp went out in 13 months!

Illinois, United States Review updated:
4.8
I purchased a 65 inch Mitsubishi projection tv on 11/06/06. It was delivered to my home on 11/10/06. So far, I have had 2 parts that failed within 13 months of this purchase. The first part was a "heat sensor," and I was told that it was a part that frequently failed and the serviceman wouldn't have to diagnose the problem, because it was a known fact that the heat sensors in this particular model, MODEL NO. WD-Y65, had this problem ALL the time. The part was replaced by a contracted repair service for Mitsubishi, but it took a very long time for them to receive the part and several phone calls to learn the status of the order for the heat sensor. Now, after having that part replaced after several weeks of waiting, I now have another part that has failed. As of 12/10/07, I have contacted 2 of their so-called dealers regarding a lamp part, PART # 915P049010. The one dealer located in Fairview Heights, Illinois informed me that they will no longer service a Mitsubishi product that was not purchased through them. Then, I phoned another dealer in Collinsville, Illinois, but they have not responded. So, I now decided to just go online and order this lamp part myself. This one small lamp part, PART #915P049010, sells for $249.00 AND IS ON BACKORDER!!! Can you believe it? This television is a LEMON. Apparently, this LAMP PART and HEAT SENSOR are FAULTY from the beginning. I just read in the owners manual that the lamp may be functional for a year, depending on the use of the television, etc. Now, isn't that just a fine piece of information? This television cost me $2,849.99 plus tax in November, 2006, and now is continuing to cost me. I DID NOT TAKE OUT THE EXTENDED WARRANTY with CIRCUIT CITY, BECAUSE I SAID TO THE SALESPERSON, "IF THE PRODUCT IS AS GOOD AS YOU ARE STATING IT IS, I DO NOT NEED AN ADDITIONAL WARRANTY!!!" Now, I have to eat those words...

Disgusted in Illinois,
Mrs. Daryl O. Ryan

p.s. Never again will I purchase a Mitsubishi. I have a LG 42" LCD wall mount tv in my bedroom and a LG 52" Plasma wall mount tv in my living room. There will never be another Mitsubishi tv in this home, as long as I'm residing here... nothing but problems... a TRUE LEMON!!!

Comments

Va
  25th of Dec, 2007

Mitsubishi Projection TV - No extended warranty, no help...
Mitsubishi America
www.mitsubishi-tv.com

I would expect to get more than 5 years out of a TV that I paid over $3000 for.

Mitsubishi's stand is no extended warranty, no help...

Come to find out it's a problem with many of their TV's of this kind.

I once believed in their products, now I don't...
Sp
  28th of Dec, 2007
You never said what was wrong with your tv. A LCD projection tv needs a change of the light bulb once in a while. I think it lasts about 3 years or so depending on usage. If you got 5 years out of your bulb that's good. You can usually replace them yourself. You just have to buy the bulb.
Kr
  29th of Dec, 2007
I have a 57' DLP TV. I have am on my 3rd lamp going out. I bought it in July of 2006. I have contacted an attorney. I get no where when I call, I have never called somewhere and not been able to speak to a manager! I will never buy a Mitsubishi product again!!!
Ja
  11th of Jan, 2008
I have had the same things happen to my 65" Mitsubishi DLP. In fact, the parts went out in the same order as Mrs. Daryl O.Ryan's. Within just two months of having the TV, the repairman had to repair the heat sensor. The TV kept shutting off, and the message was that the ventilation was poor. The guy also said these TV's were known for this problem. Then just last week, I fell asleep on my couch while watching TV. The next thing I know, I woke-up to the TV turning off. I knew right away it was the Projection bulb, because the red light, that indicates a bulb problem was on. I have only had my TV for 6 months. Because I bought it through Aaron's, I am not only out a TV, I also find myself wondering if in fact my TV was new, or a floor model that had several hours on the bulb. I am supposed to be paying for a brand new TV, but instead I too am paying for a "lemon". A really big, and expensive " Lemon". To top it off, I was suppose to host a viewing party for the NFL Playoffs, but at this rate I am beginning to wonder if it will even be fixed by the time the Superbowl rolls around. It's really hard to make a payment on something that keeps breaking.

