MHA Group / Overbilled, unethical

1 5001 Statesman DriveIrving, TX, United States Review updated:
Phone: 800-876-0500

I was brought in as the Director of Physician Recruiting, and found that MHA Group, Merritt Hawkins and Associates, or AMN Healthcare (all the same firm), was listed all over the Internet. Everyone in the industry is pretty leery of all the search firms, but I thought I would give them a try. We needed three new physicians, two of which were Internists and one which was an OB/GYN.

To me these are fairly easy searches being that they aren't higher end specialties...i.e. surgeons. Well the Marketer kept constant communication with me, and even flew up from Dallas to see me before beginning the search. After signing the contract though everything changed.

A physician recruiter came up the week after signing the contract to "learn about our opportunity." He seemed very bright, was charming, and we were excited to move forward. At the end of his presentation he told us we needed to do a mail campaign, and had a contract already printed out which totaled 20k across all searches. This made me a bit nervous as this was never discussed in the original contract or with the other rep, but we moved forward as the physician recruiter explained that it would target the candidates we were looking for in a faster timeframe.

Well a month later we received the first invoice. It had the 20k for the mail pieces, and an ungodly amount of "billable hours" for time various people spent on the search (a total of 5 people). I called the marketer (original rep) and wanted to know why the search was already so expensive when we just got started, and that all of these people were already working it before the mail pieces even hit. He basically pushed me back to the physician recruiter.

Well the next week my own doctors and those in my general area received copies of the mail pieces. The search was supposed to have been kept confidential to those on my staff, and I was told the mail pieces would be sent elsewhere. This caused great upset with our staff, and I could have easily spent my time calling doctors in the general area. What a waste!

For the next 4 weeks the only contact I had with the physician recruiter was random CV's being sent over on candidates that we had already stated we wouldn't be interested in. None of the qualifications matched what I stated we were looking for. Again a waste of my time and our money! And then to top it off I received another invoice for "billable hours" which was again very high. Moreover, it showed that the recruiter worked for 4 hours on my search on a day he had previously told me he'd be out of town.

So I called Tony Schnapp, the Vice President of Physician Recruiting. He said that his employee worked on the road and that was the reason for the charged time. I then called my representative and without telling him about my conversation with Mr. Schnapp asked him how his trip was. He told me it was a trip to Florida for a wedding.

Feeling doubtful that he'd spent 4 hours working as Mr. Schnapp had stated I immediately canceled the search. I will never work with this company again. The lack of communication was upset, I feel like we've been lied to, and the CV's that we did receive were worthless. We spent over 35k and have nothing to show for it.

Comments

• Ty
      15th of Jan, 2010

MHA are idiots

• Jg
      29th of Jan, 2010

You seem to be a former Merritt Hawkins employee. I have worked with them for 8 years now and have had plenty of physicians placed with us. If you got a bill and you felt you got no service then WHY DID YOU PAY??? Stupid...I have recruiters who have met a physician on the way to a vacation or made phone calls or did paper work while on the road...OH YEAH!!! I know for a fact the guy you mentioned in here is now working for the competition...Merritt Hawkins only "Keeps the best" who has been working for me for a long time...you will have your rep back some time soon because you will not be using Merritt Hawkins, but you "obviously will never let the best back, Merritt Hawkins" because you have no brain...IF YOU ARE NOT SERVED DON'T PAY THE BILL"!!

• As
      31st of Aug, 2010

We've placed over 45 physicians in our healthcare system. No relationship is perfect whether in your personal life or in business. However we've found that MHA is committed to our end game, and works to correct any misgivings that ever occur. They are the benchmark by which others are measured still. If you had a question about an invoice, you could have picked up the phone to talk to your dedicated recruiter.

• Oy
      6th of May, 2011

U goddat rite!!

• Oy
      6th of May, 2011

I heard dat!!

• 19
      1st of Jun, 2011

I was retained by Merritt Hawkins to cover a cannabis evaluation clinic in Sacramento in April 2011. As of this writing, I have yet to be paid! I am owed close to $3000. I will never again speak well of MHA unless I get the money I am owed! I believe if MHA pushes hard enough, they'll get their $14, 000 fee and I'll get my $3, 000! Even crooks have a degree of ethics which Sacramento's 'My 420 Relief' did not!