Merlin MoneyPraying on the vulnerable

S Review updated:

I found myself in a particularly tight financial spot and, due to a below average credit score, strted applying to the 'lower end of the market' lenders. Whilst on my net travels, I stumbled, (and I mean stumbled), across the Merlin Money site. I filled in the details, (as I had with previous lending organisations), and also included my bank card details, (which also wasn't surprising as many of the more short term lenders ask for this). I was gutted when I received an email advising that Merlin Money were taking £29.50 from my account to offer me advice services... I wanted - and needed a quick fix loan, not a list of lenders who I had already dealt with, (or avoided depending on the lender). I was not aware at all, at the time of registering on the Merlin Money site, that they were a 'broker' who charged £29.50 for, let's put it bluntly, nothing. I have emailed the customer services department and have not received a reply. I will now write a physical letter to request a full refund, but I don't hold out much hope. These people should be banned from the marked - they are literally praying on the finanially unfortunate in the most disgusting way. At the time I was applying for a small loan, (I am talking about £150 here), the last thing I needed was for money to be leaving my account instead - albeit with a 'future' debit date.
Is there really no law protecting the citizens of the UK from these foul parasites? I find it hard to believe that they're allowed to operate as they do. If anyone else has any Merlin Money stories, I would love to hear them!

Comments

• R
      Aug 16, 2011

I agree with you . They are an absolute con. I went on there same as you only small loan of £200, i thought i had been accepted, then there website was joined to another!! complete nightmare. I gave my bank details for loan to be paid into and it wasnt made clear they were a broker at all. Received email then telling me they are taking £29.50 for the service !! checked bank they took £37.50. Loads of emails later asking for refund, they ask me to write to customer services manager. Have done so but no reply . The company joined to there website also took £57.00 off me as well but they were really good and gave me full refund after i explained . Why cant Merlin Money do the same !! You cant even ring anyone as they have no customer services number. Its a terrible way to con someone from money when all you want is a small loan to begin with . Warning- NEVER USE THIS COMPANY

• M
      Sep 10, 2011

I have to agree also. The same happened to me. £39 was taken from my account instantly. No loan just as said above list of 3 companies that I might want to apply to. Merlin gave me a breakdown of their loan which I agreed to, only to have nothing at the end of it. Nothing but a bill for 40 quid. I really wish my bank was empty!
    It clearly us a scam and I will be going to watchdog about this. Pronto!!!
    AVOID AT ALL COSTS... OR PAY THEIR COST!!!

• B
      Oct 11, 2011

Exactly the same thing happened to me, if you want your money back i would suggest calling your bank and informing them of this scam company... They returned my money instantly.. I'm with the HSBC btw..

• R
      Mar 23, 2013

I only browsed the net looking for a loan with wonga they refused me 6weeks later 39.50 went out of my bank from this merlin loans there is a number but no one ever answers disgusting I tell you,

• S
      Mar 27, 2013

the same has happend to me Merlin loans took £39.95 from my bank also never received any loan what so ever. it's an absolute joke and I want my money.I don't see how the banks let people take money that's not been authorised and will be taking this matter further.

• H
      May 12, 2014

Is there an email address for Merlin loans?

• C
      Jun 20, 2014

[protected]@merlinloan.co.uk there is an email address for Merlinloans for you. i am having some trouble from them too. i got £49.99 took out my account and i wasnt even looking for a loan and didnt know who the company was and now they say £15 is the only refund i am going to get. i am not working and they took the rest of my money off me, and they dont care one bit. stay away from them at all costs

• A
      Jun 24, 2014

This company has taken £49.99 out of my bank account unknowingly, I have never heard of this company. I called Merlin Loans asking for a refund and they said I had to send a letter asking for the refund with a proof of ID. They offerered me £15 back as a good gesture to which i refused as I did not apply for this loan company or heard of them and would like the whole amount refunded. This has caused me a lot of distress as I have not had any money to pay bills, food shopping etc. I havent recieved a loan, I first went onto LoansDirectUK to which they have then passed on my details to other companies, which are taking money out of my bank account.

• H
      Jul 28, 2014

all said abov, if this isnt sorted my solicitor will be adding his fees on topyou took 70 out of my bank account by my knowledge and ive tried ringing email and even wrote.my next correspondance with you will be done by solicitors unless i hear asnything today.you will incur all theses cost.or ring me [protected]