James M.
California
Je
  14th of Jan, 2008
Same problem here. I've had my WD-Y65 for less than a year and the bulb is gone. I bought the Extended warranty from Circuit City, and they went straight to Mitzubishi for the replacement part. Supposed to be 1-2 business days for delivery, I opted to install myself, rather than wait for a Tech. I'm an engineer so it should be easy.

First I've heard about a heat sensor, so I'll have to study the manual and make sure I'm familiar with it.

We'll see how this works out.

Jeffrey H.
California
Sc
  19th of Jan, 2008
I'll tell everyone and will NEVER buy a Mitsubishi TV AGAIN, I bought a 57" WD-57731 at ULTIMATE ELECTRONIC 7/30/2006, thank God i got a exstended warrenty, but their are still issues that go along with serv. contract!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ma
  19th of Jan, 2008
I have the WD-Y65. Bought in March 2007 . In July the first lamp went. Got one thru Mitzubishi .. two weeks ago that one went.. Just got a new one. the next one will cost 250.00 because the one year warranty will be up. But I noticed on the Mitzubishi Web site that the heat sensor on this model has an extended warranty for three years. Seems to me the heat sensor must have something to do with the Lamp blowing.. So they should extend that warranty too! Maybe they should be liable to give us new better working TV's.
Ju
  11th of Feb, 2008
Seeing as how we all have the same problems with the same TVs and poor service I wanted to see if anyone is or knows and attorney that might have some answers as to what kind of recourse we might have. We've all spent too much money for these TVs to have this many on going problems and costs. This is a large reputable company that people expect to get quality products from, but it doesn't seem that this is the case any longer.

I purchased my 52" DLP in 8/2006, and my lamp went out on the Saturday night before the Super Bowl (2/2/08), for which I had a pretty good sized party planned. When I called Mitsubishi on Monday morning (had to wait until then because the international company of Mitsubishi is closed on the weekends), they told me that while I was out of warranty they would send me a new lamp within two business days if I fax them my proof of purchase, which I did first thing Tuesday morning. I then called on Wednesday to verify that they received my fax and was told that they did and that I would receive my new lamp on Thursday by 5:00 pm. When no lamp arrived on Thursday I called back again and was told that the department that is able to track my shipments closed at 5:00 pm, and that someone would call me back in the morning. Friday afternoon rolled around and still no lamp and no return call, so I called back again making sure it was before 5:00 so that I could talk to someone in America, but they said that the department stops taking inbound calls at 4:00 to make call backs and that I should get a call that evening. Nothing.

Finally this afternoon (Monday) I called at 2:00 to be sure that I got someone, and after getting the run around from another service rep in the Phillipines for 15 minutes even though I told him I wanted to be transferred to an American rep right away, I spoke to someone in the Company's parts department in Irvine, CA. He told me that the best he could do for me is offer me a replacement lamp at a reduced price of $200 which I would then receive 3-5 business days from tomorrow. This is after being told that I would receive a free replacement lamp in 2 business days last Tuesday. After explaining to him that its not my problem that the people over seas are giving out the wrong information he agreed to ship the lamp for free, but it will still take 3-5 days. When I asked to speak to a supervisor, he said that he'd have to put in a request to have a supervisor review my file and call me back in two days. I've never called somewhere and not been able to talk to a supervisor.
Kr
  19th of Feb, 2008
I just wanted to let everyone know that we got our TV fixed. After I looked up a corporate number, my husband spoke with one of the upper management people. We had a TV repair man come out and the problem was with a thermal sensor (which is a new thing that is covered under warranty). It cost us $65.00 and Mitsubishi is reimbursing us. We received the new lamp shortly after. Do I know yet if the problem is fixed.... no. But I don't know what else to do. I will NEVER buy one of these TVs again!!

