Metropolitan Movers and storage

Posted:

Whats really happening to your things in storage

Hello My name is Erica L. I don't know if this story will ever be ran, but I feel the people of Chicago should know about this. It started when me and my partner had Metropolitan Moving And storage company move our things into our new home. To say they did a crap job is being kind. Most of our things were damaged and missing. Kitchen table that was supposed to be wrapped tightly and kept in a storage facility came to my house with what looked like water stains caused by not using a coaster. 6 month old 500 dollar coffee table had one of the drawers ripped off, microwave stand broken, hanging wall mirror had the paper backing ripped off, boxes with kitchen and bathroom things lost or stolen. I say stolen because when I asked one of the movers where my 19 inch spare television was the guy said he didn't know and gave me some one else's television, over hearing this exchange one of his co-workers replied by saying "yeah that television has a better picture anyway!!" When told about all of this the warehouse managers at this company did not offer a discount they offered to send one of their handymen to come out and fix what they can. As far as the boxes go they just cant find them. When we stopped payment on the check and closed the account until we could come to a reasonable and fair agreement, they threatened to file criminal charges against my partner citing she stole our own items. Not once did we get an apology or did we get our missing items back. I hope and pray that you find it in your heart to run this story because I believe Chicago should know what goes on in some of these so-called storage facilities. Hopefully you will find others who have been the victim of I say crimes like this one who are willing to stand up for themselves.

Complaint comments Comments (7)    Updated: Complaint country United States Complaint category Movement & Delivery

Comments

A  20th of Dec, 2010 by    +1 Votes
I used Metropolitain Movers here in Calgary. Not once was I informed that they would sub contract the work out to someone else. I would not have used them had I known! The "company" (which i use loosely) that came to move me was Jussusa Inc and they showed up in a 1 tonne Uhaul truck. They had no dollies for the boxes or starpes even for moving heavy furniture. In fact my boyfriend and his friends moved all of it out of our condo and downstairs for them! They had to charge their cell phone, complained that it was cold outside, bummed cigarettes, and then when I tried compaining they started to get abusive. I called Metropolitan on the day of the move to complain and the girl said she understood and to only pay them half. When I tried, the movers became verbally abusive to myself as well as my elerderly mother in law. I called again on monday and was told they Metropolitan could do nothing about it as they only booked the movers. I vowed then and there to post everywhere I could to make sure this does not happen to anyone again!
A  17th of Jul, 2012 by    +1 Votes
Unfortunately my husband and I used this scam of a company too in Calgary and we had the worst experience!! We also were not made aware when I booked them a month in advance that they subcontracted their movers out to inexperienced, unprofessional people. The people they sent to us (and we found out at the end of the move when we got our receipt) that we actually had "father and son's moving". Well, I should have seen the red flag when I called a day in advance to confirm our moving appointment when the girl sounded confused and like she didn't understand why I was calling or who I was. She kind of brushed me off and hung up without so much as a goodbye. Moving day arrived and we had our time set for 11am. I should mention that we actually had to pay to move out of our condo as we had to have a supervisor come and sit all day and monitor the doors. So, my husband and I went and got Timmies for the supposed two movers and sat and waited. Noon rolls around and we start to get ancy and call dispatch. The lie to us and tell us that they are on their way and will be there soon.. Fine.. The poor maintenance guy's been sitting here since 9 am waiting, hat sucks for him, but he is being paid to sit on his butt. 2 pm rolls around and we call again.. We get lied to and told that their truck broke down and they needed to repair it.. Another hour.. So I have to tell the maintenance guy again, he starts to get mad. We get a call from the actual movers an hour and a half later, they are actually stuck at another job and will be till later but they are hurrying.. They didn't hurry, they have no clue.. After I break about 15 different condo rules and get verbally abused by the guy who has been sitting around waiting for this move, these lazy jerks show up at my condo 7 HOURS LATE.. They tell us that our job is easy, an hour, two hours tops as it was a small 1 bedroom condo... Ya, no... 5 hours later and my husband and I doing most of the work, we finally got the truck loaded. I should mention also, we got movers because I have stage 5 - end stage renal disease and am waiting for a transplant and have no energy anymore, I still did more than these clowns! I should also let you know that they dropped my $3, 000.00 camera box, luckily I am smart enough to not have my camera in there or let them touch my really delicate stuff, and they also rolled their greasy, muddy dolly wheels all over the white carpet of the condo we were moving out of and the guy couldn't get the stain out. They heavily dented our walls - new and old place, broke almost every piece of furniture we have, slid heavy objects on our brand new dark hard wood after getting explicit instruction to just place down on the floor, not slide things and to keep all furniture away from the walls. They broke handmade family heirlooms, and they also asked my husband for some of our liquor bottles that were boxed away, asked my husband if he did drugs or had any drugs, make racist comments about our neighbors, and insulted the snacks that I stupidly had supplied for them. This isn't even everything that happened!! When dispatch called the next day and asked about things, I was honest and the lady couldn't get me off the line fast enough and made no mention of repercussion or any way to make amends... Shameful - stay away!!!
N  18th of Jul, 2012 by    +1 Votes
DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY! METROPOLITAN MOVERS IN CALGARY ARE CON ARTISTS. They are CRIMINALS. They jokers they sent to move us STOLE from us, they broke 3 items of furniture, (including a brand new appliance) they were purposefully slow, and when we tried to resolve our issue with thier customer service department afterwards, it was a SCAM!! They don't return phone calls, They were unprofessional, and ultimately, it was the WORST moving experience of my life. DO NOT TAKE YOUR CHANCES!!!
N  9th of Aug, 2012 by    0 Votes
I used Metropoltian movers for a recent move and found the whole company from start to finish was a complete SCAM!

