Merchants Credit Guide Co. / Unsolicited phone calls

1 223 W. Jackson Blvd. STE 4Chicago, IL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 312-360-3000

This company has been sending me letters to settle a debt that is 5 years old, just recently i received a call harassing me to pay them. The original debtor has already charged off the debt and now Merchants Credit Guide wants to collect it. I was actually considering paying them off because they were offering me to pay half of the debt. Good thing I checked my credit report and proceeded to checking that agency and leaded me to this site. Now that i have informed myself i will deal with them.

Comments

• Jc
      21st of Apr, 2009

I received a letter stating I owed $300+ dollars and must pay immediately or set up a 3 payment plan. I contacted my phone service, which was noted as the original creditor. I was confused inasmuch as I have auto-pay with my phone company, so they take out payments each month automatically -- no bills to miss or payments to overlook. The phone company confirmed that I'm a VIP member, have not missed a payment since joining them, and they show no lapse in payment at any time. Further, they stated I would not be a VIP member had I ever been sent to collections. Further still, they stated they handle all collections in-house, and that my phone would have been shut off had my bill become delinquent to the point where their own credit department had to step in. Merchants Credit Guide Co. has to be a phishing scam. Regardless, I will be sending them a letter via snailmail, delivery receipt requested and will pursue the matter further in an attempt to find out if there is a Better Business Bureau or other agency that can investigate and ensure that Merchants Credit Guide Co. is legitimate.