MIAMI-DADE COMMUNTIY COLLEGE / FINANCIAL AID

1 Miami, FL, United States Review updated:

I have been goin back and forth for the two months finalizing all the details for my financial aid. Last week I thought all my worries about receiving aid were completely gone. Little did I know that this inconsistent and utterly CARELESS school was missing a form that is vital for my financial aid. They made no attempt to contact me and say: "miss you are missing a form." No sir, I still wouldnt have discoverd this if it were not from an email from the government informing me that I had received an award, but my financial aid was in need of verification! You can imagine how irate I was, having sacrificed my ENTIRE summer to dealing with my financial aid!!! The problem is that the campus that Im to attend had all the forms in their network, but for a not so strange reason, the campus where I did my aid DOES NOT HAVE IT IN THEIR SYSTEM. HOW THE HELL IS THAT POSSIBLE? These acts of carelessness has plagued some freshmans and has even led to some of them dropping out of college because the school messed up their financial aid and they cant afford to pay the tuition fee.

Comments

• Gl
      29th of Aug, 2008

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU I BEEN BACK N FORTH ALSO AND THEY EVEN DROPPED MY CLASSES MIAMI DADE COLLEGE IS ALL ###ED UP. I THOUGHT ABOUT DROPPING OUT MYSELF BUT I WILL SEE HOW THINGS GO B4 I MAKE THIS DRASTIC DISSION

• Md
      9th of Oct, 2009

Miami Dade has to be one of the worst colleges ever. Its sad how the north campus cant even pay their own teachers for a ###ing math lab. How are we supposed to pass our classes if its the schools fault we cant get out hours in. ###ing ###.

• Ev
      9th of Oct, 2009

I agree and i think that it's to a point where the students should protest against this. It's far more than just incompetence...their robbing thousands of students out of the rightful eductation that they deserve and work so hard for. The media needs to know about this and put them on blast because clearly MDC does not care. And the sad part is that they have AWESOME professors...I would not trade Miami Dade for anywhere else during my 2 years right now, but due to the negligence and unprofressionalism of the Financial Aid dept, my classes were dropped and I'm basically sitting like duck in water waiting for Miami Dade to process my application that I turned in WELL IN ADVANCE, in person and also hand carried my W2 forms and verifiication forms. THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS AND SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE.

• Gl
      9th of Apr, 2010

I agree with all of you. The customer service in Financial Aid is awefull. I have been going for 3 months to solve a financial aid-loan issue. We go there because we can't afford a private college. We submit all the paperwork, then we have to wait 2 weeks for loans to come into the school, meanwhile your classes get dropped, and if you try and register again, chances are your classes are full and you can't register again. Then the loan is ready to come in but it gets sent back because you are not registered in school for 6 credits. This is the most ###ed procedure I have ever seen in a college. Oh, and forgot about the short term loans. They won't give them to you if you have a debt with the school. Even if you are paying your debt in installments. Well, I probably would not have a debt if they processed the papers in a timely manner from day 1. They hire students and its great that they are helping them to pay for the classes but at least hire people that can speak English and not have a nasty attitude when you them questions. It's ok to say that you don't know the answer but will find someone that can assist them with the question. I am going back to a private University. At the end of the day, you get what you pay for. Cheap school, Cheap customer service and education.

• Je
      28th of Sep, 2011

My relationship with Miami Dade College has been unpleasant. I first registered in 2004, and had a lot of issues with the financial aid department - they made it nearly impossible for me to attend the school, and it was always trivial things that were crucial for my applications, but they never had the courtesy to contact me and say, "We haven't process your document, because you're missing..." Not once! So, as a student you're left in the dark and once you get upset and sick of waiting for an answer you go to their office, and wait, well, waste an entire day for them to come up with the stupidest excuse, "Our system is down". This is a favorite of them, their system is always down. The documents are never enough - they somehow enjoy playing with the education of the student. I got tired of their games, and decided to transfer to another institution. Not a smart move, because I ended up paying more. Fast forward to 2011, my younger sister had no other choice but to enroll in MDC, and things have not changed one bit. Now they are driving her insane with her financial aid. She has everything, and turns in all her documents on time - they're approved by the government (Stafford Loans) but they're missing the approval of CRAP MDC. They deny everything and have the gall to say her documents are incomplete.

I know this school is doing something very wrong, and they've been doing it for a long time. We're American citizens, and yet I've seen things in the school that are very unfair to children who are citizens - help given to those who don't deserve it, also nepotism. Everything in this school is wrong, and I'm going to find out. Starting with Financial Aid, your Art School (New World) another scam and your human resources department.

• Jh
      16th of Oct, 2011

I agree with all the above. The Financial Aid Office in the north campus is the worst financial aid office I have ever dealt with. The advisers ignore calls, messages faxes and emails. They do not notify a student if you are missing documents or request truly unnecessary documentation that makes the process of attending this school horrible. There is a lack of respect for students in this office and the same student aids in the department have no respect or sympathy for other students. They do higher the worst student to work there. Like some one who barely speaks English to answer phones. The staff is mean but I will say there are 1 to 2 good advisers that can help and have genuine interest in helping the others are just there maybe hating their jobs and making a nightmare to students who depend on their financial aid. The same goes for the Advisement department. This school is much a joke. I would like to find out where to file a grievance because this is truly ridiculous and disrespectful.

• Ms
      6th of Dec, 2011

Miami dade is horrible, no one picks up the phones the people that answer don't even understand english then, when u finally talk to someone at the admissions office not only do u find out, they lost all your paperwork including ur social photocopy but find out your placed as an international student and they scream at you. Moreover they are very rude uncaring people they were very fast at cashing my check but now the application is a mess . Bad experience north campus sucks forever

• Al
      23rd of Apr, 2013

Professor Lamont Missick (mdc hialeah campus) is the worst teacher on earth. I wish I could go back and redo that survey that I gave him all A's and bs on. Better yet, I wish I would have believed ratemyprofessor.com He gave me D's on nearly everything, and I tried my best. This guy is not teacher material. He seems to have a deep interest in drugs and police misconduct, but he doesnt have any English teacher in him. I never missed a class, I could write when I want to, but I had to do an extra credit assignment to get a C just to pass. I complained to him, and asked him for a no credit basically, but it was too late I think. I'm mad... How can i possibly deserve this grade I received (d?), where the [censored] was his mind! Isn't that an English class? I never learned anything from him. His style of teaching stinks all around. He's really not doing his job right. His grade meant a lot to me because it layed the foundation for my gpa since the classes before his have all been remidials. I would of done whatever I had to for a different grade. I think he's ### straight up and down. Shame on mdc for working with this guy!

8th of Aug, 2013

Same here! Sacrificed a full Summer of calling and emailing my adviser about something I saw on my student portal. Finally she decides to do her job, she was rude as hell about it but I called her and all she tells me is that SAP (Standards of Academic Progress) has to deal with financial aid and she can't help me... How come after 2 months of calling you and emailing you, you FINALLY decide to tell me that. So, I go out to the school today to take care of that; I have to get my financial aid reinstated because I took 5 classes and dropped 3 (before the drop date) and still passed the other 2 classes with a B. I get to the school and there's a sign on the door that says, 'Last day to submit Standards of Academic Progress Appeal is July 27th' I think I read it 10 times just to make sure I was reading it correctly, reading and looking at my phone to check the date. I know this adviser had to know that that day was the last day I could appeal to financial aid. Digressing, I'm not quitting school, although I really wanted to be in school this fall, I can't afford to pay for the classes on my own and do not want to take out a loan. I'm taking my talents elsewhere-Somewhere where they actually care about student success and not just about money. SCREW YOU MIAMI-DADE COLLEGE.

• Gm
      30th of Nov, 2013

They screwed me over 2 times already, they kept me out from going to the fall term this year and I said fine I'll be the bigger man and then I enrolled for the spring term and the "student advisor" screwed me over saying she didn't have any math scores so i couldn't finish from registering from classes and doing my schedule she told me take a test again and then to email. I kept myself from literally attacking her and I took the test now that I'm emailing her and called she said she'll get back to me, it's been 2 weeks. I'm gonna give her 3 more days and if she doesn't answer I'm going to call her for the rest of the week and if that doesn't work I'm going over there and try my best from literally smashing her face in and demand that I either get a new student advisor or give me my 30 dollars for applying back

• Da
      23rd of Sep, 2014

Miami Dade College Financial Aid is terrible. The staff at the front desk are ill-informed, although they pretend like they know what they are doing. Before they even know your situation, they give you false information, and get snappy if you disagree or ask further questions. You have to know who to call on the phone, because the desk staff will give you a hard time if you try to get past them and get an appointment. Last term MDC financial aid held my federal student loan until the fifth week of classes, and even then didn't process it until I started making phone calls and found out who to call. It is as if they are trying to deter you from getting your aid, when they should be facilitating it. They treat you like you are asking them for a favor, rather than letting you have a loan for which you have qualified and which you have been granted. There are a few nice and helpful people on the inside of the office, but it is a struggle to get them on the phone or get an appointment.

• Da
      23rd of Sep, 2014

If you are new to MDC and have or are getting a student loan, the first thing you need to know is that the transcript department wants a transcript of every class you have taken in any college or university, including a high school transcript. If they find out anything is missing, they won't tell you, they just won't let you progress any further. Once you pass that hurdle, you will need help to fill-out the online FAFSA forms (each term), which are now extremely confusing and difficult to complete. When you print it out it is a packet you need to submit. The next thing is to get a short-term loan from MDC. This costs hundreds of dollars towards your tuition (a percentage of your tuition), plus a $40 processing fee that MDC keeps. This is so after you register, your classes won't be dropped before your loan comes in. If you are not registered at least half-time when your loan comes in, you will not get it. This term they are trying to get me to pay an additional $600 to cover tuition until my loan is in. But guess what? Its in, but Financial Aid won't release it! MDC Fin. Aid is under-staffed, under-trained, and simply does not care about students!