The movers showed up in a truck that wasn’t big enough adding extra trips onto the move and of course extra money. During the move they damaged my items and then didn’t even have the decency to tell me. The movers were all extremely inexperienced, dropping items outside on the ground and leaving several dents in my wall and were so SLOW that I ended up calling some friends to come and help!! The ‘customer service’ for the company were just as bad, and the address the company has registered with the BBB and on the internet isn’t even legitimate as I spoke with the owner of the building of 555 4 ave sw and he stated they have never had an office there!! I guess that why they have an F rating with the BBB!
It was by far the WORST moving experience I have ever had. DO NOT USE this company if you care about your belongings and your new house!!
N  6th of Sep, 2012 by    0 Votes
I would like to add, : don't use this company in London Ontario as well. Actually all over States and Canada. All said above is true, SLOW, inexperienced, rude and the list goes on. Add on that, they refuse to give you back any money for the items damaged. I am hoping one day someone will sue them and the customer would finally win!
N  6th of Sep, 2012 by    0 Votes
Here is the email I sent them complaining and the reply is below. Their movers even don't tell the truth!

ISSUES REGARDING THE MOVERS BEHAVIOUR, PROFESSIONALISM, AND ATTITUDE:

1-The moves were extremely slow. Taking their time as slow as
possible. One mover with smoke breaks, and the other 'Charles' on the
phone. Some of it was on Bluetooth but he was wondering around while
he was on the phone.
2-As such, I had to call in for help from my friends and family our the
city. The total number was 5 ppl in addition to myself that had to
help.
And despite all that, loading the truck completed in 3 hs!! A 3
bedroom apartment in 3 hrs!
3-After 2.5 hrs, they realized that they are running late, Charles
asked us to work! He asked us to wrap the furniture with blankets. So I
am not sure who hired who!
4-When arriving at the town house, and unloading, they just started
unloading things randomly everywhere in the house, piling them up.
5-When they asked that something goes one flight up, they started going
up with their shoes. And when we asked them to take off their shoes,
the
response was, "umm..sure we can take it off but this will take more
time, you know". And that response came with a lot of attitude. So they
went one flight up, then they went down, and again took their time in
putting the shoes back on! So again doing their best to waste time as
much as they can!,
6-As a result of their slowness again, I have had to call my friends
for
help again. In total, 4 ppl started to help. I asked them not to go
upstairs again, and myself along with my friends, were taking the stuff
that belonged to the bedroom upstairs.
7-Although they went upstairs carrying things only once, and another
time to unwrap the blanket over one piece of furniture, Charles
insisted to put in the receipt the $45 charge. I told him, you haven't
gone upstairs. He said, again with lots of attitude: "Well, I have gone
up..I have gone up 4 times".
8- It took them 1 hr 45 min to get from London to Kitchener!

