Midwest National Life Insurance of Tn. and Mega Life Insurance / false advertising

1 9151Boulevard 28North Richland Hills, TX, United States Review updated:

This company runs ads on the Television and Radio that they have affordable health insurance. They make a point of having affordable premiums.
I have had health insurance with this Company since 2002, before that we were with Mega Life which has the exact same address. They require you to join an Alliance for Affordable Services that is over $200.00 a year. ( They don't tell you that you can cancel that membership after the first year) We are self employed and have to buy our own insurance. The premium in 2002 was $4906.04. It is now over $9000.00 a year. It has gone up every year. During this time I had colon cancer in 2003, my husband had prostate cancer 2007. I have paid out more for his medical than the insurance company will pay. They have a limit of $1800.00 on out patient surgury. When we took out this insurance the doctors were not doing as much outpatient surgury and we didn't have a clue that it would be a problem. When you have cancer you cannot switch insurance companies. This company will start you out with a premium you can afford and then raise it every year till you can't afford it.

Comments

• Er
      7th of Mar, 2008

This is what happens to you when you purchase health insurance based upon price. Mega actually has some really good policies but before 2007, then plans were scheduled plans. Now they are major medical with true stop losses. Too many people buy on price. When you buy just on price, you will lose on price. Everyone-read your policies front to back, make an informed decision. Mega's plans as of 2007 are great, but before, they were "affordable" scheduled plans. Blue Cross is no better.

• Mi
      17th of Mar, 2008

I have been doing insurance billing for doctors for 18 years. I have yet to receive a payment from Mega Life/MidWest National as of yet. They sell policies that cover nothing. They are a scam. I've seen many self-employed persons go bankrupt from their medical bills & MidWest just walks away with their premium & leaves the patient to pay all the medical bills. How they have been allowed to sell these ridiculous policies to people is unbelieveable! How do they sleep at night knowing how many people depended on them to provide medical coverage when they don't???

• Pa
      30th of Apr, 2008

My son went back to college, I contacted and agent is SC about health insurance for him. I was not concerned about price, she assured me this was comprehensive coverage. My son has has 3 pancreatitis attacks in the last year and had to go to the emergency room... now I find out that emergency room treatment for an illness is not covered... my son is left with over $40, 000 in medical bills. I agree this is a rip off. I wish I could sue them.

30th of Sep, 2008

I didn't return to work after having my third child. My husband work at home as a freelance artist. So we needed insurance. I agree Mega Life was one of the cheapest monthly rates. Will we only had them as our insurance for 5 months. In that time I had to go to the emergency room for a kidney stone attack. Needless to say, Mega paid $26.64 towards my bill. It was not a medical emergency. So now since I received no bills from the hospital or any denial papers from Mega, my bill has gone to a collection agency.
    Also I had to pay full price for all my prescriptions. Two of my family members take ADHD medication, so that in itself was costly.
    I have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, against the agent who sold us the policy.
    It is "good" to hear stories from others, so I no longer feel like I am the only one who has been taken.
    As Pat Scanlan said, "I wish I could sue", also.

• Ec
      13th of Apr, 2009

Mega still does not have a "true" stop loss. They provide only $100 for doctor visits while in the hospital and only for one visit a day. If the doctor has to visit more than once (and they charge more than $100 each time), in a day (and most do), then you pay 100% and it DOES NOT apply towards your stop loss. Mega is terrible insurance and this is coming from a very happy ex-agent.

• Bo
      11th of Jun, 2009

I wrote to the white house, the California State attorney general and the Better Business Bureau. You can write to all of them online. The white house form is very easy to navigate. They only way the ### are going to be held accountable is if more and more people complain about them!

• Do
      24th of Jun, 2009

I think it is a crime when a bunch of agents get on the internet to slam their competition in order to gain their business. There are limits to some of the plans mentioned but that is all explained when people sign up. You have to acknowlwdge that you understand by intializing or signing up for coverage! I have had the policies and ahve had no surprises. the company has always paid properly. As for those who bought the plans, why didn't you spend more money and get a plan that was Major Medical if that was the coverage you sought. My bet is you couldn't afford it and had you not gotten the plan you did your bills would have put you in backruptcy! Count your blessings and quit trying to blame everyone else.

• Mk
      22nd of Oct, 2010

Recently, the Los Angeles City Attorney’s Office announced an enforcement action against Mega, Mid-West and HealthMarkets.

• Bj
      27th of Nov, 2010

I'm in Chicago and I say screw dealing with these guys, I have Geico for auto insurance, I used Gizmo something for my health insurance and YourLifeSolution.com for my life insurance.

I didn't have to meet with some hack agent and I know that I have great coverage. With the internet being so prolific how can it be still logical to meet someone for this simple stuff?

• Sp
      11th of May, 2011

My boy friend has had this insurance for 20 so years and has had 3 or less doctors visits a year and just recently he had to go to the hospital and has need surgery on his back and they called Mid west and they said they will cover all but 2thousand worth and they lied. He has been getting bills from the hospital every since. They are liars and frauds and i would not recognmend them to anybody. How can they do this to someone that has had them more then a decade and paid more into the isurance then they say they will cover. Who do we report them to?