Oh also the TV repair man said the biggest problems with these TVs is dust. He recommended to remove the back (that they say never to do on it) and lightly remove the dust... he used a little vacuum. He said to do this every two months.

Hope this helped
Ka
  23rd of Feb, 2008
I bought a mitsubishi WD-Y65 in November of 2006, I've also had the repair people out to fix the T.V. once for the sensor and
I had the lamp blow which was a joke to get the part because it was on backorder also. The latest problem is with the inner glass
and it has a crack with about seven fractures moving outward from the center, have any of you had this problem? I know nothing has happened to the unit from us because it happened while we were gone.

I also have had problems with the piture quality, I can't use 720 or 1080 of course all I get is pink lines that run vertically across the screen. After the new lamp was installed the piture is fuzzy, just not the crisp and clear one that I expect. Let me know if someone talks to an attorney, I might even myself. Thanks for the support. Karl Bomberger LaGrande OR 97850.
Ca
  12th of Jul, 2008
I too own (unfortunately) the WD-Y65 with the bad thermal sensor that keeps turning the tv off. I just replaced the lamp- paid only $106 which included shipping. Worked great for two days that then the thermal sensor stated shutting the tv down again.

I tried to work on the sensor... per excellent advice I found on C/NET from someone but I cannot locate/dont know what the thermal sensor looks like. I have the entire back panel out, the lamp out, and have looked all around but cannot locate the "white rectangular shaped piece which has red and black wires coming out of it, etc... if Mitsubishi would just send out pictures of the thermal sensor that is causing all the trouble (and probably the premature lamp failure) with simple logical instructions, they would make more friends out of past (and current) very unhappy customers. This is my second big screen projection tv and I swear on the bible that I will never buy another Mitsu in my life. I too should have bought the Samsung DLP or the Samsung LCD!