ISSUES REGARDING THE MOVERS CARE OF FURNITURE:
1- couch was never wrapped in any kind of blanket.The uncovered couch
cushions was put on the floor in front of the elevator with no care
what so ever. As a results, the couch and the chair are dirty and I
would have to hire a steaming company, I am not sure who should cover
this cost.
2-While they were trying to get the couch, one of the movers hit the
arm
wrist, in attempt to push out of the door, with the bottom of his
boots!
3-The dining table has some scratches on it as they were trying to get
it in the townhouse. Although the scratches are minor,
they compromise the overall look of the $1300 table we recent;y
invested in. Pictures are attached.

This has been a very terrible experience for us. In addition to myself
not using your company services again, my family and friends, some of
whom are moving soon, mentioned that they would never consider using
your services any more. Furthermore, they went on to advice
their colleagues not to use your services. In fact, one of my friends
started creating a Facebook page about your company to detail that
experience we had, however, I asked him to hold on for now.I am not
sure
if this is a one time incident or a regular occurrence. That's why I am
holding on not to go online and copy this complaint letter in any
review section, in attempt from me to see how this case would be
resolved.

I would like to get the reference number of the booking. I
am formally disputing the amount charged on the receipt, for the
stairs charge and for the time. And wondering how to go on about the
dining table (see attached) and the dirty couch and chair.

REPLY:

Firstly allow me to thank you for taking the time to send us your concerns
as we do value customer feedback thus to enhance our services. Your formal
complaint has been read, reviewed and discussed with our crew.

Our crew arrived at your pickup location at 9am to be greeted by a
disgruntled man, suggesting our truck provided would not hold a 2 bedroom
home (when in fact all your items were transported in one trip) our crew
collectively told us how they were treated telling us that the treatment
bestowed upon them made it an uncomfortable environment to work within.

The gentleman with the Bluetooth was the crew supervisor taking direction
for his supervisor he was not on the phone at all times; the claim you are
making be invalid.

I kindly ask you to look back at what you informed, you indicate you had 5
people assisting in loading the truck (our crew consisted of 2) it still
took 3 hrs to completely load your personal effect. How is that the movers
fault? You had a fully 2 bedroom home. Even with 5 able bodies the required
time to load is what it is...

Our movers indicated that you expressed you were in a hurry pushed the crew
to work harder, faster, the crew informed if you are that much in a hurry
you can cover some of your items with the blankets etc... To speed up the
process. You voluntarily agreed it was not forced upon.

Our crew(s) cannot remove their shoes on a move it becomes a safety concern
when moving heavy items up and down stairs, bootie covers are slippery no
longer allowed as it has caused accidents in past - personal liability
insurance will deny claims as all our crew(s) be required to wear safety
boots while on the job. This is not something new many service companies
will all attest they are not allowed to use bootie covers.

Our crew was not impressed with the treatment the received but in all
fairness I have also have spoken to the crew; expressing that they conduct
themselves in a more professional manner as well in future.

Wrapping of personal effect is not included in the truck fee or hourly rates
provided it is an additional charge to which was not noted nor asked of.

Blankets are included; if you needed any personal items wrapped it was to
be mentioned at the time of order (was not told to us) the wrap material
would have been placed on the truck if you had requested such. Each item to
professionally wrap costs $15.00

Our movers were told by one person not to go upstairs; than another told
them to go upstairs our movers frustrated with the treatment they endured
placed the boxes down claiming unworkable conditions and mistreatment. Our
movers did what was asked of them; however they did come back saying how
hard the client made it for us to complete the move.

Travel time from your pickup address: 814-535 Proudfoot Lane to drop off:
Unit C-17 20 David Bergy Drive (driving time) took 1 hour and 44mins, yes
our crew was correct in charging that time- clients do not get charged until
they arrive at pickup and it ceases upon completion of order.

Travel time between pick up and drop off is at client expense. All our
calls be recorded the $45.00 one time stair fee was explained and agreed
upon, the exact date and time 8/25/2012 2:26:34 PM the order was actually
agreed and placed by Meckkey El Shernouby we will not and cannot refund a
charge that was told and agreed upon prior to service.

If you would like to verify the driving distance I kindly invite you to
input the addresses on Google map it clearly will provide the travel time
and distance.

