Merchandise Direct / Terrible experience!

1 # 400 Return Rd WallingfordWallingford, CT, United States Review updated:

I wrote a report last night about getting ripped off by Merchandise Direct. I ordered 2 Buxton Bags and 2 hand-held voice reminders. I returned all of the items and it cost me approximately $10.00 and I sent them Return Receipt Requested which is more expensive! I received approximately $30 back instead of the $66.70 paid. Today I called the company and was told that the remainder of the money was for shipping/handling!

I said 'there was never an invoice in the bag... how would I know that? When I called in the order the TV ad did not indicate nor did the voice mail indicate that it was that much'. The sweet girl on the other end said 'I'm really sorry but that is our standard shipping fee'. I could tell she did feel bad for such a ripoff. So... I will never purchase another thing from television. Sadly there are companies that are honest that advertise on TV but Merchandise Direct has hurt these companies.

Perhaps these other businesses should start looking into the matter.

Va

Comments

• Ka
      16th of Sep, 2008

Ordered a name brand handbag - fake knockoff bag was sent.

7th of Oct, 2008

My 91 year old mother was ripped-off by Merchandise Direct. She ordered 1 order of Aqua Globes from a tv commerical and the order came with a free order which equalled 8 aqua globes in all. They sent 3 order with 3 free orders.

The charge was supposed to be $19.99 and became $143 plus change.

I can't find their phone number to call them

• Ly
      23rd of Oct, 2008

I ordered two Buxton bags from them, one was supposed to be 19.95 and one an upgrade for 29.95. They were received and botth were the cheap verson. The smae item number.

• Li
      31st of Oct, 2008

I ordered 2 Loud & Clear headsets @ $19.95 each plus $7.95 shipping & handling. This should total $54.07 U.S. however I was billed $94.48 Cdn. $54.07 U.S. does not convert to $94.48 Cdn.

I was not happy with the products so I returned them only to receive a credit of $67.58. I placed a call to them & was told that I had to pay the shipping & handling of $26.90 which is the difference.

I have never had to pay the shipping & handling on any item that I return. I have ordered many products through the TV & also Book & Movie clubs & have never had to pay the shipping & handling for anything returned.

What can be done to retrieve my money? I am not familiar with such rip-offs. I will never order anything from Merchandise Direct again. I am also leary about ordering anything from TV ads again.

Lila Khan

26th of Nov, 2008

I ordered PEDIPAWS from an add on TV. I received my order, that should have contained the PEDIPAW and a free shedding comb, for 29.95. There wasn't any billing with it, nor did I receive the free comb. It took over an hour to call about this order. I kept getting the same responce.."there is no order sent to me". They charged my credit card $43.97 for my order but they could not find it. I called 5 different numbers and none of them (Merchandise Direct) could bring up my account. I will never buy from a TV promotional add again!!!

• Re
      30th of May, 2009

I purchased 3 golf clubs; a "hammer" driver, a 3 wood and a 5 wood. It took five weeks to get them and my Visa account was charged $181.94 on 4/9/2009.

I did not like the clubs so I returned them a week later on 4/16/2009 with a "signature confirmation receipt" at a cost of $19.04. I received a confirmation that the clubs were delivered on 4/21/2009 and signed for and as of 5/30/2009 I have not received or heard anything.

Based on the negative comments that I have read, I guess that I too will be an unhappy "x" customer. I guess that I will another person who will never buy from a TV promotional add again.

Rene P. Franken

• Wa
      24th of Jan, 2010

I ordered the"Wow Storage System", total junk, cheap plastic, "fresh lock tabs" do not go over container to click shut, the hinges are cheap plastic and will quickly break off in a short time. I want to return them to get credit on my card but after reading all the problems everyone has had with purchases from them, I will propbably go straight to my credit card company with my complaint.

Audrey M Walsh

• Ro
      26th of Feb, 2010

I phoned in an order for 2 books of Grandpa's 5001 Handyman Secrets and they sent me 10. I got stuck with the shipping charges for all the extra books and also for the return costs. Won't deal with them again.

Rod Elenbaas

• Be
      6th of Apr, 2010

I ordered the "Grandpa's 5001 Handyman Secrets" book with the buy one/get one free offer on TV for my two sons. The order came today...10 books in all!!! There was no bill included in the box. I called Merchandise Direct and was told to return the 8 books that I didn't order for which I will now have to return at my own expense, plus I want to make sure that they do receive the books so it will cost me additional $$$.

This is a very lousy company to deal with. I learned a valuable lesson. I will no longer purchase anything that I see on television again. They are big rip-offs.

T. Elick, a not satisfied customer in PA.

• Gi
      23rd of Mar, 2012

You charge to our credit card the amount of $ 85.79 instead of $ 14.99 this is fraud.