I also agree that a class action suit should be aimed right at Mitsubishi. I should have known better as the last Mitsubishi car I bought (a 4 cylinder Galant) burned a quart of oil each month even though I changed the oil frequently. Also had trouble with wheels practically falling off (stud broke off on one te wheels). I should have known: Don't buy Mitsubishi Products!@#%^&$^$^#&#&#&&*
Sh
  13th of Aug, 2008
i have a wd y65 too. Just an FYI on some of the above reports. First, there was a recall on these models, you can get the heat sensor replaced for free within two years of purchase. As far as the bulbs are concerned, just google for wd y63 bulbs and tons of sites come up that sell them. they are around $100 bucks and its easy to change yourself. the bulbs will always wear out on projection tv's. thats why they have a cartridge in the back to make it easy to change
Ti
  14th of Sep, 2008
I also have a WD-Y65 which we purchased 12/06 I know the date well since I just had to call for another bulb. The first one was in August 2007. Prior to that I had to have a Circut City repairman come out because the TV overheated and shut off. We did purchase the extended warranty and am very glad we did. However, the first time I called the customer service line for Mitsubishi I got someone from I suppose India because I just couldn't understand them at all and asked to speak with someone else. I ended up with a gentleman from Canada who was as helpful as he could be. So the whole process was very frustrating. Today the guy wanted all kinds of information and I just couldn't help myself and started yelling at him because he was hard to understand and I made him repeat himself a lot of times until I could. Then I had to fax mitsubishi consumer relations proof of purchase from 2006 believe it or not and now I have to wait for them to very my information and call me back in 2-3 business until they send my part in another 2-3 business days!!! WHAT A BUNCH OF CRAP AND A CRAP PRODUCT!!!
Al
  21st of Sep, 2008
I HAVE A 2004 DIAMOND MITSUBISHI WS-65713 I THINK AND I DID BUY THE EXTENTED WARRANTY AND I MUST SAY THE ONES THAT RUN IT ARE NO GOOD. IT TOOK ME 2 HR. JUST TO GET TO TALK TO SOME ONE ON THE PHONE AND THEY SAID SOME ONE WOULD CALL ME BACK WIHT THEN A 1 HR.BUT NEVER DID I HAD TO CALL BACK AND 2 HR. LATER I GOT TALK TO A PERSON AND HE SET ME UP TO GET IT FIXED AND THE PLACE CALLED AND SAID IT WOULD BE AT LEAST A WEEK OR SO AND THEY WOULD LOOK AT IT AND THEN IF IT NEEDS A PART THAT THEY WOULD HAVE TO GET OK FROM THE EXTENDED WARRANTY TO ORDER THE PARTAND IT WOULD BE AT LEAST A WEEK I HAVE THE LITTLE GREEN LIGHT BLINKING AND NOTHING ELSE WORKS SO WE WELL SEEE WHAT HAPPENS AND LET YOU KNOW IF ANYONE KNOWS SOMETHING PLEASE LET ME KNOW THANKS
Sa
  5th of Nov, 2008
We bought our 56" Mitzubishi in August of 2006. In early January 2007 the first lamp went out. Called Mitzubishi and the place we bought it. Mitz said they would send a new lamp in 2 business days. (They did) In the meantime, the place we paid our $2700.00 to didn't want to loan us a lamp for the weekend, but finally agreed to. Four months later, the lamp burned out again. This time Mitz said there must be a problem, and they called the The place we bought it and told them so. They, in turn, called me and said IF the lamp went out again, call them right away and they would figure out what the problem was. Well, to make a long story short, that lamp plus 3 more plus the thermal sensor have burned out, and nobody but me seems to care. We did buy the extended warranty, but I think this whole TV should either be replaced, or we should get our money back. I welcome comments from others with the same problem. Sandy Banjoff, McCook, Nebraska
Mi
  8th of Nov, 2008
WD-y65 Failed for the second time. Found a bulb for $124 on eBay but these problems should be fixed by Mitu. Everyone go to the BBB and file a complaint. Maybe with enough complaints we can get somewere.
Om
  18th of Nov, 2008
As an owner of model WD-57731 DLP Mitsubichi, I've experienced frustration due to replacing the lamp for a thir time. I have owned the TV less than two years and should not have to put great expense to keep it running.
The reception when properly operation was incredible with vibrant colors and perfect clearness.
I recently experienced embarrassment recently when I had guest visit us and the TV was constantly going off. I had replaced the lamp not even a full week and this occured. I have previously owned a MITSUBICHI high def rear projection TV which lasted several years and never had any problems.
After all this disappointment, I've come to the conclusion to purchase another TV brand and never even think of buying a Mitsubichi product ever again.
Za
  10th of Dec, 2008
We purchased a Mitsubishi WD-Y65 in 2007 and have continued to be agravated with the TV turning off because of air flow problems. Installing a large fan behind has sometimes worked but not any more.
If Mitsubishi wants to keep its good name it should send simple instructions to the retailers who can contact the customers hopefully, as to how this problem can be addressed.
It is un fair to sell an expensive TV, that starts having this problem, within months of its purchase.
Mi
  22nd of Dec, 2008
If you are within 2 years of your purchase call Mitsubishi (1-800-343-8505 Option 5) The Warrenty has been extended for WDY65. Also it is the Thermal Sensor that is defective and they are replacing that as well.
Cj
  26th of Jan, 2009
WE HAVE A 65 IN. ALSO AND ARE GETTING READY TO REPLACE THE BULB FOR THE SECOND TIME IN LESS THAN 2 YEARS. NOW I KNOW WHY THEY PUT THE RED LIGHT ON THE FRONT OF THE TV. IF THIS WAS A GOOD TV TO START WITH THERE WOULD BE NO NEED FOR A RED LIGHT.
DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERE IS A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST MITT.?????????

Mitsubishi Motors Corporation Logo Mitsubishi Motors Corporation