MetLife Dental / insurance coverage

VA, United States Review updated:

MetLife is junk insurance--for patients and for the dental team. A sham... having served in the military, it's embarrassing to see the Federal Government, military services affiliated with this type of substandard product; MetLife dental insurance is what happens when Americans’ dental needs are forced to take a back seat to an insurance company’s financial interests.

Comments

• Al
      21st of May, 2012

I AGREE METLIFE DENTAL IS AN ABSOLUTE JOKE. THEY "CONVIENIENTLY" DID NOT RECEIVE MY CLAIM I SENT FOR THE 3RD TIME, WHICH HAPPENED TO BE IN THE MORE EXPENSIVE PROCEDURES. HMMMM THEY HOLD CHECKS THAT HAVE ALREADY BEEN PROCESSED FOR EXAMPLE THE WEBSITE FOR PROVIDERS TO VIEW CLAIMS SAYS RECEIVED 5/17/12 PROCESSED 5/21/12 (TODAY'S DATE) AND DATE PAID TO THE EMPLOYER 5/29/12. WHICH IN FACT WAS CAME AFTER THE "PROBABLY IT GOT LOST IN THE MAIL" STATEMENT I HAVE HEARD BEFORE!!!
    HOW CAN WE RUN A BUSINESS IF WE ARE CONSTANTLY ON THE PHONE WITH METLIFES CUSTOMER SERVICE AND INCONVENIENTLY HAVING THE PATIENT CALL AND DEAL WITH THIER INCOMPITANCY.
    Frustrated dental professional,
    Alyssa Gillam, RDA

• Tc
      22nd of May, 2013

Lots of that going around..

• Zi
      3rd of Feb, 2014

I have served in the military for 16 years and I am in firm agreement with this comment. Not only do they not cover ortho, but they charge an exorbitant rates. Why would tri-care not cover dental!!!

23rd of Dec, 2014

I agree. I have been in the militarty for over 23 years and in Okinawa using OCONUS dental plan. I have been working with Metlife for 6 months trying to get reimbursed. First they wanted a copy of the dental record to go with the bill. No problem I got a copy from the Japanese dentist and sent it. After not hearing anything for awhile I called them. Said they would get more information and follow up. Never heard from them again. Called back a month later after not hearing anything. I called 800 number to follow up from last month where I was told I would receive information about my claim. I had not heard anything. I asked the customer service rep what had transpired since my last call. Initially he talked about not receiving a record of care. I then quoted him the exact day I sent the dental record along with when I received the email receipt saying they had received it. He said that the dental record was illegible and could not be translated. I questioned him as to whether the entire dental record was illegible and he said no. I verbalized I didn't understand why they could not reimburse for the parts that were legible. He could not answer that. Then I asked him why I had not received information about they specifically needed if they were missing information. Didn't have a real good answer but eventually said he would send me an explanation of benefits. I asked that it included an explanation about what they specifically needed. He provided me a snail mail address of the complaint department after I asked but did not have an electronic means to contact them. Seems like another obstacle / road block to reimburse people.