Michael Modena / Web Designer Steals Your Money!!! SCAM ARTIST!!!

1 po box 41471, 06515New Haven, CT, United States Review updated:
Phone: 203-987-5237 or 203-987-5529

My company hired Michael Modena to build a website for us back in February.. We are a company offering web sites to musicians, and this was our first client. The site was near completion, and he asked for $150 US more to add a store to the site. He is always very quick to send a paypal money request, which we paid promptly, thinking nothing of it.

We then sent him $175 US as a 50% down payment for our own company website. As we put our clients first, we didnt say much when no work was completed on this site for over 3 weeks.

We got a 2nd client, which we paid him $250 US for a 50% down payment on as well to build their site.

The first site was uploaded to the client's hosting, and that's when Michael slowly dropped out of contact with us.

He never supplied us with the original flash files for the site or information on how to update it, as promised.

After 4 weeks of no work being seen on our personal site, we asked what was going on. He told us he was having problems with his main source of income, another web design company called Simple Season. But he assured me that as of the next day, I would have him all to myself, implying he was quitting that job.

That was the last time I heard from him. We have emailed him repeatedly about our sites with no reply. We lost a LOT of money to him, and because we had 2 clients involved as well, we were left hanging having to explain why their sites could not be updated and would be a few more weeks to be finished. We hired new designers to fix all the problems, figure out how to udpate the existing site, and finish off the jobs he left undone. All that money was out of OUR pocket.

Michael Modena made off with $585 US of our money, and after extensive research by our lawyer we have found we are certainly not the first people he has ripped off. His father is Jack Modena, of the company Modena & Son Moving in CT, also goes by the name of Rent Arms & Legs Moving. This kid is in his early twenties, by the way.

Possible contact info for his dad's moving business:

274 Monticello Dr

Michael Modena's bday July 1st, 1989

mike modena
po box 41471
New Haven, CT 06515

ripped off someone for ram sticks

Mike has paypal accounts under the following emails:

mike@phantom9.us
michael@phantom9.us
michael@michaelmodena.com

We have disputed our payments to him with Paypal, escalated the claims, and they have sided with us. However, they were unable to recover the funds.

We now plan to take legal action against him, and will not drop this until Mike Modena pays us back in full. We've filed reports against him with the FTC and IC3 and continue new actions every day until we get our refund.

I hope that we can help people to not be ripped off by this young scam artist by posting our experience here. We would be happy to speak with anyone who has also been scammed, if you are a lawyer, or would like to build a class action suit. Email us at info@getfamousproductions.com

Thanks,

Alison
Burnaby, British Columbia
Canada

Michael Modena

Comments

• Bo
      18th of May, 2009

I hope you get this worked out. As far as the flash files you are referring to, if you mean the .swf files he should have given you those, if you are referring to the .fla files he is not obligated to give to you those unless you specifically stated so in the contract you had with this person. By law the artist does not have to give you the working files in this case the .fla files even though you paid him to do the work. He is only required to give you the end result of the work.

Just a tip for the future, I am not defending the ###.

18th of May, 2009

Thanks guys, I actually emailed his father last night and now today I received an email from Mike!

He says that he will refund me the money so I will keep you posted on this situation.

Bob, not getting the .fla isnt really the main issue.. just an added frustration. he did promise to provide us with 'how-to videos' on how to update that first site tho so the user could update their content, and he never did come through on that. luckily another designer was able to figure it out but I had to pay them obviously.

18th of May, 2009

just checked, his website suddenly disappeared... http://michaelmodena.info/

• Bo
      18th of May, 2009

That's great that you got it worked out. I'm sure dad didn't like seeing his company's name associated with such a bad experience.

• Ca
      18th of May, 2009

getfamous...what is his dad's email...we got scammed the same way...almost to a T.

18th of May, 2009

Mike's dad's name is Jack Modena (google him, you'll find multiple sites where he has profiles, businesses, etc) and his email is sixwheel@hotmail.com

I wish you the best of luck Catia, and please let me know if there's any way we can help you.

Add us to your list.

7th of Jun, 2009

seriously osty? he scammed you too?????

btw, we never got a refund from him.

7th of Jun, 2009

He sure did. We hired him last June. We never went live with the website because we were still working on it and not sure of the layout. This spring we hired him to make changes. Paid out $750. Then early May had a meeting and wanted to add things and make some tweaking changes to the site. Through paypal we paid $700. Said it would be done 2-3wks. Kept emailing...no answer. Finally he contacted us on this past Friday and said people he hired didn't do the work. We told him we wanted our money back and the files. Had someone else to do the work. He won't refund the money. Said he gave us some freebies...did I mention he's related to a relative of ours? We didn't ask for those "freebies" which is bull...we paid that last payment for future work, not the stuff he "gave" us. Anyway, field a complaint with paypal and I know they can't get us our money back but wanted to file it anyway. Hopefully someone else will be spared from this guy scamming people. For such a young person, he isn't starting his business career very well.

7th of Jun, 2009

oh man. i'm sorry that this kid keeps getting away with it. and despite his dad knowing whats going on, there's still nothing than can be done.

except we are taking legal action. otsy, if you are interested in being involved or at least dont mind us mentioning you as another victim, please email me at info@getfamousproductions.com

• Dz
      15th of Jun, 2009

I had the same exact problem with this kid Mike Modena. I paid him $200 for website design and 1 year of hosting which a great deal. I paid him. He actually did a great job designing the site EXCEPT there were a few minor spelling errors. So I emailed and called and emailed and called no response and no changes made. It took ages and I didn't want to go public with site with these stupid errors. I run a small video production company catering towards corporate and commercial clients and this was just unacceptable. AFTER WEEKS OF NO RETURNED CALLS OR EMAILS I FINALLY HAD TO GET IN TOUCH WITH HIS MOTHER TO GET TO MIKE. I FINALLY PULLED OUT ON HIM and did send me the code for site but STILL WAS COMPLETELY UNPROFESSIONAL. I believe he was in high school at the time... Like I TOLD HIS MAMA WHEN I SPOKE TO HER, he does good work BUT HAS A HORRIBLE BUSINESS ETHIC AND NEEDS TO BRUSH UP ON HIS CLIENT RELATIONS IF HE EVER WANTS TO BE SUCCESFUL. Unfortunately this trend has continued and he hasn't learned his lesson and this happened in 2005 and I SEE PEOPLE STILL HAVE GET TO HIM VIA his PARENTS. DO NOT HIRE MIKE MODENA from CT d/b/a www.Phatom9.us

• Dr
      17th of Jun, 2009

add me to your list. i hired him for a few jobs and he totally dissapeared which hurt my relationship with a client. i also gave him money for a personal site that he ran off with. i now found a new company to handle my programming and no longer will deal with any freelance designers. what goes around comes around.

18th of Jun, 2009

Drew...I can't believe how many people he has scammed. I heard from paypal today and although they sided with me, I can't get my funds back. In total we are out $3500. We have the files to the website but he used an old program to do it and we are finding it incompatible with the current program that another person is using.

• Ob
      20th of Jan, 2010

I had the same experience 2 years ago. Hired him to build a persona website. $300.00 up front via googlecheckout.
    did'n hear from him for 3 weeks never saw anything aside from one image on one page, no text, zero - he promised a fully designed site and we had talked in detail. Never got any files or anything. Emailed for weeks, called for weeks. Called from a different number, he picked up and quickly hung up when he realized it was me.
    I was able to get the $$$ back from filing a complaint via googlecheckout but the kid is a complaint scammer. Truthfully, his work isn't even that good. I'd rather pay more for a professional. I've been checking the net for years to see if it ever caught up to him - glad to see people taking a proactive stance in smoking him out. I hope his life is ruined and can't find a job, buy a car or house, from all the people he's screwed.

• Ob
      20th of Jan, 2010

Let me add this link if it helps anyone locate the little thief:

He also has some videos under: phantom9 on Youtube

• Gb
      22nd of Mar, 2011

Unfortunately, I also was scammed by this punk back in 2007. I had found his ad on Craigslist in NYC. He was charging $250 for a website, so I had my assistant reach out to him and they went back and forth via email (with me bcc'd). We sent a paypal payment for half ($125), and NEVER heard from him again. Not even a mock site. Nothing. Nada...

I tried calling, emailing, you name it. Nothing worked. Never saw that money again. Watch out for this guy. He's a total fraud and rip-off artist.