Microsoft Xbox 360 / console breaks five times - microsoft refuses to replace or refund

1 One Microsoft Way, Redmond, WA, United States Review updated:

Dear Microsoft,

My Xbox 360 has - within one year - died five times. I have been calling and writing trying to find someone there at Microsoft who can help me.

I'm a loyal customer who has spent thousands of dollars on your console and it's HDDVD add-on and games.

Four times I've sent my broken console in for repair and four times you haven't repaired it correctly. This last repair job lasted only 11 days!

When I purchased your extended warranty I had no idea how many times I'd have to use it!

I was a good sport four times but I can't go through this again. I've asked for either a NEW console or for you to return my money.

Your representative Jessica M called me today to inform me that you will not replace the console and you will not refund my purchase and to let me know that there is not anyone else who will talk to me.

I want to believe this is a big misunderstanding and I want to believe that this isn't a con game.

Would someone who can help me resolve this situation please call or write? I told Jessica M that I didn't want to seek counsel and blow this up any larger than it already is. But I don't think she cares or understands. I'm hoping somebody who receives this email will step up to the plate.

Greg I

My second ref # [protected]

Va

Comments

10th of Sep, 2007
    Microsoft Xbox 360 - xbox 360 is driving me crazy!
    Australia

I brought a xbox 360 from david jones no more then 6 months ago and everything was ok, until i got a set of red lights on the front. I simply restarted my xbox and the problem disappeared. Now however about one month ago it start telling me that a disc was dirty or there was not even a xbox game inserted. When i tried to play one mind you it happened even when it was a new game it didn't bother me at first, but now it has multiplied by 100% which results me opening and closing it about fifty times before i get to play, but around a week ago a new problem jumped up. Now when i place my disc on the tray and close it says its reading, then 2 seconds later it says - open tray. What the hell now? I call up the help line i give details and be put on held for around twenty minutes and the last thing she asks is - do i have the receipt and when i say no i thought this was a good product that was not going to stuff up in 6 months. She then tells me there is nothing she can do. I think that is crap!

Beware people!

17th of Oct, 2008

It crazy ain't it my xbox broke for the second time and the won't just replace it. things like this make me want a ps3 despite the extra cost.

20th of Oct, 2008
    Microsoft Xbox 360 - repair
    Microsoft
    Pennsylvania

I recently got the red rings, nothing new there! So I send it back and Microsoft repairs it. They then tell me it will be at my house in 5 more days. Well 10 days later it still ain't here! Everyday during the ten days I called and it kept saying 5 more days. So I call again and a Microsoft agent tells me it's the fault of UPS. So I call UPS and find out that Microsoft never even sent my XBOX 360. UPS never received it to ship to me. I call again and mention the fact I know they lied to me about it being the fault of UPS. Then I get put on hold for ten minutes just to get hung up on. Yet again I call and finally a female agent helps me after 15 minutes of waiting on hold again. I'm thinking finally some resolve, aaaaahhhhhhhhh!!! but no she tells me it's a problem and to call back in 3-5 days for more information! Meaning she couldn't tell me nothing and I may find out in 3-5 days if I call back and go through all this again! NOT TO MENTION THAT THE REASON I HAD TO SEND IT BACK IS BECAUSE MICROSOFT USED A CHEAP MANUFACTURER TO SAVE MONEY INSTEAD OF PROVIDING A QUALITY PRODUCT! Now they are probably paying more in repairs, re-embersments and mailing than if it would have been done right the first time. To anyone thinking of buying a game system I'm going to reccommend PS3, no bugs and better graphics. XBOX 360 definately got more and better games, but all the bugs, lag, and customer service issues (which you will surely have to deal with due to everyone getting the red rings of death) make for a terribble product experience. If Microsoft ever tells me whats going on and gives me my XBOX 360 back I'll take it straight to Gamestop/EB Games and trade it in for a Playstation 3, gladly paying the difference in cost for a better experience.

• 09
      13th of Feb, 2009
    Microsoft Xbox 360 - xbox 360 has had red ring 20 times!
    United Kingdom

I bought an Xbox 360 console a few years back, and after 3 months it started switching off and flashing 4 red lights over and over again. Strangely, it would re-boot itself and be fine, (apart from game saves which would keep corrupting) until last summer when it finnally refused to work at all. I was playing a game and the machine finally went and switched off for the 20th time. The disc drive would not open, it would switch on and do nothing but go on to where it says XBOX 360 then turn off and re-boot. I then set it off to Microsoft, who charged me £20 to phoned me back to say that there was a main board fault and to come to my local, unhelpful game store to collect it. I have just recently purchased a new one, and it has already started to do this.

Sincerely,
    An disgruntled Microsoft customer.

18th of Mar, 2009
    Microsoft Xbox 360 - inferior product
    Chicago
    Illinois

Why doesn't the RICH corporation, Microsoft, recall it's inferior product XBOX 360? We are on our 4th one. Microsoft knows that there is an overheating problem on ALL of their XBOX 360's. Sure, you can keep returning it to them to fix (or not). You have to wait 4-6 weeks to see if they return one that works or not. I just returned a refurbished one today, to where I purchased it from. We had for less than 1 month before it experienced the overheating problems. The store I got it from has an exchange policy if anything should happen within 30 days. I swapped it for a "used" one, hoping the same thing doesn't happen again. My son is actually using one that had the "red ring of death" to experiment with. It seems as though there are several cheap things that can be done to alleviate the overheating of the unit. If all else fails, I guess it would make a nice door stop. Microsoft should be ashamed. They had to hurry and get it out before PlayStation 3. Unfortunately, my son wanted one right away and he saved up his own money for it, so he got the dreaded XBOX 360. PlayStation 3 held off releasing their system early because they experienced the same problem but took the time to fix it before releasing it. I know I won't be getting any Microsoft products in the near future.

• Br
      23rd of Mar, 2009

I got a xbox wen they fist cum out now it is broke just showing for reed ri ngs so could you email me plzz [protected]@hotmail.co.uk thank you very much

• Bo
      7th of May, 2009

ps3 get traffic light of death bro mine did so i stamped on it my xbox HAD the 474 error 1 DAY over the worrenty they ned a life time warrtey realy i fied my e74 eorro ect cut a hole in top put a fan the xboxs are to packed they need room to cool down

• Sg
      15th of Jun, 2009
    Microsoft Xbox 360 - crashing consoles
    Microsoft
    Mineral Wells
    Texas

Like a multitude of people, I have had bad experiences with the Xbox 360. I have had four, waiting on my fifth one. They each last about six months. When my second one crashed, Microsoft support claimed that the problems were insignificant to the majority that worked just fine! Really--look around the internet--problems everywhere. I paid for a brand new one in 2017 and I get sent back repaired older models--that eventually have the same problems. I try to contact support to get answers--No resposnse. I just want to know why this keeps happening. You can't just keep treating the symptoms, you have to find a cure. Loyal consumers deserve better than this. And like so many others, a free month of live is not good enough anymore. I am on the verge to swithching to Playstation. I wish I could ask a Microsoft executive if he would like to have a brand new car that kept breaking down every six months. Would he keep that car and remain loyal to that dealership?

• Da
      15th of Jun, 2009

Terrible console with good games, unfortunately, which keeps the system alive in the market.

I have sent mine in for the infamous "3 rings of death" failure twice to have it fixed, and a 3rd may be on the way. I am happy that so far their service in fixing the machine has been fast and without problems (except for licensces for DLC after getting it back--but I noticed they gave me back the same console each time (i put a tiny mark on one just to see whether or not it was the same one. It was.

The damage is almost always 90% of the time caused by overheating. The heat sinks (whatever they are called) are made cheaply (i dont know if they still are, but they were with the original model), so they overheat very fast.

Keep the console in an aired out place, on its side, prefferably elevated off the ground (I put mine on a large book roughly the size of the console) and make sure all the little air holes on all sides are not blocked. Keep a breeze moving through the room, a fan works, but above all else make sure the console is not in a closed space. Also a factor is how long the system is on, I would never leave it on for more than 6 hours max.

• De
      24th of Sep, 2009
    Microsoft Xbox 360 - problems, problems, problems
    Microsoft Xbox 360
    xbox.com

We purchased an xbox 360 in November of 2017.On may 4, 2017 the unit stopped working.Because unit was well within the warranty time frame we called. They instructed us to be looking for a prepaid box to send unit out to be repaired.When we received unit some 2 weeks later not only did it not work, but it was a different unit. We verified this 2 ways, one serial numbers of originally purchased unit wasn't the same, two we spoke to repair center and they admitted that unit sent back was indeed a refurbished unit. On original call when problem first occurred at no time were we told that a replacement unit would be sent. They had us believe that our original unit would be repaired and sent back.We sent back replacement unit and some two weeks later we received the unit we now are having problems with. It only worked for 3 weeks this time. We called back to customer service and spoke to yet another manager. They are now telling us that all they can do is have us send this refurbished unit back and they will send us another replacement unit. This will be a total of 3 attempts to rectify issue with no luck. I feel that we've been more than fair in letting them take care of this warranty issue, and now its time for them to stand behind their product or give me my money back so that I can replace unit myself. Ive provided them with all the necessary paperwork and have told them I can provide proof of purchase.There has been no mention of at this point sending us a new unit to take care of issue of replacements not working at which they have tried 3 times to correct. Please can someone help or guide us to see what is our next course of action.

• Vm
      15th of Feb, 2010

Microsoft is rediculous...I have gotten 4 xbox 360 's in the last 3 years it like they build them to only last a year at most...just to make mor money. It's not like the game console is cheap! They need to get it together and either stop making them and stick to OS or make them to last more than a year! They Suck...

• Tr
      25th of May, 2010

what did you do, wrap it in a blanket and jam it into a small space?? i have an ORIGINAL release xbox 360 that i bought in dec 2017, NEVER had a red ring. ever.

• Wh
      12th of Jul, 2010

As I've stated in similar complaints about switching to the PS3, you're switching to another system with a whole set of problems similar to the 360. Not only that, Sony charges you more for anything over the warranty - at least $150.

Have some [censor]ing patience. You're not dying without your 360.