The elevators used to move your personal effect were small and dirty this
not be our movers fault if your items got dirty or scratched due to above we
suggest you take up the expense with the building superintendent and seek
compensation from them directly. We will not take damage claims when the
pickup location service elevator was dirty and small- damages we will not
cover. Damages our crew caused will be covered once proven.

We strongly suggest you reconsider issuing false statements about the
service we provide- we are a well respected company with awards to attest to
the service we provide. Should you decide to open a facebook or twitter link
to discredit our company this e-mail will be stored to where possible legal
action can be taken against you.

The total hours it took to complete the move 5 hours, the travel time 1 hour
44 mins $45.00 stair fee was expressed at time of order, no extra materials
were requested our crew is permitted to take 2 15 min breaks every two hours
per body paid.

Our terms and conditions on our website explain our services in great
detail, we hide nothing everything is in black and white.

In closing we have the move contract you signed and that of the credit card
slip agreeing to our terms and agreed to pay $909.65 for services rendered.
A copy of your email, our response, contracts will be saved stored in event
of charge back under wrongful pretences.

Thank you for writing us unfortunately we have to decline any rebate or
refund, we respectfully consider this matter closed with no further
discussion.
A  8th of Jan, 2014 by    0 Votes
THIS COMPANY DELIVERED LATE (TOOK THEM AN HOUR LONGER THAN IT SHOULD) BUT WE DID NOT SAY MUCH AS THEY DID GET THERE AND WHO KNOWS IF THEY HAD TROUBLES. LATER WE FIND 3 BOXES OF STUFF MISSING AND A STEP LADDER. WHEN QUESTIONED ABOUT IT, THEY DID ADMIT TO STOPING TO PURCHASE AND USE POT. BUT SWEAR NO ONE WENT INTO THE BACK OF THE TRUCK. MY HUSBAND HANDED THEM THESE BOXES PERSONALLY AS THEY WERE THE LAST TO GO IN, CONTAINING OUR BEDROOM/BATHROOM ITEMS USED THAT MORNING AND A FEW MOVIES WE HAD KEPT OUT FROM THE REGULAR PACK TO WATCH OVER THE LAST WEEK BEFORE OUR MOVE. AS WELL AS THE LADDER I USED WHEN CLEANING WALLS THAT MORNING. ALL ARE MISSING AND THE COMPANIES RESPONSE WAS "THIS HAPPENS ALL THE TIME, WITHOUT RECIEPTS THATS TOO BAD FOR THEM, JUST IGNORE THEM AND EVENTUALLY THEY WILL GO AWAY." ACCORDING TO THE GUY WHO WAS IN CHARGE OF OUR MOVE. I WOULD HIGHLY NOT RECOMMEND THEM IF YOU WANT ALL YOUR STUFF AS WHO KNOW WHO THEY SUBCONTRACT TO, (YEAH THEY DID NOT ACTUALLY DO THE MOVE WE FOUND OUT) THEY ARE RIGHT, I DO NOT HAVE EVERY RECIEPT (JUST HALF ITEMS LIKE A COUPLE LAMP SHADES WITH OUT LAMPS, MOVIE BOXES WITH OUT DVD'S AND DVD'S WITHOUT BOXES AS THOSE I HAD IN MY PURSE WHEN I FOUND THEM UNDER A CURTAIN WHERE THE TV WAS) MISSING ITEMS THAT WERE GIFTS I KNOW I RECEIVED AS I USED THEM DAILY (HAIR DRYER AND FLAT IRON) MY MAKE UP ECT)...BUT THESE WERE ITEMS ACCRUED OVER YEARS AND NOT MAJOR OR WARRANTY ITEMS SO NO I DID NOT HAVE RECEIPTS!!! THIS IS A DISGUSTING RESPONSE FOR A MOVING COMPANY TO HAVE!!! NONE OF THE BOXES WERE NUMBERED/LABELLED AS PER OTHER MOVING COMPANIES I USED YEARS AGO, SO YEAH I THINK THIS DOES HAPPEN TO THEM ALLOT CAUSE THEY KNOW THEY CAN GET AWAY WITH IT!!! OH AND THEY PUT A HUGE DING IN OUR WALL MOVING STUFF IN BUT JUST SAID OOPS SOMETIMES STUFF HAPPENS

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree