Microsoft / shame on you microsof

I recently purchased an XBox Live Gold membership for my son at a cost of $99 and spent $100 for a wireless adapter all as a present for my son.

When he attempted to activate his membership he inadvertently typed his birthdate incorrectly. As a result he is unable to log onto any of the games of his choice despite their rating.

The next day I attempted to contact XBOX Live customer support only to find out they were closed.

The following business day I attempted to contact them again. This is where the real fun begins. I explained what happened and that I needed either to:

1) fix the account so that my son can play some games or
2) transfer my membership to a new gamertag so that we can set it up properly to play the games online that he has been playing or
3) refund the subscription so that we can purchase a new one

I spoke with John, Chris, Richard, Mariam, Ben, Alfred, (none of these folks were actually in the United States and there was a substantial language barrier) Tiffany and many others. All of them apologized profusely, but explain that there was absolutely nothing they could do to help us. We tried for 8 frustrating hours to get this resolved to no avail. It is unbelievable to me that Microsoft, one of the largest companies in the world, is either not competent enough to solve this issue or cares so little for it's customer that they choose not to. Either way, I am in the process of selling the Xbox and all games and accessories so that I can buy my son a PS3. And as much as I love Outlook, Excel, Powerpoint etc…I am absolutely looking into alternatives.

How sad. Shame on you Microsoft.

N  24th of Apr, 2009 by
xbox live gold membership is 50 bucks at best buy
N  2nd of Jun, 2009 by
open office is the best alternative to microsoft office. :) as far as i know
N  2nd of Jun, 2009 by
My boyfriend had a problem with his Xbox with a setting for a game. Suffice it to say after he spoke to three people (non of them in the IUS I'm sure) none of whom had ever touched an Xbox they kept telling him his Xbox had to be fixed or it was the disk, which it clearly was not. His friend came over to our house and was able to fix it in about 5 minutes flat. I would recommend either speaking with someone who has an Xbox, even one of your son's friends, or maybe going into a Best Buy or a store that sells the Xbox and seeing if anyone there knows how to fix it. Microsoft customer service is horrible!
A  2nd of Dec, 2009 by
I know this is a rather old complaint; but I'd just like to add that Microsoft has no right to limit the content available to people, as that is the responsibility of the parents. Their doing so is illegal, as they are to offer the same service to anyone, child or not.

I hope you got this settled :).

Microsoft Corporation Logo Microsoft Corporation